Yo HP - Car Buying 101

What happened to the S4?

decided i needed better fuel economy and didn’t want to pay > $40k for a car, just wasn’t worth the extra cost to get that “send you back in your seat” acceleration. the new 328 is plenty powerful and it gets north of 33 mpg highway. plus i can get a '13 with less +/- 6,000 miles within the budget as opposed to a higher mileage S4.

^ word. All that power would be fun, but it would simply lead to trouble for me. I’d either get cited for speeding more often or crash it into something.

No one man should have all that power

Does BMW even offer a 6 cylinder in the 3 series anymore?

^ 335i/ix and m3

yes in the 335 and i believe the hybrid. the hybrid would be best of both worlds as it matches the 4’s fuel efficiency but can put out 300+ hp. If they had an AWD model I would definitely have gone with that.

Hybrids are for hippies.Like Greenman suggested, F-150 Platinum. End of story. :wink:

I don’t know about that 3 Series hybrid. I cannot think of a more half assed car. It’s pretty obvious that BMW is only making these as practice for if/when hybrids become more important to their volume models. Otherwise, they are just throwing a hybrid transmission into a car that is not designed for it. The hybrid is 300 lbs heavier than the 335i and is barely more fuel efficient. The highway mpg is equal between the two models, but the hybrid is actually less efficient on the highway, instead relying on a taller final drive ratio to achieve the same fuel consumption number as the 335i.

The Germans have invested a lot of resources into diesel engines, so this is the better choice if you really want a more efficient 3 Series. Of course, with low US fuel costs and taxes, it’s probably more cost effective to buy the normal gas car.

That’s right. Only faggots and Democrats drive them hybrid thingies.

Real men drive real trucks.

^ I do love driving a torquey diesel though. Drove a 3.0L diesel Renault in France a little while back, about 220HP but a fantastic 410lb-ft of torque at only 1,700rpm. Also pretty cool that I drove 1,000km on the 60L tank. About 40mpg for the Americans. But a diesel feels much different than a gas engine, at least in my experience. Again, I’m no car expert, just going on feel.

If I found a good diesel in Canada, I’d seriously consider that move. I’m still waiting patiently on Toyota to throw a diesel into the 4Runner in North America, though I figure I’ll be waiting on that forever.

I’ve never driven one, but I imagine the 335d would be a blast to drive!

Diesel has gotten very expensive in my area. Regular gasoline is $3.27/gal, compared to diesel at $3.89/gal.

^ Diesel is about the same as gasoline where I’m at, $1.26/L ($4.62/gal). But fuel efficiency is much higher with the diesel. I’m not sure the advantage holds with that differential though.

The premium car brands tend to require premium gas though, so I guess that’s a more fair comparison. I think premium is $3.59 at the station I frequent.

^Does that include the cost to pay the guy to pump your gas? Or is that extra?

I’m not sure why NJ and OR don’t trust the public to pump their own gas. Is there any rhyme or reason for it?

^ Theft I’d guess. Some provinces up here have gone to either full-serve only or pay-at-the-pump only because of gas theft. I think some kid died in British Columbia a few years back running down a gas-and-dash. They changed the law soon after that someone had to fill your tank or you had to pre-pay.

I thought NJ has gas station attendants due to some labor law. It’s pretty frustrating, because the pumps there are set up with self service credit card consoles (because these machines are standard everywhere in the world). However, you are not allowed to use the machine - you must wait for the attendant to come and do it.

I haven’t seen a full serve station in years - last time was in Canada. Here all the stations are CC swipe or if you’re the person paying cash, you have to go in and pre-pay.

I’ve never discovered the true story as to why NJ has full-service only. I’ve heard insurance and I’ve heard labor laws, don’t know which if either is true. Gas in NJ is cheaper than PA and NY though, so not really a concern of mine, although I do prefer pumping my own gas because it’s faster. I actually live in PA, but buy my gas in NJ going to or from work because it saves me around $0.25 per gallon.