Your Worst Job Ever.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Worst job ever: > > AT&T > > Enough said. did they make you use the company plan and limit roaming?

a7m002 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My worst was the first job out of college, it was > a startup with about 12 people. They were mostly > all men and mid 40s, and I am not, so I had very > little in common with them. There was another > girl, whom didn’t like me and said something > prejudice to me and the bosses did nothing about > it. It was supposed to be a financial analyst > position but it was far from, it was more like an > data entry analyst job. The men were perverts and > racists, we worked in one room, not even having > cubicles so we could have some privacy, but > literally one big table. I was bored and disgusted > at the whole thing but they gave me a sign on > bonus for 4k that I would have to pay if I left > within a year, so I was stuck in what I thought > was hell for a year. If you are a woman you most likely could have left and threatened to sue for harassment and simply kept the 4k.

I had 20+ jobs by the time I graduated college usually 3-4 at a time. I only hated one job due to the job’s duties, but many people and policies. I never disliked physically demandind jobs like many are complaining- but I was a college athlete so I get off on challenging myself physically so maybe thats why. Some anecdotes… In junior high I sold candy bars in front of grocery stores/ door-to-door for ''school fundraiser"… still having a hard time beating that on a post tax / hr basis :slight_smile: Started washing dished in a mom-and-pop bakery @ 9 for 10 bux a day and free goods that I would then take home and sell to my parents friends. Helped me amass experience necessary to move up to cake decorator in grocery story for a couple years when I was in HS where I would go home reeking of fried chicken (was next to deli) and blowing rainbow boogers from airbrushing all day with food coloring. I learned all about unions in this job. In college did stint as a personal trainer at large gym- this was the only job I hated as their practice was to award new members “free sessions” that in actuality were opportunities for trainers to hard sell training packages. You get these people that were so excited to have fun and they would be really upset when you started trying to close the deal- so we were basically fored to sell to disgruntled customers. I was also surrounded by meat heads and gymorexics- that was not fun. I figured I could pick up extra stints by working at the gym smoothie bar, that was decent fun except when the owner (korean) would come to collect money and constantly remind you that you were being recorded and that she was watching the tapes. I leaned a lot through all of my odd jobs- far more than at my respectable “real jobs”. I learned that if you own a business and you treat you employees like cr@p they will drive you into the ground. That the employees will steal a lot more than the customers if given the opportunity. That non-profits are full of idiots. That many people working min wage are ‘quicker’ and have more common sense than those with degree’s… that a good team can improve performance by orders of magnitude and conversely a bad apple can take down an empire. That like parents, bosses should not be friends. The list goes on. At my fancy job I learned not to make secretaries upset and how to use excel/sql :slight_smile: lol

worst jobs… department store… shoe department… as the n00b I ALWAYS was scheduled to work the sales… irregular hours… seriously women trash the shoe area when there are sales… retail sucks in general. WORST job was owrking as a traffic flagger… the dudes with the stop/slow signs over the summer… was working for a company that was trying to “die” so they could start a different LLC becasue the owners were getting divorced. it meant no good jobs i.e. with union wages, but instead basically a bunch of little side jobs at near minimum wage. Most boring job in the entire world… either on some busy road where everyone hates you, swears at you, throws stuff at you or in the middle of now where where you literally run out of stuff to think of. Good experience though… made we want to work hard in school so I could get a “real” job!

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Worst job ever: > > > > AT&T > > > > Enough said. > > > did they make you use the company plan and limit > roaming? No they hired me as a contractor so they could limit me to two days of vacation. I also optimized my reporting through building macros that I condensed what was “about an 8 hour a day job” into 15 minutes of real-solid-work. I would say on any given week I put in maybe 2 hours of “work” the other 38 hours I spent reading the news, day trading, or working on getting hired. It got to the point that when we moved office buildings I spent an hour positioning my screen/chair so that no one could see what I was doing on the computer. My AF post-count jumped about 1500 lol.

teen jobs caddy - i lasted two days, i went out for a 36 holes on my first day and I lost interest. valet parking - 1 night, it was probably 10 degrees outside, i froze and they stiffed me at the end of the night. jobs i took immediately after moving out of state and needed work quickly. bouncer - i had to throw out drunk people and clean up vomit, worst job I’ve had. bootleg t-shirt salesman - i sold t-shits outside of a bears vs packers game that said “packers suck - take your cheesehat and shove it up your ass!” bike messenger - 1 week, dangerous and i got stiffed on pay.

s*x booth cleaner, Amsterdam

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > s*x booth cleaner, Amsterdam YIKES. Im sure it was a mess. tough job man

dishwasher in a wing place when I was 15. why did it suck? no one thought I spoke english and would talk about me in front of me in english. hard to not be a good dishwasher but they were pretty mean on just dumb stuff… one day I said “wtf? why you talking about me”… they were speechless…

i’ve held a ton of jobs, too, and thinking back realize how much more i enjoyed my ‘non-professional’ jobs. though i hated being a paperboy (getting up every day at 6am - including holidays, rain/snow, etc.) i was outside riding my bike and meeting my neighbors. since then i worked at bakeries, restaraunts, bars, hotels, golf courses, did door-to-door sales, insurance sales, and landscaping/property management. my first ‘real’ job was def the worst. my manager was ghey and referred to me as ‘the cute one’ to his girlfriends which was very uncomfortable. the job was pretty baseless as i just created an excel s/s to do it for me which took about 15-20 minutes a day so i spent the rest of the time reading the news and looking for a way to get out of there.

