working euro desk hours in nyc ?

anyone work euro desk hours and live in america? thinking of moving to euro options and the desk hours are 12am - 9am, but the position looks perfect for me - i’m an insomniac anyway have you worked this period and lived on the east/west coast ? (i’m in nyc) just wondering what pros/cons are . . . immediate pro to me is seemingly less emails during workday

Not being to contribute to active AF discussions - show stopper

Pros: You miss rush hour. Possible compensation increase or benefits to make up for irregular hours; for instance, some people might get parking spots because there might not be public transportation at night. Cons: No social life, since your hours are opposite of everyone else in NYC. Going to bars at night is obviously out of the question, since that would mean showing up to work drunk. Possibility of being stabbed while going to work at midnight. Possible disruption of circadian rhythm due to lack of exposure to sunlight - I know people who suffered from insomnia as a result; they were doing all sorts of weird things like shining lights on themselves at work to try to fix this. Family life or committed relationships become impractical.

got this kind of offer a while back…it sux ur schedule will avoid people u will be working or going whiule they are out for drinks …plus what are the networking benefits?

You really have to value all eur options - make a few calls, put the word out and ask for opinions. If eur worried about living in a depressing black vampire like environment, dr. scholes inserts can keep you gellin’. Best strike before the offer expires.

Well, at least you could moonlight as a daytime gigolo/gigola. Though that might be called daylighting in your case.

I met this guy recently who worked for a hedge fund that traded US, Asia and Euro equities. Basically, he went crazy and quit. People would call him 24 hours a day, even when he was sleeping, with non-important stuff like market color.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I met this guy recently who worked for a hedge > fund that traded US, Asia and Euro equities. > Basically, he went crazy and quit. People would > call him 24 hours a day, even when he was > sleeping, with non-important stuff like market > color. I’d be tempted to start calling them back when they were asleep just to let them know that they were up another $12.00 that day. Not necessarily a good career move, but it’d still be tempting.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ohai Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I met this guy recently who worked for a hedge > > fund that traded US, Asia and Euro equities. > > Basically, he went crazy and quit. People would > > call him 24 hours a day, even when he was > > sleeping, with non-important stuff like market > > color. > > > I’d be tempted to start calling them back when > they were asleep just to let them know that they > were up another $12.00 that day. > > Not necessarily a good career move, but it’d still > be tempting. +1000

To be fair, it wasn’t really clear that those people knew what hours he was working.

I know a lot of people over in here in Asia that started out doing that and moved over here eventually.

Don’t do it. That’s how I work now in NYC: 12:00 am -10:00 am. Sucks! No social life. Crap food from delis. Quality of sleep is crap. I cram my friends during the weekend, make two hundred plans in one night but go through with none because I’m too jetlagged and tired to go out. No networking possibilities. Not enough sunlight. I also thought I could do it because I’m an insomniac and tend to concentrate better at night but it sucks. A lot! Trust me! And you get progressively tired. I take pills to sleep, pills to wake up. On the other hand, it does give me at least 3/4 hours a day to study for the CFA with no distractions from drinking buddies. But that’s the only advantage I can think of. And it’s not an advantage. Don’t do it. Don’t!

If it were me I would prefer to just relocate to eur than work those hours in NYC. Is that an option for you?

zinamarina Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Don’t do it. That’s how I work now in NYC: 12:00 > am -10:00 am. Sucks! No social life. Crap food > from delis. Quality of sleep is crap. I cram my > friends during the weekend, make two hundred plans > in one night but go through with none because I’m > too jetlagged and tired to go out. No networking > possibilities. Not enough sunlight. I also thought > I could do it because I’m an insomniac and tend to > concentrate better at night but it sucks. A lot! > Trust me! And you get progressively tired. I take > pills to sleep, pills to wake up. > On the other hand, it does give me at least 3/4 > hours a day to study for the CFA with no > distractions from drinking buddies. But that’s the > only advantage I can think of. And it’s not an > advantage. > Don’t do it. Don’t! I don’t know why, but this made me crack up.

pros: you become a vampire cons: hipsters will emulate you

I’m glad my misery is making you laugh Black Swan. I do tend to become funnier and more self-deprecating the more depressed I am :slight_smile: Anyway, I can’t stress enough the fact that you shouldn’t do it. Yeah yeah that vampire thing is a bit attractive to a certain extent but people lose interest when you have to go in an empty wall st office after the bar. Ah yes I tried to go to the bar before going to the office, but since I’m a CFA candidate (Misconduct!!), I didn’t drink. And when everyone around you has a beer or a cocktail, it sucks to be the only one not to drink! Sucks! A lot! I’ve been doing this job for almost 18 months now and I absolutely love it but I’m at the end of my rope. I have become a zombie enveloped by darkness and surrounded by creepy women at the subway who advice me to go home because MTA has killed girls like me.

pics?

shes sleeping pimp, you’ll get your response tomorrow.

zinamarina Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m glad my misery is making you laugh Black Swan. > I do tend to become funnier and more > self-deprecating the more depressed I am :slight_smile: > Anyway, I can’t stress enough the fact that you > shouldn’t do it. Yeah yeah that vampire thing is a > bit attractive to a certain extent but people lose > interest when you have to go in an empty wall st > office after the bar. Ah yes I tried to go to the > bar before going to the office, but since I’m a > CFA candidate (Misconduct!!), I didn’t drink. And > when everyone around you has a beer or a cocktail, > it sucks to be the only one not to drink! Sucks! A > lot! I’ve been doing this job for almost 18 months > now and I absolutely love it but I’m at the end of > my rope. I have become a zombie enveloped by > darkness and surrounded by creepy women at the > subway who advice me to go home because MTA has > killed girls like me. wow.