You think your compensation sucks?

Rebecca Lynn Shaw, co-pilot of doomed Buffalo Flight 3407, was paid $16,000 a year BY Richard Sisk WASHINGTON – The co-pilot of doomed Flight 3407 was a sleep-deprived 24-year-old making $16,000 a year who bunked at her parents’ house near Seattle, a cross-country commute from her homebase airport, air safety officials said Wednesday. http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/05/13/2009-05-13_rebecca_lynn_shaw_copilot_of_doomed_buffalo_flight_3407_was_paid_16000_a_year.html

too bad it didn’t include a golden parachute…

HA.

null&nuller Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > too bad it didn’t include a golden parachute… +1

I don’t know how good of a co-pilot she was, but her negotiating skills can’t be that good.

$16K a year? Did she work 2 days a week or something? I don’t see how compensation can be THAT low for a high stress job.

The regional jet pilots make next to nothing. Coworker said a buddy of his is a pilot for one of the regional subs of a major airline. He is the pilot (not co-pilot) and makes something like $25k/year. As I understand it, the only ones that get paid are the jumbo pilots, who are typically much more experienced.

She might of been in “training” since she didn’t have military experience… As she moves up she gets paid more…

My brother was a regional jet pilot. He made a little more than that. He hardly ever had to work and got excellent benefits (free travel, healthcare).

I’m sick of hearing this “my sister makes $8,000 a year but she has great benefits and works 3 days a week.” So what, that brings her total comp to $10,000 a year while forcing her to take a side job as a stripper the other 4 days of the week?? Give me a $250,000 job with NO benefits over that bs anyday.

There are legitimate things that people can be looking for other than cash in their work, although this may be mind blowing for some in finance. Just because it’s not your priority doesn’t mean it isn’t valid. JohnThainsLimoDriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m sick of hearing this “my sister makes $8,000 a > year but she has great benefits and works 3 days a > week.” So what, that brings her total comp to > $10,000 a year while forcing her to take a side > job as a stripper the other 4 days of the week?? > Give me a $250,000 job with NO benefits over that > bs anyday.

I don’t care. I’m not working a sh!t job for sh!t pay just because there are good annual benefits that don’t even amount in value to a half day’s salary for me. People don’t seem to understand that if you make a lot of money, you can pay for your own benefits and still have exponentially more money left over than someone who makes a sh!tty income but has the best benefits in the world. It’s like idiots who work at the movie theater and brag about getting free tickets, why not work at a real job instead and buy your own theater some day. Like I always say though, it’s because this world is full of low achieving people that allows me to get ahead, so I shouldn’t complain about them.

I don’t disagree with your reasoning. I was thinking more along the lines of having flexibility and being able to have time off to enjoy life. You can’t really buy that, however. JohnThainsLimoDriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t care. I’m not working a sh!t job for sh!t > pay just because there are good annual benefits > that don’t even amount in value to a half day’s > salary for me. People don’t seem to understand > that if you make a lot of money, you can pay for > your own benefits and still have exponentially > more money left over than someone who makes a > sh!tty income but has the best benefits in the > world. It’s like idiots who work at the movie > theater and brag about getting free tickets, why > not work at a real job instead and buy your own > theater some day. Like I always say though, it’s > because this world is full of low achieving people > that allows me to get ahead, so I shouldn’t > complain about them.

Don’t you think that people who work at a movie theater AND brag about getting free tickets are probably 14 year old kids. I don’t think that they could get a substantially higher paying job that would compensate for the salary+free tickets at the movie theater.

Where’s all that aggression coming from, JTLD? I gather it’s not your awesome compensation… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvJmlt17bmg

Low compensation doesn’t correlate to having free time and enjoying life. There are plenty of single mothers making minimum wage who can attest to that.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Where’s all that aggression coming from, JTLD? I > gather it’s not your awesome compensation… > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvJmlt17bmg I don’t know. Probably just residual sadness from the KarenC thing.

kblade Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Don’t you think that people who work at a movie > theater AND brag about getting free tickets are > probably 14 year old kids. I don’t think that they > could get a substantially higher paying job that > would compensate for the salary+free tickets at > the movie theater. A better example would be the people who work for the cable company and brag about getting free cable. An extra $150 per month in “benefits” is nothing.

I don’t know, free cable would be pretty sweet, especially if it came with blazing fast high speed internet… wanderingcfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > kblade Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Don’t you think that people who work at a movie > > theater AND brag about getting free tickets are > > probably 14 year old kids. I don’t think that > they > > could get a substantially higher paying job > that > > would compensate for the salary+free tickets at > > the movie theater. > > > A better example would be the people who work for > the cable company and brag about getting free > cable. > > An extra $150 per month in “benefits” is nothing.

why dont you tell me the last time that “love” bought your clothes? It’s like that…and that’s the way it is.