wow...

So while preparing for the Level I, I made sure to change my batteries the night before. Took the exam and kept getting a few TVM problems slightly wrong. I wrote it off to maybe I’m just doing the problems wrong - ended up guessing on these problems. Fast forward to today as I’m helping one of my friends with her Finance hw. I use my calculator and keep getting really simple TVM problems wrong - and I know I’m doing them right. I switch over to her calculator and get them all right. I go through the settings on my calculator and find out that I didn’t set the “Periods per year” to 1; it defaults to 12. #@($*!@(!*@# I don’t know what to think now…

ouch. I feel for you man. At least there werent that many questions needing the TVM…maybe between 5-10. You might have been close enough to get the right answer on a few of them.

poor guy… i use the hp too…

hp? this is not aproblem w/ the hp…

Yep, not an HP problem… My thoughts are with you too, bremiker…

I have a BAII+ Yea, I am glad that there weren’t TOO many problems dealing with TVM. But then again, I felt like I was borderline before finding this out (mostly because I had to guess a lot due to this). In June we need the admin to put on top of this site, in really big red letters, to remind people to double check their calculators! I really can’t blame anybody or anything but myself for not remembering; but damn does this suck. You better believe I’ll be reminding everybody in June!

i feel for you man… but you never know… hope you still pass… sorry to hear that… i dont remember using my calculator more than 10 times for tvm problems…

sorry to hear about that. make sure you eyeball your answers even when you use a calculator. learn the rule of 72 inside and out so that you can quickly do some of these calculations in your head and get ballpark answers.

Oh dear… I did the exact same thing. Now I feel less confident…

Sorry man, nobody should be subject to that at a time of pressure. But I did post a day or two prior to the exam about getting new batteries and re-setting your calculator settings.

My worst fear came true, someone didn’t reset their calc. Happened to me when I took L1 in June. Hence, why I have a sticker on my calc cover warning me to make sure that the settings are always correct.

freaking out

So besides throwing your life away for good 6 months if not more to prepare for the exam, we have to deal with calc issues too? Guess I failed.

I wonder if CFAI actually put the wrong answer that you would get if you had your P/Y set to 12 as one of the choices. That would be a rough way to try and trick people. Did you guys who didnt set your P/Y incorrectly get exact answers?

^knowing their lame-o tactics, that is highly possible. For those of you who faced this issue, don’t lose hope. Your result is not determined until you officially see it, so hope for the best :slight_smile: