Would an undergrad in applied mathematics add value?

Hi Guys, I am CFA, FRM and a chartered accountant. My MBA is in General Management. Looking to switch careers from Fund Admin to something more challenging Risk, or something. Thinking about doing a distance learning in undergrad in applied maths, would this add value?

There are others far more qualified than me to advise on this, but Risk managers generally have far more than undergrad level math skills… I have a question; how has the basic RM knowledge taught and reinforced by the FRM helped your in your position?

man, you have some serious credentials…MBA, CFA and CA? id ont’ think more education is what you need at this point.

I don’t think those strong fundamental credentials are that applicable in Risk management compared to a quant graduate or Ph.D…

Difficult to say, it is not something you would use to break into a field . I really think it is a nice complement and gives you a different perspective. To date it hasn’t helped.

ECC…i’m reading the FRM handbook right now and you have already done your FRM. you should be well aware that risk management deals a lot with comp programs and rigorous mathematics. i suspect a PHD in applied maths, stats, econ or something of the sort will get you a decent role. even a masters problably won’t get you to where you want to be. JDV advise me of this, and i’m able to see this myself. to be serious about risk maangement, you better be damm good at maths.

As for a benchmark, my risk management professor at undergrad NYU Stern was an ex-Goldman Sachs Risk manager. He has a PH.D from MIT in math…

from what i gather, risk management is closely associated with actuary studies anyway check out these links http://www.prmia.org/

I agree with Frank, you have some serious credentials (CA, CFA, MBA). At this point I do not believe long distance courses in math would add much value to your career. If you are interested in risk management you will be competing with Phd’s in mathematics from MIT (keep this in mind). I would recommend using your work experience to get into a different job if fund admin is not for you and I would focus on hitting the pavement and building a strong network. You must have had audit, tax, and analysis experience in order to get both the CA and CFA designations. I would use that work experience, along with your network and credentials to jump into a investment decision/advisory role. My two cents…