Working for the Fed

Does anyone currently (or previously) work for the Federal Reserve or any of the regional banks? If so do you have any insight to provide on the work/culture at the banks? Also any tips for someone interested in applying to work there?

A friend of a friend gave us a tour of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, where he works. He seemed pretty low stress and had ok hours… It did seem like more of a punch-the-clock operation than free wheeling capitalism. Also, they have a room where they destroy old dollar bills. So we literally saw forklifts of paper money being carted away to be incinerated/shredded/however they do it. I wanted to cry.

Well, you’ll never have to worry about their ability to pay you. But seriously, they hire a lot of economists to do projections and data collection and analysis. Working for the New York Fed is a reasonable platform for moving to various roles on Wall Street. The work culture is not as intense as investment bank or asset managment positions, but it is serious.

What type of position ? Econ, Research, Finance, Analyst ?

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A friend of a friend gave us a tour of the Federal > Reserve Bank of San Francisco, where he works. He > seemed pretty low stress and had ok hours… It > did seem like more of a punch-the-clock operation > than free wheeling capitalism. Also, they have a > room where they destroy old dollar bills. So we > literally saw forklifts of paper money being > carted away to be incinerated/shredded/however > they do it. I wanted to cry. so they do this literally as well hehe

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A friend of a friend gave us a tour of the Federal > Reserve Bank of San Francisco, where he works. He > seemed pretty low stress and had ok hours… It > did seem like more of a punch-the-clock operation > than free wheeling capitalism. Also, they have a > room where they destroy old dollar bills. So we > literally saw forklifts of paper money being > carted away to be incinerated/shredded/however > they do it. I wanted to cry. So for those who are worried about the government “printing money”, there you go. I’m sure they will catch up eventually so there’s nothing to worry about.

I would still rather be working for the weekend though.

http://www.vh1.com/video/loverboy/256473/working-for-the-weekend.jhtml#artist=11525

ur dominating this thread captain what you doing right now ?

Right now? Being Canadian.

JDNE: More on the Financial Analyst side.