Would this guy get fired?

http://www.clusterstock.com/2008/10/barclays-excel-error-results-in-lehman-chaos

Who? Sending anyone a spreadsheet with hidden columns is really bad. I hate stuff like that - it’s just disasters like this waiting to happen.

the first yr law associate that messed up. Would he get fired? Sounds like the poor kid finished law school in June and just started

I don’t think it was the law associate that messed up - I think it was the guy who sent him an Excel spreadsheet with hidden columns. No chance would I be upset with the lawyer.

working past 11:30pm for a first year associate out of law school sounds normal to me.

That’s why I prefer to group over hiding a column. Sure it takes up a cell or two when viewing but you can avoid costly mistakes.

brianr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That’s why I prefer to group over hiding a column. > YES!! I love grouping, especially on quarterly models

brianr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That’s why I prefer to group over hiding a column. > Sure it takes up a cell or two when viewing but > you can avoid costly mistakes. Grouping is so much better, I hate hidden columns/rows.

how do you group?

chintz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > how do you group? first, highlight the columns you want to group. on 2007 go to data on the ribbon, then hit group. viola.

ah…thanks. i see the little + and - signs that you can just toggle between group and ungroup.

chintz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ah…thanks. i see the little + and - signs that > you can just toggle between group and ungroup. i try to add value where possible, since the other half of my posts are useless drivel.

i m not too familiar with ur other posts but do appreciate this one :slight_smile:

brianr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That’s why I prefer to group over hiding a column. > Sure it takes up a cell or two when viewing but > you can avoid costly mistakes. +84

The keyboard shortcut is Alt-Shift-Right arrow to group and Alt-Shift-left arrow to ungroup. Hit that after you’ve selected the rows/columns you want to group.