Would CFAI really admit a mistake?

I’ve failed with an estimated 68% and just paid for a retabulation (which interestingly enough, isn’t a word). Clearly just throwing my money away… In any case, you guys think CFAI would actually admit a mistake? Personally, the total lack of transparency in the grading scheme makes me doubt the ethical standards of our lovely institute.

I have also failed with estimated 70% and thrown $100 at CFAI in a desperate hope of saving a year of my life.

I have also just sent out my retab form. The result is too far off from my expectation.

Guys, please be realistic…machine marked you and what they retabulate is just put it through again…also, estimated mark is just estimate…we dont know our actual mark…that’s the problem…save money to go pub with your friends to relax before crush it next time…you can do it…!!!

They don’t just put it through again, they manually check it. Before giving out false information, please check you are right. This is taken directly from their form: “CFA Institute does not offer an appeals process. Similarly, we do not offer a re-marking service. Exam score retabulation is a process wherein CFA Institute staff manually verifies that all parts of all questions answered in accordance with the instructions were found and graded and that the scores were added correctly. Retabulation will not change the grades on your individual answers. Unless an error is found in the totaling or recording of your scores, the pass/fail decision will not be affected. CFA Institute does not release individual scores, nor do we release scores for any portion of the exam.” You can find it here https://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/pdf/retabulation_request.pdf

AnxiouslyWaiting Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > They don’t just put it through again, they > manually check it. Before giving out false > information, please check you are right. This is > taken directly from their form: > > “CFA Institute does not offer an appeals process. > Similarly, we do not offer a re-marking service. > Exam score retabulation is a process wherein CFA > Institute staff manually verifies that all parts > of all questions answered in accordance with the > instructions were found and graded and that the > scores were added correctly. Retabulation will not > change the grades on your individual answers. > Unless an error is found in the totaling or > recording of your scores, the pass/fail decision > will not be affected. CFA Institute does not > release individual scores, nor do we release > scores for any portion of the exam.” > > You can find it here > > https://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/pdf/retabulat > ion_request.pdf ----------------- misunderstand mate…I mean they will check by themselves but still with the same answers…the issue is only whether the machine is wrong…but it is unlikely otherwise how many thousand of results must be retabulated again…

It could be that a stray pencil mark has caused the machine to discard one of your answers… I agree it is very unlikely but even a 5% chance of success is good enough for me. I am fairly convinced I am 1 or 2 marks away (from passing from the analysis of my score vs. other band 10 scores). $100 is cheap for peace of mind.

yep if the $100 gives you a peace of mind, go for it!

I do not understand why they would keep this such a big secret. I would actually love to see them publish the exam incl correct answers and each candidate can have their answer sheets accessible (privatetly of course) to see where s/he was correct/wrong. Thus being able to prepare for the next year in case of a fail!

The institute’s concern with this is candidates would rank their CFA designation, their CFA exam and their CFA exam score. I.e. put on your CV, “I passed level 2 of the CFA program with a 93% score, which was in the top 1% of candidates. Therefore, I am a better CFA charterholder than someone who scored 70%”. This is a clear breach of their ethics guidelines in general and is not necessarily true. The great thing about the Angoff method is it determines the minimum pass score based on what the concensus of experts think is minimum level of competency. Therefore, a competent 70%er has as much right to have the designation as a competent 92%er. The Institute isn’t in the business of working out who the best/most intelligent/best exam technique analysts in the world are. They leave that to StarMine etc. The Institute wants to set out ethical and professional standards for the industry. Thus anyone who meets that standard level should have the designation with no degree of bias. jojosf Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I do not understand why they would keep this such > a big secret. I would actually love to see them > publish the exam incl correct answers and each > candidate can have their answer sheets accessible > (privatetly of course) to see where s/he was > correct/wrong. Thus being able to prepare for the > next year in case of a fail!