Working in UK vs USA

I have posted same in level 3 … Whats the major difference between both countries financial industry How is financial industry as compared to usa ? Does competative environment is as intense as usa Can we say that UK=USA …in financial industry and money wise …salaries etc etc Can you name some financial companies which is uk based but better than USA Sorry for being naive but it is very impt to decided where i have to work in future…which will eventually help me to decide which B school to choose I stay in india …so for me USA or UK doesnt make difference…since i am thinking moneywise and competative environment which i love …so which place is better to choose thank you

my personal experience (and i am neither american nor british): living in USA >>> living in UK

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > my personal experience (and i am neither american > nor british): > > living in USA >>> living in UK I’m Canadian and I’ve got itchy feet in regards to staying where I am. Can you elaborate a bit on this?

Can you plz elaborate why NYC and not London?

check out Barclays in London - it is currently the largest financial services company in the world in terms of market share There will be a BIG difference for you coming from India… you will have a LOT more Indians around you in London - not so common in Manhattan. One issue that may have disappeared by the time you get a job - It is extremely hard for any US financial company that took bailout money to hire non-US citizens at the moment. I’m not sure if there are similar restrictions in the UK Salaries will be dependent on job and tax status - US generally has lower taxes, but you also have to pay for things that you have zero access to - e.g. Social Security - you have to pay into it but cannot get any benefits if you are just on a working visa. Although i’ve never lived in London, I have been there multiple times, and I can say from my experience that living in USA < living in Sydney, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Canada, Lisbon I’ll get flamed for saying that… but whatever - each person will have different experiences - so I’m probably not the best advocate for NYC, even though thats where I am now…

floater Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > check out Barclays in London - it is currently the > largest financial services company in the world in > terms of assets under management > > There will be a BIG difference for you coming from > India… you will have a LOT more Indians around > you in London - not so common in Manhattan. > > One issue that may have disappeared by the time > you get a job - It is extremely hard for any US > financial company that took bailout money to hire > non-US citizens at the moment. I’m not sure if > there are similar restrictions in the UK > > Salaries will be dependent on job and tax status - > US generally has lower taxes, but you also have to > pay for things that you have zero access to - e.g. > Social Security - you have to pay into it but > cannot get any benefits if you are just on a > working visa. +1 > Although i’ve never lived in London, I have been > there multiple times, and I can say from my > experience that > > living in USA < living in Sydney, Tokyo, Hong > Kong, Singapore, Canada, Lisbon > > I’ll get flamed for saying that… but whatever - > each person will have different experiences - so > I’m probably not the best advocate for NYC, even > though thats where I am now… -1

+3.14159265

Pi = 22/7

Pie = Yum

YUM Ticker = 34.92

YUM owns Pizza Hut, A pizza was ordered in Fast Times at Ridgemont High by Spicolli played by Sean Penn who was in Mystic River with Kevin Bacon. DONE (ok i stole that last part)

swaptiongamma Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Pi = 22/7 Pi = 355/113 is more accurate than 22/7

4*(1-1/3+1/5-1/7+1/9-…)=Pi. continue to desired level of accuracy.

i’ve lived for about 1 year in london and my impression is that nothing works in this country. it has all the polish and lure on the surface but once you start living there it’s a failure of the system on multiple levels, from the freakin tube in london to the NHS to the university system to the living areas to almost everything. i don’t expect anyone to make sense of my over-generalized, semi-coherent and strongly opinionated rant against the UK. i think it’s a great place to go to for one week vacation and check out all the historic sights and drink some pints and get the fu.ck outta there. also if you are foreigner trying to settle in the UK, you are a lot less likely to get fully integrated professionally and socially compared to the US. i took some classes at the university of london and, for example, all the southasians sat next to each other, talked only to each other, went to bars to socialize with some other southasians, and lived in “little india/pakistan” or something like this. if you are trying to immigrate from india in asia to india in the UK, it may work for you, but i think if people go to a different country, they should expect to become part of the local culture - otherwise i think it’s a pointless move.

spot on!

I am in the Uk, I worked for a US bank in London for many years, then worked for them in Ny for a few years,I then came back to work for different firms in London. London, has nowhere near the professionalism of the USA, probably the biggest mistake of my entire career was choosing to come back to the Uk when I had the chance to stay in NY. I expect London to be further compromised on taxation and regimentation in the future, plus apart from London, there is hardly anywhere else in the Uk or even Europe with an equivalent financial centre, at least in the US, it is large enough that there is more scope to choose a job location. I concur with the transport and health care problems, that is something you just have to get used to.