Would it be unreasonable to not study PM and still pass

I am crunched for time, Not doing the Problems for PM would give me a better jump in knowing the other stuff. Is that such a bad idea

Why are so many pissed at PM? These are the sections making me feel sick… -Study session #7 -First 1/2 of Equity -Ethics

What’s the weighting on PM? If you’re going to skip a section common sense would tell you to skip the one with the smallest weighting (maybe it is PM?). Or you could skip a small section that you think you could do reasonably well on without doing a ton of practice questions/EOC. Good luck

If it gives you more time to pull out FRA & Equity, go ahead. But I would suggest taking ~1-2 hours to briefly skim over PM. There are some easy concepts there that may equate to easy points.

I so want to ask the same about options…!

PM is not a section that is sure to comprise 5% like Economics. There is a chance that it may cover 10%, and it wont be nice in that case.

team_alex Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If it gives you more time to pull out FRA & > Equity, go ahead. But I would suggest taking ~1-2 > hours to briefly skim over PM. There are some easy > concepts there that may equate to easy points. 1-2hrs ? You either read thoroughly or you ignore completely and take your chances. The exam will never be a text of knowing the fomulas but of detailed application and intuitive knowledge of reasoning behind some causes and effects.

PM is brutal. I’ve studied it a lot, and I’m still afraid I’ll only get 2/6 or 3/6.

Busy with my 2nd pass of PM now. The length of that first reading in PM is enough to scare anyone.

PM was 10% (2 vignettes) in 2007 and 2005.

I wouldnt risk it with PM besides it is tested heavily in level 3 so might as well get a good background All subjects are important but i will rather gamble on quants or econ.

PM sucks (I didn’t like the international reading or the very last one), but I wouldn’t skip anything. Give it the old college try at least twice, as there is probably a lot of material you will get, even if there is a lot you won’t. The large sections are where you pass or fail, but screwing up the little ones can turn a marginal pass into a fail.

agreed PM is need to know for Level III and if there are two vignettes on the exam, can you really afford to miss 10% of the exam?

The reason why I would like to skip PM is because I have been almost over all the other subjects except equity,Alt, and PM and I know Equity is impt and still have to review the past subjects again. But I see what ya’ll are saying I will try and do pm, I prob need to figure out how to take more time off of work.

im wondering the same about PM, but the weights scare me. Could be as high as 15% if we’re unlucky. Seems like topic weights will play a huge role in if you pass or fail…alot is dictated by the luck of the draw…

4Tay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > PM was 10% (2 vignettes) in 2007 and 2005. PM was 15% in 2007. That was the reason that I failed.

I would not skip anything if you are able… Having said that I realize time may not be an advantage for some at this point so here are my 2 cents for sections to skip. 1. I would NOT skip PM at all since it will be a large portion for level III. even if you pass without PM, it just puts you at a disadvantage for the next test. 2. I would look for areas that are generally not tested heavily (given only by the weightings of the material, not trying to game what has been heavily tested in the past.) These areas incl: Quants and Econ as the lowest then Corp Fin, FI, Derivs, Alts, and PM. Since you still need Alts and PM (and Equity, but I assume no one will be skipping equity since it could be 20-30% of test) I would suggest just a brief pass through Alts. Even though there are different terms, many of the concepts are similar to equity investments with a few differences here and there. PM really doesn’t have much that overlaps on other concepts - just expands on them.

PM and Economics do overlap

PM is severe. The EOCQ’s of the CFAI texts on PM are savage; not all of them, but there is one reading which has really scared me. The EOCQ’s of the Schweser stuff, is fair, but if we get similar questions the reading I am thinking of, it is going to be brutal.

My philosophy with multiple-choice test-taking is first and foremost to ace the easier stuff and the most heavily weighted stuff (like FRA). From the sounds of the discussion here, PM seems a time sink to get your head wrapped around properly. PM is also a relatively underweighted part of the exam. Therefore it seems that if you must skip or skim some material, and your aim is to put yourself in the best position possible to pass still the test, PM is a good candidate to give short shrift to. Quant probably fits that bill too (difficult time-sink material, limited part of the exam). Since I have already done Quant thoroughly, but not yet tackled PM. I suspect I will be leaving PM for last and will get the rest cold, so to speak, first, before tackling PM as much time allows. My two cents! FinNinja Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 1. I would NOT skip PM at all since it will be a > large portion for level III. even if you pass > without PM, it just puts you at a disadvantage for > the next test. With respect, Level 3 considerations seem beside the point. You can always back & fill after the test to prepare for Level 3.