Your story...

I’m curious to know what everyone thinks about telling “your story” during a job interview (2nd/3rd rounds)? Where you grew up, or a compelling story how you over came some personal objectives to get where you are today? It seems that during 1st round of interviews, employers check for competence, then I feel after that they test for fit. But I’m hesitate to talk about my personal life, because I don’t want to be “too loose” and unprofessional. Do you guys think there maybe personal topics you can and maybe should talk about? Example. I grew up in a poor family; worked and self-funded my college tuition at a top school, where I graduated top in my class.

I’d definitely talk about that stuff - telling your story is all about making yourself memorable. You don’t just want to come across as someone with just good grades and ok jobs - nobody will remember you. I always encourage people to say something that has some real “wow” factor. Especially in this economy, people that don’t have that factor get their resumes placed in a recycling bin.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’d definitely talk about that stuff - telling > your story is all about making yourself memorable. > You don’t just want to come across as someone with > just good grades and ok jobs - nobody will > remember you. I always encourage people to say > something that has some real “wow” factor. > Especially in this economy, people that don’t have > that factor get their resumes placed in a > recycling bin. Completely disagree.

I agree with numi. Most workers prefer someone with a bit of spark to them rather then average and boring, as SMIRK seems to prefer.

I get very personal from my first crush to my specific fetishes.

it was all a dream, i used to read word up magazine…

Numi is right - talking about overcoming that type of adversity demonstrates a whole heap of things employers look for. I say go for it.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’d definitely talk about that stuff - telling > your story is all about making yourself memorable. > You don’t just want to come across as someone with > just good grades and ok jobs - nobody will > remember you. I always encourage people to say > something that has some real “wow” factor. > Especially in this economy, people that don’t have > that factor get their resumes placed in a > recycling bin. Numi, Could you explain further? I myself came from lower-middle class family who didnt have a dime to send me to college…got in to almost every school I applied for across the country and had to stay home and go to Rutgers because I couldnt afford to go elsewhere. I worked a full time job while I was a full-time undergrad and both my parents were out of work for extended periods of time during the current “recession.” I managed to finish school in 4 years all through financing it myself and I wouldn’t be ashamed to tell this story to an interviewer but it sounds to me like complaining or whining…I am not even close to being the only person in the world that has had this problem and lets face it…there are much bigger problems in the world then some kid that struggled to get through college on his own

NSteen, we have a lot in common my friend…

Mason88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NSteen, we have a lot in common my friend… My point exactly…I dont know if its overcoming adversity if everyone is doing it…things are just that bad right now

I agree with Numi. Company’s are trying to size you up for ‘fit’ in an interview so it helps to try to give them a rounded picture of yourself over and above your career history and school results. The skill is in working these details naturally into the conversation without it seeming odd.

Candidate 1: tells a fascinating story about how he grew up as an poor inner city child to a single mom who worked 3 jobs and was recruited into both the bloods and crips but decided instead to focus on schoolwork, got straight A’s, was president of his young Democrats club, was shot 3 times carrying home medicine for his sick grandmother on his own graduation day but yet still managed to become the only kid in his entire graduating class to go to college. Candidate 2: someone who’s well qualified for the job. Candidate 2 gets the offer.

Or… Candidates 1 and 2 are similarly qualifed for a position but candidate 1 comes across as more personable and well-rounded in their interview. Candidate 1 gets the offer.

SMIRK Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Candidate 1: tells a fascinating story about how > he grew up as an poor inner city child to a single > mom who worked 3 jobs and was recruited into both > the bloods and crips but decided instead to focus > on schoolwork, got straight A’s, was president of > his young Democrats club, was shot 3 times > carrying home medicine for his sick grandmother on > his own graduation day but yet still managed to > become the only kid in his entire graduating class > to go to college. > > Candidate 2: someone who’s well qualified for the > job. > > Candidate 2 gets the offer. +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Yes, but if Candidate 1 is also qualified for the job, he/she is much more impressive. It sounds like Candidate 1 will work hard for his employer if the incentives align. Candidate 2 may be expecting a cushy job because that’s what daddy said all that expensive education was good for and will do things like complain that his first paycheck comes 30 days after he starts rather than on day 1. So Candidate 2 better have a compelling story too, unless the job is at a sub-par institution that needs to pay up for Candidate 2’s expensive credentials because their main staff doesn’t have any.

No sob stories plz. I hate interviewing people, but I would appreciate a cool story, like if you were a quarterback in college, something about cheerleaders, etc.

Many firms have a corporate identity and want to make sure their employees fit with it. If pedigree is part of that corporate identity, and that’s the case in a number of the best firms to work for, the compelling story goes to the dogs. When you hire one of those dudes with a compelling personal story you also have to realize whether or not he’s carrying a chip in his shoulder and wants to “teach a lesson to those people who got everything easy in life”.

Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Many firms have a corporate identity and want to > make sure their employees fit with it. If pedigree > is part of that corporate identity, and that’s the > case in a number of the best firms to work for, > the compelling story goes to the dogs. > > When you hire one of those dudes with a compelling > personal story you also have to realize whether or > not he’s carrying a chip in his shoulder and wants > to “teach a lesson to those people who got > everything easy in life”. I think thats an important point- there are many who have self funded their education and ‘risen’ above their peers, but it shouldn’t define you. If it somehow comes up naturally there is no reason to hide it. It will demonstrate many traits the employers seek- like show that you can multi task, handle stressful situations, deadlines, etc. Incorporate it this way- but DO NOT stroll in and offer up a “aren’t I awesome since I…” pity party. No one will respect that. You are not defined by your underprivileged past and you definitely don’t want that to be your professional trademark!

+12

It’s really interesting to see this point being discussed on this forum. Actually, I can share a first-hand experience. I have a similar story in funding for my 4 years of college myself, working full-time and taking 5-6 courses each semester, graduating on the President’s honor roll, listed on Dean’s honor roll for 4 consecutive semesters, being an immigrant and having to fight my way through everything - without any relatives or family here. Few months ago, I was short-listed for first round of interviews (I was told 12 candidates were short-listed out of almost 500 applicants). I had actually forgotten that I applied for this position, so it was a nice surprise when I got called. I tried telling this story to the interviewers (4 of them) to convey that I never shy away from hard work and always strive for excellence. Somehow, it didn’t work and I never got called for the 2nd round. I think I told my story too soon in the process. Bchad, what do you think?