Re: Your Worst Job Ever. new Posted by: BizBanker (IP Logged) [hide posts from this user] Date: May 11, 2010 06:00PM a7m002 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My worst was the first job out of college, it was > a startup with about 12 people. They were mostly > all men and mid 40s, and I am not, so I had very > little in common with them. There was another > girl, whom didn’t like me and said something > prejudice to me and the bosses did nothing about > it. It was supposed to be a financial analyst > position but it was far from, it was more like an > data entry analyst job. The men were perverts and > racists, we worked in one room, not even having > cubicles so we could have some privacy, but > literally one big table. I was bored and disgusted > at the whole thing but they gave me a sign on > bonus for 4k that I would have to pay if I left > within a year, so I was stuck in what I thought > was hell for a year. If you are a woman you most likely could have left and threatened to sue for harassment and simply kept the 4k Yeah I was a bit naive at the time, just coming out of college, but eventually I left and reported them to the equal opportunity bureau and they issued me a right to sue but most lawyers wouldn’t help me cause I did not walk out of the job… apparently thats the only way to prove you were under distress

^^ Yeah thats the bad part of the law. Its a complete after the fact solution and lawyers are in it for the money so if you dont have a valuable case, there isnt much they would do. Plus proving it only gets the EDD to possibly levy a fine. My boss actually asked us to write letters stating that one of the employees he fired had physically threatened him and that was his grounds for termination so he wouldnt have to pay unemployment. The guy was a case study in anti regulation conservatism.

I’ve had a fair number of jobs, some good some bad. The worst one ever was selling speakers out of the back of a van (I kid you not). Basically you drive around with a partner in a big white van full of speakers and hollar out of the window at people “Hey, you want to buy some speakers”. Although to my knowledge the merch was obtained legally, the key is to make it seem as shady as possible so that people think they are getting a deal. Nothing beats pulling up next to somebody on an interstate and yelling over the wind “I can sell you two really nice speakers for $100. Whaddaya say?”. I was once threatened with a gun. I quit this job and began selling spa packages, much nicer target market.

My first job was loading fruit and vegetables onto the back of a truck that was delivering goods to supermarkets. I had to be there at 5am and I was paid about $5-7 an hour. Teaching tennis was one of the worst jobs ever except that it paid well and I taught lots of hot Moms. Other than that, I hated it.

^ you get it on with any of the MILFs?

I have had a lot of jobs and have been struggling to pick the worst one. One memorable job was working in a small standalone photo processing booth located in a strip mall. It was a part time job paying minimum wage that I held for a few months while I was doing my undergrad degree. I assumed I could study in the booth since I worked unsupervised. What made it bad: 1) Pervs! Believe it or not, there were pervs who thought they could take photos of hos, kids etc and get them processed and returned without people like me looking over the photos out of boredom before the customer came to pick them up! This one guy must have rented every ho in Hotlanta and took photos of them, also photographed random women walking along the street. At my booth, he called himself “Mr Smith”, but at my roommate’s booth, he was “Mr Black” and once we both ran into him at a club and greeted him as “Hello, Mr Smith!” “Hello, Mr Black!” What a perv! 2) Robbers. There was a rash of armed holdups at these booths when I was working there. One day while on duty, I saw this guy approach on foot (no one EVER did this, it was a drive up booth) dressed according to the description of the robber. I knew he wasn’t a legitimate customer, because he didn’t have a roll of film to develop - he picked up a negative from the parking lot and brought it to the window. He didn’t realize I saw him do this. I called my manager and said that the robber was casing my booth and I needed him to come because the store was going to be robbed. He never did. I put all of my cash away (aobut $50) and shut the store down 30 minutes early so I could get out before the robber came back. Just as I was locking up, and was still inside the little booth, he showed up! I held up the “closed” sign and he pointed to his gun. I had to give him the store’s money. The next day, the boss asked why I’d given him the money. DUH. I quit that day! Then they investigated my roommate, who was also robbed, thinking we were colluding in a crime ring.

transferpricingCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ you get it on with any of the MILFs? seriously, a job where you get to play with MILFs all day is a bad job?

smileygladhands Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > transferpricingCFA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ^ you get it on with any of the MILFs? > > > seriously, a job where you get to play with MILFs > all day is a bad job? I guess I didn’t really hate the job, especially when the rich and neglected divorced wife would say “why don’t you come over for lunch after tennis”…guess it was a dream job…I just hated teaching tennis

i’d probably quit my job right now for something where i got to be in the sun and play with milfs all day. problem - have no clue how to play tennis

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve had a fair number of jobs, some good some > bad. The worst one ever was selling speakers out > of the back of a van (I kid you not). Basically > you drive around with a partner in a big white van > full of speakers and hollar out of the window at > people “Hey, you want to buy some speakers”. > Although to my knowledge the merch was obtained > legally, the key is to make it seem as shady as > possible so that people think they are getting a > deal. Nothing beats pulling up next to somebody > on an interstate and yelling over the wind “I can > sell you two really nice speakers for $100. > Whaddaya say?”. I was once threatened with a gun. > I quit this job and began selling spa packages, > much nicer target market. I was solicited by two guys out of a white van just as you described while I was getting gas. They just wouldn’t let up and kept talking to me about the speakers. A month later, THE SAME GUYS tried to sell them to me again in a different location. Of course by that time they didn’t remember who I was. Pretty annoying.