Yo HP - Car Buying 101

How are you financing it CvM? Have you checked out PenFed rates?

i can vouch for Hyundai. They offer good features for a decent price. Reliability and warranty are also great.

If you really like the Cayenne, take a look at the VW Touareg as they are built on the same platform.

For the price of a Toureg, I’d just grab a Q7. I find the VW SUV’s dramatically overpriced, to the point where the discount to Audi product isn’t really worth it. I sat in both at an Autoshow recently and the Q7 was much better appointed.

Q7 TDI “Progressif” $63,200CAD

VW Tourage TDI Highline $61,470CAD

Plus about $5k in fees and taxes each.

Hmmm…

German cars break because they create amazingly complicated engineering solutions to problems that no one else cares about. Consider the new Porsche 911 Targa, where the whole back end of the car opens up to hide the little roof panel. Or consider the wipers on BMWs like the 5 Series, which have some weird swiveling joint instead of just a normal pivot point - the purpose is to increase wiper area by maybe 1 inch over the normal arc. Maybe observe the intricately over engineered seat lever in entry level Porsches - some German engineer probably wrote his doctoral thesis on the optimal shape of seat levers. Who knows what other compulsively complicated features are built into German engines, or other mechanisms that are hidden from our view.

http://www.cnet.com/products/2014-porsche-911-targa-4/

I imagine that Japanese cars are reliable because of conservative engineering. Japanese cars rarely use cutting edge technology. A Prius still comes with a nickel hydride battery. A 2014 Lexus IS250 still uses a natural aspirated V6 engine making 200 HP. This technology is 10 years behind what the Germans use. However, since this technology has been tested and used in real life for years, the Japanese have managed to address almost all issues with their cars.

Of course, it is also true that non-Japanese car makers have improved quality and reliability in recent years. Plus, there are some German brands that have been producing reliable models.

^ With car technology, the germans pioneer it, the japanese perfect it.

I would have expected larger price separation. There certainly is when compared to the Porsche.

I just sold my 7.5 year old BMW 530i that I had since new. 3.5 of those years were outside the warranty and I had almost zero problems during that time and very nominal maintenance costs. This was the 5th BMW I have owned and nearly all of them have been just as reliable.

While fixing these cars isn’t cheap, I wouldn’t be so quick to assume they are expensive to own.

Below average reliability does not mean that all owners will have problems with the car. It just means that out of a large sample, more BMW owners will have problems than owners of other cars. Let’s say 10% of brand X cars will suffer oil leaks at some point (made up statistic) and only 1% of brand Y cars will suffer the same problem. Brand X is 10x more prone to this problem compared to brand Y, even if 90% of X drivers never experience the problem.

As another anecdotal comparison, if you know 20 BMW owners in the last 10 years, it would be pretty difficult to believe that none of them has suffered a problem that would not have happened with another car brand - say Lexus or similar.

I would agree with you. For many people, these cars are problematic. But problem cars tend to get more attention on the Internet and in the news, and not all cars are that way.

FWIW, I have been driving these cars since 1983, and with the exception of the first one, I kept all of them for 6 to 9 years. So I have five data points in my own time series analysis.

quote=ohai]

Below average reliability does not mean that all owners will have problems with the car. It just means that out of a large sample, more BMW owners will have problems than owners of other cars. Let’s say 10% of brand X cars will suffer oil leaks at some point (made up statistic) and only 1% of brand Y cars will suffer the same problem. Brand X is 10x more prone to this problem compared to brand Y, even if 90% of X drivers never experience the problem.

As another anecdotal comparison, if you know 20 BMW owners in the last 10 years, it would be pretty difficult to believe that none of them has suffered a problem that would not have happened with another car brand - say Lexus or similar.

[/quote]

If the japanese didn’t make such boring cars to drive i’d be all over them for my next purchase…which I still haven’t made (waiting to go pick up my '13 328 this weekend). now i’m having second thoughts with all this german (lack of) reliability talk.

quick somebody talk me back into that awesome turbo 4.

^ Most critical Audi problems surface around the six figure milage mark.

• Straight Talk from My Mechanic

i guess i’m glad i’m not buying an audi

@Turd - a four-banger? LMAO!!!

You need to git yerself a Ford F-150 Platinum, dogg.

I don’t think 6-9 years is a long time to own a car…

I think that’s perfectly long enough. Ignoring the financial implications, who wants to drive or own a car longer than that and getting to that age?

^I bought my 2004 Mazda Tribute brand new. Ten years and 157k miles later, it still runs pretty darn good.

And to say, “Ignoring the financial implications” is…doesn’t make any sense. If we’re ignoring the financial implications, then I want to drive a brand new Maybach every year. In my Malibu beach house. In the race track custom-built in the basement of my Malibu beach house.

^ I’m talking about something you could reasonably afford to replace after 4 or 5 years without much financial impact on your life, not analysing keeping a car for 12 years instead of 10 to get your annualized depreciation below a certain level. Come on, you know what I meant…

I think people get attached to their cars and don’t want to sell. 2006 model year is not that bad though.

take the new 328 4 banger out for a test drive and get back to me.