YOUR PROGRESS?

Have gone through first 2 books and done qbank on these

CFAI materials explain FCFF and FCFE pretty well. We are probably going to have lots of discussions in May about all hard topics. Those discussions will help all of us.

Hi guys, when you say “done” something, what does it mean? Did you read it? Did you learn it? Or did you even “master” it? For example: I have “done” quant, but only once! So I have to read it again before I can say “Ok, I get it!”. Thanks! JL

when I say I’m done with something, I mean I’ve read, understood and done end of readings problems.

Well, what can I say…I FINALLY cracked the official CFAI curriculum books that have been sitting nicely taped up in the box on my bedroom floor for 3.5 weeks. Yep, I’m all in now. Finished reviewing/reading through all of 2007 Schweser books on Friday (ended with my favorite topic of derivatives), which I have to say I’m feeling WAY BETTER about than I ever have at any point in my life. I’m picking things up that I never have before and seem to actually understand and remember a lot of the formulas, even pricing swaps (which I had no clue to do last year). This past weekend, I put in about 5-6 hrs each day at the library, and if you don’t count the time that I was staring at all the hottie little DePaul girls walking around studying for finals, I’d say I got some pretty solid studying in with good retention. I made it through the entire derivs section, save for about 40 pages at the end, and genuinely feel I CAN do this. YES, WE CAN! I really feel spurred on from my progress this past week in derivatives, as it’s always been my Achilles Heel. Now, that’s not to say I’m gonna want to jump out my 48th floor window later this week as I move on with the CFAI books. This is the first time in my CFA career that I’ve used the curriculum and I finally see what all the b!tching has been about. They are SO drawn out and I simply ignored a lot of the notation of the forumlas they were using, so as not to get distracted from what I had learned going the Schweser route. But I do feel that they provide a lot more context and are re-inforcing what I’ve already learned with Schweser. My plan right now is to get through the PM and then hit FSA and Equity big time and then quant for the new stuff. I am going to do all of the Schweser problems from each chapter while I read the CFAI books and then hammer out all of the end of chapter questions from the CFAI books. I have to move fast, cuz I’m flying back to SK the first weekend in May for my P’s 40th anniversary and a buddy’s wedding, so there’s a whole weekend of studying down the drain…thank god we have that extra week in June! I’m still having trouble realizing that it’s the middle of March and not still January, which is where my head is. Will try to get a lot done this week, but Thursday I’m hitting up the JUSTICE show at the Riv, so that’s gonna be a wild one…prob will still be recovering while I spend my Easter weekend in the library. Hopefully grab a ham sandwich. Let’s go kids…we’re gonna rock this biatch in the rump and make those wankers in VA scream our names! I

Man, Zim, if you’re officially started, I should probably do my best to get past page 47 of the CFAI FSA book (the book I started on). Nah, still waiting for an April Fool’s Day start.

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Man, Zim, if you’re officially started, I should > probably do my best to get past page 47 of the > CFAI FSA book (the book I started on). > > Nah, still waiting for an April Fool’s Day start. Turkish, my boy, an April Fool’s Day start for you sounds like par for the course. We wouldn’t want it any other way. There’s still a lot of valuable drinking time to be enjoyed. Don’t get me wrong…I’m still scared sh!tless of this b!atch, I just for some reason feel really spurred on to greatness right now. It could just be a result of gawking at this 20-yr-old with, what HAD to be, awesome fake melons for 5hrs yesterday?

“It could just be a result of gawking at this 20-yr-old with, what HAD to be, awesome fake melons for 5hrs yesterday?” Who would not be motivated by that??! I think I’m going to have to buy the schweser books actually, the CFAI texts are killing me…well all 47 pages I’ve read. That has to be an indicative sample of the entire body of writing, though…right? I think a 2 month run, of no drinking and 25 hours a week of studying should be sufficient… Your new found enthusiasm is inspiring, however…maybe I’ll crack the books on Good Friday.

Nothing says reverance to Jesus being crucified quite like pricing a call using a binomial option model, right? Yeah, you lucky wankers have Good Friday off, right? I remember growing up…hell, even a few years ago before I moved back down here, it was a holiday. Unfortunately, I’ll be at work. But in between going to church like the good little Catholic lad that I am, I’ll be getting freaky with 4,000 pages of fun, fun, fun!

i spend more time flipping to see how many pages i have left in sections than studying. and i end up highlighting the wholepage…

“and i end up highlighting the wholepage…” did that a lot with level 1…I had to steal a friend’s notes.

I’ve finishe Quant,Ethics,Corporate Finance FSA, Stuck on Asset Valuation done with about 70% of it . Asset Valuation just won’t end I’ve been on it forever it seems. Schedule 1hr review 50pages a day. I just want asset valuation to end already

I’ve done FSA, Quant, Econ, Corp Finance, Portfolio Management, and am about 1/2 through SS11 on Equity. I’ve been reviewing corp finance and econ since they both relate to Equity valuation. I’m thinking it might be time to review Quant too since I feel my knowledge slipping away. Its going to be tricky trying to time knowing everything on exam day. I feel like I can be an expert on any one topic but its tough to remember them all at once. When I finish equity valuation I’m going to do ethics as sort of a break and then finish the rest in order.

I have ethics left. Can I get by from reading only schweser?

I’m on Equity Analysis study session 11. Making low 80’s on test mgmt part of Qbank, but getting slaughtered; 50s and 60s on study session practice exams.

reviewing FI, CF, and derivative this week reviewing equity next week hoping to start book 6 by 2nd week of apr

Hey Houston, how are you doing? Books to Las Vegas, L1 & L2 (failed), just added weight to my luggage and made me feel so pathetic. Just getting through CFAI Study Session 9. Used Schweser almost exclusively last year…mistake, but then again, I watched way too much tv. Trying to be more focused this year. I don’t want to take L2 again in 2009.

Well there’s a familiar name, sorry to hear you suffered the same fate :frowning: I should finish up SS 14 today and hopefully begin reading SS 15. I read the CFAI material first, then do a quick read using Schweser and make notecards (fortunately/unfortunately most of the ones I made last year are still applicable). I’m trying to get through the rest of the material next week and then I’ll go back and do the end of chapter problems and the Schweser problems, before moving on to sample exams.

I’m in Sponge_Bob’s boat. Halfway through Schweser Book 4, and now just starting to get into Qbank. After I’ve finished all five books, I’m going to go back and do the problems at the end of each reading while still doing Qbank concurrently. Then I take a practice test. I then grade my practice test. The crying starts, I calm down, I review the practice test for my weak areas and review them, re-read my weak sections and doing questions until I’m blue in the face. Then I take a practice test. Rinse and repeat numerous times. Shooting for the first practice test sometime on April 19th or 20th, although the next weekend is probably a little more realistic.

Repetitio est mater studiorum. - Just finished the curriculum - rushed though it like crazy and now going to do practice problems. That worked for me on L1 and I think that is the most important thing on L2 too. Practice, Practice, Practice… I remember how confident I felt after reading the Schweser Books last year and when I started the questions, I barely scored 45%. This time I invested less time in reading and thus have more time for questions. Good luck to all of us.