You know it's time to change job when...

Kakane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > …when you apply for jobs from your work pc… guilty. i apply for jobs while working, too. the head of my department always says, “don’t worry, you know i’ll take care of you.” motherfcker, you haven’t taken care of me in the past 3 years, why would you start now?

dspapo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Kakane Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > …when you apply for jobs from your work pc… > > guilty. i apply for jobs while working, too. > > the head of my department always says, “don’t > worry, you know i’ll take care of you.” > motherfcker, you haven’t taken care of me in the > past 3 years, why would you start now? +1000 I can really relate to this - my company didn’t fund my CFA study, nor did they offer me a raise when I asked for one upon passing level 3. Yet, when I passed the final CFA exam, my managers all made such a fuss about it, emailing the entire floor with congratulatory comments etc… K

Seems like a lot of anti-job sentiment around here lately. Good thing bonus season is rolling around soon.

…when you get a job offer…thank goodness for that, I was starting to doubt if I’d ever get my lucky break! On a related note, I’ve a duration question for those in the know: Could someone please explain why Investment Grade (IG) credit has a higher duration component than High Yield (HY) credit? I know that HY has a higher beta than IG, but am unsure on the duration differences. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks K

Kakane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > …when you get a job offer…thank goodness for > that, I was starting to doubt if I’d ever get my > lucky break! > > On a related note, I’ve a duration question for > those in the know: > > Could someone please explain why Investment Grade > (IG) credit has a higher duration component than > High Yield (HY) credit? I know that HY has a > higher beta than IG, but am unsure on the duration > differences. > > Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. > > Thanks > > K Duration is only a measure of interest rate sensitivity for a portfolio/pool of bonds. Credit quality does not affect duration. ex. A portfolio of 100 long-term (10 Yrs) IG bonds will have a much higher duration than a portfolio comprised of 100 short-term (2 Yrs) HY notes/bonds. HY bonds behave much more like equities because they trade around news, credit upgrades/downgrades, earnings, and lastly interest rates.

Cheers Chuckrox. K

Kakane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > …when you get a job offer…thank goodness for > that, I was starting to doubt if I’d ever get my > lucky break! Congrats dood! I’m still having zero luck on the job search front. I’m hoping people actually start hiring in 2011. m

mep_cfa’10 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Kakane Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > …when you get a job offer…thank goodness > for > > that, I was starting to doubt if I’d ever get > my > > lucky break! > > Congrats dood! I’m still having zero luck on the > job search front. I’m hoping people actually start > hiring in 2011. > > m Hang in there dude and if you haven’t already tried, apply directly to companies you have researched who have/haven’t jobs advertised. I started looking for another role after passing Level 2 in 2009, so patience is a virtue - easy to preach, but hard to practice, I know! I had no luck whatsoever applying to jobs via employment agencies (some of whom are run by fresh graduates who lack the ability to read b/w the lines of experience/qualifications etc…) - they were looking for such a precise fit for every single job, it meant that I was rejected, rejected and rejected. That was even though I ticked quite a few of the criteria specified in their job specs… Now, I just have to await the drafting of my contract (already accepted their offer in writing via email) before handing in my notice to my present employer…it’s going to feel awesome to watch my manager’s jaw drop when I hit him with the news…if I could bottle that feeling and sell it, I’d be a billionaire… K

Kakane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I had no luck whatsoever applying to jobs via > employment agencies (some of whom are run by fresh > graduates who lack the ability to read b/w the > lines of experience/qualifications etc…) - they > were looking for such a precise fit for every > single job, it meant that I was rejected, rejected > and rejected. That was even though I ticked quite > a few of the criteria specified in their job > specs… Same here. I don’t think I stand a chance at getting into (quantitative) finance after a few interviews with some good firms (Goldman, MS, etc.) a few months ago. Just all around bad luck, since there are many experienced people who need to get hired before I do. Very painful not to have an in right at the beginning. Probably continue to work in scientific research for a tech company or think tank with an eye towards entrepreneurship. Maybe better in the long run, who knows.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Kakane Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I had no luck whatsoever applying to jobs via > > employment agencies (some of whom are run by > fresh > > graduates who lack the ability to read b/w the > > lines of experience/qualifications etc…) - > they > > were looking for such a precise fit for every > > single job, it meant that I was rejected, > rejected > > and rejected. That was even though I ticked > quite > > a few of the criteria specified in their job > > specs… > > Same here. I don’t think I stand a chance at > getting into (quantitative) finance after a few > interviews with some good firms (Goldman, MS, > etc.) a few months ago. Just all around bad luck, > since there are many experienced people who need > to get hired before I do. Very painful not to > have an in right at the beginning. > > Probably continue to work in scientific research > for a tech company or think tank with an eye > towards entrepreneurship. Maybe better in the > long run, who knows. Just try and stay positive, you don’t know when that perfect opportunity knocks on your door…just make sure you’re in a position to exploit the opportunity whenever it presents itself - it’s a pretty cut-throat job market out there. There were 160 applicants for my job, supposedly…how I managed to be ‘the one’ is beyond me, but I’m just glad I’m making the move… K

I just got written up yesterday for a mistake I made. It was my mistake, but it could have happened to anyone. According to this written warning, one more mistake and I’m fired. While I was being lectured for an hour, I got a voicemail for a 2nd round interview for a corporate finance role. So yeah I hope I get this job and I’ll leave with about 2 hours notice.

wow, that must have been a serious mistake for you to get lectured for an hour

Well, there was no monetary impact. It caused delay in some things but overreaction is common here. Other people in my group have made the exact same mistake and did not receive the same treatment.

you still da man topher in my book.

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Other people in my group have made the exact > same mistake and did not receive the same > treatment. you should have just said “is it cause i’m black!?! its because i’m black isn’t it! i’m going to sue the mf’n sh!t outta all yall RAAAAAACIST b!tches!!” and left forcefully. even if you aren’t black, the person would be scared sh!tless.

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > topher Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Other people in my group have made the exact > > same mistake and did not receive the same > > treatment. > > > you should have just said “is it cause i’m > black!?! its because i’m black isn’t it! i’m going > to sue the mf’n sh!t outta all yall RAAAAAACIST > b!tches!!” and left forcefully. even if you aren’t > black, the person would be scared sh!tless. +1

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > topher Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Other people in my group have made the exact > > same mistake and did not receive the same > > treatment. > > > you should have just said “is it cause i’m > black!?! its because i’m black isn’t it! i’m going > to sue the mf’n sh!t outta all yall RAAAAAACIST > b!tches!!” and left forcefully. even if you aren’t > black, the person would be scared sh!tless. fantastic

i get offers to fight weekly… and while i would love another job… where the hell do i go?