WORK EXPERIENCE

ManVsCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 31 days left…jeez what takes so long For my society they only meet once a month and thus do it then not in the interim. Probably the same for your society.

mpnoonan: How many days did you have left before they approved?

I have applied in the beginning of Feb. It has been over 3 weeks. I haven’t seen any update on the website. The status is shown as " work experience review"… Any similar experience?

Melaine Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have applied in the beginning of Feb. It has > been over 3 weeks. I haven’t seen any update on > the website. The status is shown as " work > experience review"… > > Any similar experience? My first submission took close to a month. My second submission is now going on 2 weeks. It’s normal and you should expect a response sometime soon. I would be surprised if it were to take longer than a month for CFAI to approve.

ManVsCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mpnoonan: > > How many days did you have left before they > approved? 13 or so

CFAI approved experience today (13 days to approve)… Society review begins…

glendronach Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFAI approved experience today (13 days to > approve)… Society review begins… Glendronach, wow! Congratulations! How do you know CFAI approved your experience? You checked online application status? What does it say?

glendronach Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > notenoughtheta Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I got some of my experience rejected but I > still > > have to work for another year or so to get to > 4. > > Is it worth it to resubmit my work experience > now > > so that when I hit 4 years I automatically > click > > over to being a full member, or should I wait > > until I have 4 years before resubmitting? > > The system won’t even let you resubmit/upgrade > until you’ve got 48 months of cumulative > experience in your profile. I tried to do the > same thing, but the system fired back an ‘error’ > message. I contacted the CFAI and they suggested > including irrelevant experience if I wanted to get > the rejected work experience reviewed again. In > the end, there’s no point because I think you’ll > still have to apply for an upgrade once you hit 48 > months of relevant experience (I don’t think it’s > automatic, but I could be wrong). However, if > your rejected work experience gets accepted the > second time around, and that puts you over the 48 > month threshold, then what I previously wrote is > irrelevant… If any of that makes sense?! There is no “automatic” upgrade once you hit the required amount of work experience. In my case, I had I think 46 months of approved experience when I originally submitted (and several years that may have been approved with a proper rewrite). Even though by the time I was rejected I was only about a month away, I still had to resubmit when the magic 48 hit and wait for them to review my experience all over again. As for the Society review, I think each Society has their own process for approving it. As such, some will take much longer than others, which I guess is why CFAI implements the 45-day max. For me, the Minnesota Society only took about a week and a half.

Melaine Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > glendronach Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > CFAI approved experience today (13 days to > > approve)… Society review begins… > > > Glendronach, > wow! Congratulations! How do you know CFAI > approved your experience? You checked online > application status? What does it say? Thanks Melaine… Pretty pumped that I’ll finally be able to use the letters (soon at least)! Just checked the application status online… It went from “Work Experience Review” to “Under Review - Society” in the status column. In addition my membership recommendation went from “Affiliate” to “Regular”. I’m quite surprised the review was completed so quickly, but that may have been due to the fact that this was an Upgrade rather than an initial review.

syc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > got all my hours approved after about two weeks, > been waiting on SF chapter for about two weeks and > counting. got SF chapter approval today, with 24 days remaining. fully activated my regular membership to both CFAI and SF chapter, was required to pay the fees, $350 total. FYI, under my membership status it says i became active member on 02/25/10, expires 06/30/10. i assume i get charged again shortly after 06/30/10. so for those who have to pay their dues out of their own pocket, you may want to wait until after 06/30/10 to activate membership. it looks like you would be paying for 4 months membership for $350 if you activate now.

syc Congratulations! Thanks for the info. How many working days did you wait for CFAI approval?

CFAI took about 12-15 working days, SF chapter took 21 calendar days.

syc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > syc Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > got all my hours approved after about two > weeks, > > been waiting on SF chapter for about two weeks > and > > counting. > > got SF chapter approval today, with 24 days > remaining. fully activated my regular membership > to both CFAI and SF chapter, was required to pay > the fees, $350 total. > > FYI, under my membership status it says i became > active member on 02/25/10, expires 06/30/10. i > assume i get charged again shortly after 06/30/10. > so for those who have to pay their dues out of > their own pocket, you may want to wait until after > 06/30/10 to activate membership. it looks like > you would be paying for 4 months membership for > $350 if you activate now. That’s lame they don’t pro-rate the fees… Thanks for the heads up!

ok, i’m betting my society review is completed this weekend. Here’s my theory. My first app had rejected experience – local society approved affiliate membership on 1/17, I immediately resubmitted and got regular CFAI approval early Feb. I’m thinking the local societies have to meet at least every 6 weeks. If they didn’t, they could theoretically miss the 45 day decision requirement for some applicants. 6 weeks is up this weekend, so I’m betting the house on approval by Monday. 'bft.

Jbaldyga, What did you do to your work experience description to get it approved? Any pointers? I just got back a rejection as well. I actually think I wrote too much. Thanks

Guhoya11 Is this your first time to apply membership? How long did you wait for CFAI to approve? 12 - 15 working days? I have applied in the beginning of this month. And, I am still waiting. Good luck!

Hoya, First time through my description didn’t explain how my job added to the investment decision making process – “forecasting market-level real estate performance.” When I updated it, I stated how clients use the information – “clients use forecasts as inputs in underwriting models for prospective acquisitions, and in portfolio optimization excercises to identify market allocation changes that would improve portfolio efficiency.” The key is to show how your work product is used in inventment decision making, imo.

24 days remaining…I am getting impatient…lol

ManVsCFA No worries! CFAI approved your work experience. You can smell your success. Good luck! I am still waiting for CFAI approval.

45 days remaining. 13 month work experience got rejected (reason - need more details) and 57 months accepted. Good luck to all who have applied for membership recently.