Would you guys share with him? (irrelevant to CFA exams)

women eh?

i have had these experiencwes over and over a few thoughts to share 1. Focus on your job and do it well, knowing there is an agent who seeks to destroy you. so those little points you voerlook this time don’t overlook them 2. When ever he picks on you or anyone and he gets it wrong- which he is likely to-because of his relative inexperience, explain the issues with the insight of a LIII candidate. Aim at making the issues so clear the jury will not need adjornment. A simple way to win cases is to creatwe doubt in the minds of the jury. 3. If you get the opportunity, like when he gets it completely wrong, cease the moments to have a one on one with him, letting him know among others that ’ we need one another’ ’ no matter how smart you are you cannot do without people. Share with him any war stories of peole who were brilliant in school but did not make it in their careers cos they did not learn the ropes of career progression. 4. DIFFICULT ONE - Do pity him he is inexperienced. See how you can shoe him love and concern from time to time to win him to your side. In that case when you give him naked feedback tjhat hurts he will still see it as coming from a heart of concern. 5. GIVE UR SELF TIME - People dont change overnight. HE has come out of school with al sorts of classroom idea for making it. Cos he is human he is likely to get a few shocks that will tone him down. It wont be long and he will ran out of steam. 6. If the leader is worth the title he will also see through it. At that point, if you have not misbehaved (harsh I know) you will win the heart of the leader and he will loose his falsely acquired good will. 7. USE HIM FOR YOUR GOOD : People like him abound and you will not stop relating to people like that. Use him to toughen your relational muscles for the years ahead. The career space is rough and it won’t get any better. I hope these help you. Keep your eye on LIII and lets kill that snake together.

look, there are only 2 choices - work with him (i.e. build a team spirit thingy) or eliminate him. ur decision will dictate the actions that follow…

neglected to mention that ur boss’ style will prob play a big role in ur decision… is ur boss a non-confrontational sort to close one eye and let this infighting & unhappiness continue, or is ur boss the sort to pull the guy aside for a short chat?? just to share, on a slightly different vein… i have been thru situations in which my (ex) boss chose the non-confrontational route (typical asian mentality) and allowed the dept-wide problems to continue festering. in the end, more than half of the dept got fed up and we decided to leave the company for greener pastures. to a large extent, it is very impt how the boss reacts to alleviate the situation.

June1010, My $.02 is that your whole organization needs to rethink as JDV pointed out. Honestly, I haven’t heard of this much backbiting and behind the scenes drama since the season finale of The OC aired. You all need to get down off your high horses, start thinking long and hard (I’m being very serious here) about teamwork, fiduciary duty to clients, and serving the firm. Nothing you described above regarding all this selfish safegaurding of information and controlled disemination benefits the client in any way. If one client of your firm read any of the childish fueding statements you posted above, you bet your @ss he’d pull his money the next day. These actions are only deterring free flow of ideas and productivity, as well as stunting individual and team level development. Protecting queries and bloombergy codes? Holy hell, that’s akin to filing for copyright protection on your kindergarten finger paintings. Lastly, in your defense, the analyst’s protection of his spreadsheets is heavily limiting transparency and putting way too much trust in any employee at the analyst level. This dillhole’s actions are exactly the kind of behavior that brings firms down in a wave of scandals and hidden losses that leave managers pointing fingers around the room because nobody enforced proper checks in balances, supervising all levels of analysis from stage 1.

thanks for the inputs. after working several years, we all wished to add someone to share our work. we have more work than we can finish so layoff didn’t happen to our department even in the worst time. as a result, we welcomed the young man and spent the first 2 weeksn in a wonderful atmosphere, joking and sharing snacks. The boss is a very nice person. he doesn’t really care about office politics. this is one reason why he got the most workload for our team while other managing directors comparatively have an easier time. after writing here I feel much better. although other colleagues don’t like him either, I don’t want to make too many complaints in office. the good thing to write here is: (1) the inputs from you are very precious and did reminded me of several points (2) I feel much better after receiving some comforts (3) I don’t have to contribute to office complaints, the more you do, you more you get pissed off. (4) the analyst won’t come here until many years later. Thanks a lot, although this is irrelevant to CFA studies.

Definitely sounds like Mr. New Ivy is confident of his intelligence, but is overwhelmed by the complexity of the markets (as we all are at times, especially now), and is scared that this may make him blow his chances with the boss in a flat organization. So, he interrupts in meetings to show that he knows useful stuff (even if maybe it’s not as useful as he thinks). So he asks for your models so he can learn from them, but he hides his models, to keep you from criticizing them. If he’s young and inexperienced in organizational settings, he’s probably clueless as to how this makes everyone dislike him. Someone needs to explain to him that it’s give and take - I’ll show you mine if you show me yours. He picks apart your models to prove that he’s smart enough to know what’s going on, and reassure himself that he knows what’s going on, because the whole world seems to be blowing up and so it’s hard to know what’s going on “out there” in the market. What I recommend is that you sit down with him and explain - in as nice terms as possible - that you and a number of other analysts are experiencing friction with him, and point out - nicely again - what are the behaviors that exacerbate it, and then point out concrete actions he can take that will reduce the stress. Before you have this conversation with him, you inform your MD that you are having this problem and intend to have this conversation with the new guy. This will make sure that the MD knows what this is about and is on your side, if the analyst he runs to the MD after your little tete-a-tete. In short: 1) Have the conversation yourself - which improves your authority as a senior person 2) Inform your manager, to make sure he/she backs you up if the little guy tries to go around you. 3) Explain in concrete terms what the areas of friction are. 4) Offer concrete actions or alternatives that he can do to reduce the areas of friction. 5) Offer to have a discussion later on to make sure improvements are on track.

June, bchadwick’s advice is very good IMOP. bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Definitely sounds like Mr. New Ivy is confident of > his intelligence, but is overwhelmed by the > complexity of the markets (as we all are at times, > especially now), and is scared that this may make > him blow his chances with the boss in a flat > organization. > > So, he interrupts in meetings to show that he > knows useful stuff (even if maybe it’s not as > useful as he thinks). > > So he asks for your models so he can learn from > them, but he hides his models, to keep you from > criticizing them. If he’s young and inexperienced > in organizational settings, he’s probably clueless > as to how this makes everyone dislike him. > Someone needs to explain to him that it’s give and > take - I’ll show you mine if you show me yours. > > He picks apart your models to prove that he’s > smart enough to know what’s going on, and reassure > himself that he knows what’s going on, because the > whole world seems to be blowing up and so it’s > hard to know what’s going on “out there” in the > market. > > > What I recommend is that you sit down with him and > explain - in as nice terms as possible - that you > and a number of other analysts are experiencing > friction with him, and point out - nicely again - > what are the behaviors that exacerbate it, and > then point out concrete actions he can take that > will reduce the stress. > > Before you have this conversation with him, you > inform your MD that you are having this problem > and intend to have this conversation with the new > guy. This will make sure that the MD knows what > this is about and is on your side, if the analyst > he runs to the MD after your little tete-a-tete. > In short: > > 1) Have the conversation yourself - which improves > your authority as a senior person > 2) Inform your manager, to make sure he/she backs > you up if the little guy tries to go around you. > 3) Explain in concrete terms what the areas of > friction are. > 4) Offer concrete actions or alternatives that he > can do to reduce the areas of friction. > 5) Offer to have a discussion later on to make > sure improvements are on track.

just wait for his hard drive to crash, which will happen. then it is his arse on the line.

I have never had a hard drive crash in my life

bchadwick, your post is really really good and practical. Thank you a lot.