"Yahoo CEO in Spotlight Over Resume Flap"

Time to hit the gym, lose 20 lbs, and maybe get a new wardrobe fatty?

http://i.imgur.com/FELdzh.jpg

Yeah, it’s sort of different when you are in a public role. You need to convince directors to do vote for things, motivate employees, and project a positive image to shareholders. If everyone thinks you are a scumbag, it’s hard to do any of this.

I was joking that I was the kid in the car. I’m not in that photo. But great effort there, sport.

Pretty tough insightful non-ironic childish words for someone hiding behind annoymity.

I knew you’d come up with some kind of BS argument.

Yahoo’s 10K literally has his “CS degree” listed in their filings, which as CEO he had to personally attest to its contents as accurate, right above his own signature… and he hasn’t noticed the error after several years of it.

The CFAI curriculum literally has this exact scenario in its ethics section. Even if it’s not a error made by him, it’s been going on so long that he should have know. and thus: violation.

^^^Yeah, but I doubt he signs the 10K. He probably just has somebody in HR do it. I mean seriously, there are way more important things for him to do than write his bio or sign some form. When you’re controlling the strategic direction of the a company that size, you don’t have a lot of time for trivial tasks. Totally not his fault. Somebody’s head should roll, but it shouldn’t be his. One time I saw my bio with the wrong school on it because marketing f’d up…better believe I didn’t take the fall on that one.

i have committed sinful acts in the past and i’m sure many of you have as well. The least he can do is come clean and explain what happened. the fact that did not occur is bad.

morale at the company is also going to be down. imagine the horseplay that is going to happen now “why not just lie our CEO did”…a CEO is not perfect, but he/she should exemplify honesty and leadership. most importantly, they must correct their faults and acknowledge them.

finally, CEOs are a dime a dozen. by the money they’re paying c’mon…

Actually, this is wrong. After the Enron and Worldcom scandals, CEOs have been required to personally sign the company’s public documents and are held liable for factually incorrect contents. He certainly would have a team that vets this document, but it’s his name on the page, and the way the law works, he is liable for all contents. I believe shareholders could sue for this type of misinformation.

What you do not seem to understand is the CFAI is a private organization. They can do whatever they want if it falls within US law. Scott Thompson is not a member of the CFAI thus has no obligation to the organization. You would have to be a member to be in violation of their little bylaws.

As I have said, if it can be proven that:

1. Scott Thompson wrote the bio originally

2. Scott Thompson provided the bio to Paypal

Then he should be held accountable. At this point no evidence suggests that he did either. All Loeb has been able to state is ST’s bio is incorrect.

If any of you are following the US Senate race with Scott Brown and Elizabeth Warren EW claims she is a minority and has been checking off the minority box for years. She is as white as snow. It can be argued that that is how she got her job at Harvard Law School. She is not Cherokee as she claims. Harvard is not going to sanction her nor is anything going to come out of this. Seems like a similar situation.

All of you armchair attorneys need to understand the difference between morals, ethics, and LAW. It can not be proven that ST broke any laws. Maybe unethical behavior has transpired but it has yet to be proven.

Breaking a law is not required to fire a CEO. Jerry and Carol were both asked to leave because they were inadequate in their jobs, not because they broke any laws.

so the CEO doesn’t check his own resume?..lies…

…CEO is a liar, and the board is incompetent…this is why Yahoo sucks as a company.

Well obviously he’s not a member of CFAI, I was just using that as an example that it’s been wrong for so many years and years that he should have known.

Bec he did nothing about it, he either was keeping the lie going, or lying about knowing it was wrong. Either of those reasons should be dismissal

It’s not about whether he can do the job well. But if your CEO fakes his degree, what does that say about your company?

It’s like if a President faked his citizenship. Wait…didn’t mean to go there…:slight_smile:

^ haha nice

Sure, but you know that HR just has some signature stamp that they use. There is no way the CEO can be troubled to review the quarterly financial results. That’s the CFO’s job.

^ Yes, the CEO won’t personally verify every single figure and data point in the financials, but the whole point of SarbanesOxley was that if sh*t goes wrong, the CEO is the one liable.

are you guys seriously questioning whether hte CEO knew he lied or not? its absurd to think he doesn’t know what was written in the bio. this is not some esoteric accounting adjustment…

I agree, but at the end of the day HR is the one responsible for the Ks and Qs, or marketing.

It’s not about Yahoo’s financial statement. He lied about his credentials when he was being recruited for the job at Yahoo. If Yahoo keeps him around, that’s like saying it’s ok for normal Yahoo job candidates to put fake degrees on their resumes.

Sarbanes-Oxley only requires that CEO’s certify the appropriateness of their financial statements and disclosures and to certify that they fairly present, in all material respects, the operations and financial condition of the company. SOX does not require that the CEO certify that every statement made in a filing is correct. That being said, Mr. Thompson should be aware of what is in his biography, particularly since it has been incorrect for a long time now. Anyone who thinks he didn’t know what it said is being naive. I’m pretty sure if the bio said he enjoyed sleeping with goats he would have corrected it.

Blake is likely right that no law has been broken, but the court of law is not what matters here, the court of public opinion is and it has no set rules or regulations. OJ was acquitted in a court of law (the first time anyway), but the court of public opinion convicted him and we all know how well that worked out for him. While lying on your bio is no where near comparable to practically decapitating a couple of people, it cannot be acceptable when the CEO is supposed to be the embodiment of the company’s mission and values. I have never seen Yahoo’s mission statement, but I doubt is says they strive to get to the top even if they have to push honesty and ethics aside. IMO, Mr. Thompson told a little white lie early in his career and never imagined it could have the long-term implications that it is now having. Ironically, he likely took the classes that would have fulfilled the CS degree requirements and could have easily altered his bio to say he had a concentration in CS. His school might even have issued him a new degree if he asked.