You know it's time to change job when...

…when you start complaining to your other half (on the phone) that you’re bored to tears within an hour of starting work… …when you fantasise about breaking your supervisor’s nose with your fist (or elbow if you feel like demonstrating your skills in Krav Maga for a laugh!) when they ask you to perform that BS routine task one more time (cue: ‘call me elf one more time’ moment from Will Ferrell’s Elf movie)… …when you apply for jobs from your work pc… …when the thought of carting a gallon of petrol into the office and setting it all alight brings a smile to your face… Rant over K

… when you get fired.

How long have you been in your current position? I’ve been in mine for just over 4 years, looking to move to another city, and this job market blows. Very frustrating. I can relate with you. Getting home and looking for jobs each night with almost no interesting positions is very depressing. m

^ +1 I’ve been in my current position 3 years and hoping to move city too before I go nuts. Exceedingly frustrating - employers/agencies want precise work experience, though no-one is prepared to offer candidates the chance to accrue it… If the job market was like this 3 years ago I wouldn’t have got my current job! K

Kakane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- …when you day dream of punching co-workers in the face who sit right next to you

I guess the question is, what makes you think that another job will be any better? Most people probably would not work if they did not need the paycheck.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I guess the question is, what makes you think that > another job will be any better? Most people > probably would not work if they did not need the > paycheck. I’m trying to switch focus. I’m currently in a middle office type role at a large commercial bank working on MBS/ABS/CDO deals. I want to get into a more FO role with a larger customer interaction. My current position has little, to no upward mobility. Unless I want to stay here for another 5+ years. A competitor in town pays much better but is not hiring at all (BoA). So after a while the job just becomes a huge drag on me with little motivation. I am looking for a new challenge. My employer won’t cover the cost for the CFA or MBA/MSF. m

mep_cfa’10 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m trying to switch focus. I’m currently in a > middle office type role at a large commercial bank > working on MBS/ABS/CDO deals. I want to get into a > more FO role with a larger customer interaction. i do the same thing…which is why i always want to punch people in the face… the market seems to be openning up in abs so there might be some oppotunities on the horizon.

mar350 Wrote: > i do the same thing…which is why i always want > to punch people in the face… > > the market seems to be openning up in abs so there > might be some oppotunities on the horizon. Where are you located?

i’m in clt - boa’s here, too, but not everyone wants to work there. the cmbs and rmbs industries are coming back along with a string of abs niches. i think clo’s are tagged as ‘toxic’ for the rest of their lives.

Charlotte? Do you work for Wells Fargo/Wachovia?

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Charlotte? Do you work for Wells Fargo/Wachovia? i work for someone in clt. we have a lot of offices in different states.

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ohai Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Charlotte? Do you work for Wells > Fargo/Wachovia? > > > i work for someone in clt. we have a lot of > offices in different states. US Bank?

mep_cfa’10 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mar350 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ohai Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Charlotte? Do you work for Wells > > Fargo/Wachovia? > > > > > > i work for someone in clt. we have a lot of > > offices in different states. > > US Bank? i’m not going to say exactly who i work for - there’s a degree of confidentially i’d like to keep

Kakane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > …when you fantasise about breaking your > supervisor’s nose with your fist (or elbow if you > feel like demonstrating your skills in Krav Maga > for a laugh!) when they ask you to perform that BS > routine task one more time Is your boss a d-bag? If so, well that’s a tough situation. If not, I don’t really have any sympathy. People who whine about how bad their jobs suck get on my nerves. We’ve all been there (how do you know your boss isn’t hating life, too?). If you don’t like it then quit. Some other robot with a finance degree will gladly take your place on the assembly line.

I think you’re missing the point here. If the job market wasn’t so bad I’d have left my present role already, it’s not like I’m going to shoot myself in the foot and quit with nothing to go to. And yes, my boss is a d-bag. K

Kakane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > …when the thought of carting a gallon of petrol > into the office and setting it all alight brings a > smile to your face… This is seriously what I think of before going to bed at night. But my thoughts involve way more gasoline.

^+1 lol…more like an 18-wheeler gasoline delivery vehicle… K

I knew I had to bail from a job years ago when, everytime a friend or cousin called me at the office asking how I was, my reply was always one word: suffering. That and my only joy at work was to mumble “set… the building… on fire” under my breath, but just barely loud enough so my co-worker in the next cube could hear. he was a cool guy, so we laughed about it.

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That and my only joy at work was to mumble “set… > the building… on fire” under my breath, but just > barely loud enough so my co-worker in the next > cube could hear. he was a cool guy, so we laughed > about it. i knew i had to get out when i would slam the printer when it was out of paper and say “PC Load-Letter, What the F does that mean???” and no one had a clue what i was referring to.