Year Off

It’s January 6th and I don’t have a care in the world. After passing L1 and L2, I’m taking a year off from the CFA, and I couldn’t be happier. Of course, that’s because I haven’t been thinking about how much harder it will be to buckle down and get ready for L3 next year after 1 1/2 years away from study mode. Anyone have any experience taking a year off from CFA study? Any advice on how to stay sharp/motivated?

just made the same decision. feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I had been thinking that it would be best to get the exams done as soon as possible, but there is too much going on with my life right now. thankfully the CFA is a program that lets you take as much time as you need between levels. the good thing is that when you are ready to go back, it’s only 5 or 6 months of study that is required. one final push, whenever you have the time, energy and motivation. i think level 3 is meant to be pretty different from L1 & L2, so i dont think there is any harm in taking a break. just take it seriously when you start up again, and maybe keep the mind sharp by making sure you learn something this year. enjoy the time off

good to hear there are others out there who have made this decision. My reason is the same – too much going on now so I won’t be able to make the time commitment. good luck, enjoy the “vacation”.

jonno - given your circumstances I think you’ve made the right decision and focus on work this year. CFA is a great weight on the mind and it’s not worth it at the current time. Good luck next year!

my coworker is going 3 for 3 straight. he is a beast.