Wow, Malaysian Airlines just can't catch a break

Not only that, US Carrier <> Other Carriers. US and UK Carrier side by side:

http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/eh4ee97f2b.jpg

One good comment I read on this photo: “Compensating for something America? Yes. Weak allies.”

I suspect they will re-brand.

if i were working for them i’d demand triple the salary from now on.

This arguement and the argument of other country’s boosting their economies through military spending don’t make sense because they do not account for externalities. The reason it works for the US is because it is the dominant geopolitical miliatry force. No one else is close.

If Japan (or any other country, for that matter) had a similarly advanced and sized military to the US, what do you think would happen? For a while the USSR had similar ability to inflict damage as the US, how did that work out? Now, imagine if there were tons of countries like that. I think it is reasonable to assume most countries would be far worse off.

What’s Japan’s problem right now, anyway? An aging population? Well, I guess maybe that would not be an issue if we had more wars?/s

Great retort.

You can’t help but admire the level of technology and production the US has brought to the arms race. If they weren’t for war, they would be pieces of art.

Putin: Obviously, it’s Ukraine’s fault

“This tragedy would not have happened, if there had been peace on that land, or in any case if military operations in southeastern Ukraine had not been renewed,” he said in televised comments.

What Putin really meant to say was:

“This tragedy would not have happened, if the Ukrainians just surrended independence completely and let me take it over without a fight,”

Putin is going to hell in a handbasket!

So it’s actually 100% confirmed the plane was shot down, and it was a Russian missile? Putins comment certainly aludes to that.

The US confirmed it was shot down. By whom, we do not know.

I never said Japan would have a bigger economy if it was militarily more advanced. I’m just saying it will be better off as a nation. It would be bad for other countries for sure, but keep in mind, the argument presented was that nations like Japan are being “protected” by the US and so should be thankful for its services. Not so. If anything, the US is being protected from countries like Japan and Germany “going their own way”. It is extremely good for the US that it has “weak allies”.

If the US didn’t base a carrier group a few days away from Japan and have a presence in the region, lets just say they would be sweating about some payback from China. Their alliance with the US is the only reason the Chinese are keeping the peace.

^If Japan had been allowed to build up its military including nuclear weapons, the Chinese would be the ones sweating.

probably not actually, Japanese would be the ones sweating because they’d probably blow themselves up by accident.

by your logic, North Korean would have blow themselves up by now

So, you believe general proliferation of nuclear weapons would be positive for most countries? You would advocate peace through mutually assured destruction rather than peace through US hegemony. Valid point, but I do think the more equal footing countries are on militarily the more unstable the geopolitical situation is, so I would disagree.

I’m not advocating anything, nor do I believe in the concept of “peace”. Just refuting the argument that “weak allies” should be thankful for US protection. It is in American interest that this status quo goes on, let’s not forget that.

So, America’s allies should not be thankful. In fact, America should apologize for building up its military…Most of the World would be better off without America as a super power or even a country for that matter. Imagine the World without her. Lovely place for sure. What’s really silly is so many countries trying to lift their people out of poverty with capitalism. Without America, such a misguided path would probably not have been taken.

Agree. I’m pretty sure the US benefits from being the dominant superpower. Why would the US ask countries to pay protection money? That’s weak mob crap that Putin would pull. Legitimacy is much more valuable than any money the US would gain.

Do we know for certain that they haven’t blown themselves up a few times? Afterall, they did just win the World Cup in convincing fashion but we’ve been led to believe Germany won it.

Yes, 'cuz 'merica invented capitalism and freedom! Yaaawww! Now of course US allies are thankful (though UK, France and Germany could all probably hold their own against any real threat). However the US does have a history of showing up a few years late for every major conflict.