Last day at job

As you guys might recall, I gave my notice two weeks ago, and today is my last day.

I thought there would be more wailing and gnashing of teeth, more cursing and screaming, maybe tears of joy, maybe tears of sorrow.

Alas–it has kinda been like every other day.

Anybody have some good stories to tell?

Always a kick to the nuts when you realize how little you matter. World keeps on turning.

Yeah, people have a wildly distorted view of how little the company cares if you stay or go.

yup. I always don’t want a fuss and then feel gutted when no fuss is made.

^Considering that we’re such a small office, I kinda thought it would be a bigger deal. I mean, I’m one of only four tax-return preparers (and one of the others quit earlier this week).

But the boss didn’t even try to convince me to stay, nor did he ask me to reconsider. I would have gladly had the conversation, but it never materialized.

i’m sure you matter more to them than they are letting on. that’s the game – who can project a bigger ‘no big deal’ attitude.

Story: my last day my boss came in my office asking for a write up on a situation that needed to be taken to investment committee for a decision. When I told him I didn’t get to it, he nearly lost it. He’d never expressed anger towards me until that moment. Now I could have said, “not my problem anymore”, but I sort of felt bad for the guy. He would have had to go to investment committee and ask for something with no idea why he was asking – except that it was his job to oversee and be informed on everything, minor detail. I threw him a bone and spent my last morning scrambling to put something together. He was grateful, and while I have no use for anyone at my last company whatsoever, it was probably the right move.

Be sure to report back on the send off & parting gifts.

Think of this instead as an opportunity to finally be the baws pouring whiskey in your coffee and smoking a joint after working out during your two hour lunch break.

Definitely a long lunch with a few beers is in order.

@Turd - I will gladly say that I never got “short-timer’s”, and started slacking and leaving early. I think it’s despicable when people do that.

But I finished up everything I had open yesterday, so today I really don’t have anything to do, except hang out, post on AF, and finish packing up the very few things I have in my office.

Even if your boss is devastated he’s never going to show it, the decision has been made.

You never know, he might spend the evening sitting over a beer and weeping like a teased vagina

1 place I worked at back home, people would literally give people the silent treatment after they resigned. and they made them work their full notice period of 3-6 months depending on seniority. from appearing like friends 1 day to acting like the bloke had raped their sister the next

proper old school

Yes and no. The company does care about the short-term disruption of reorganizing around the change in talent mix.

Long-term, very few of us are as irreplaceable as we’d like to think we are.

I think the biggest distortion comes from us mistaking how the company definitely cares about our departure in the short term, and doesn’t really give a crap about us in the long term.

I’m so happy when I quit my job last year they asked me to leave on the day I gave my notice. I really didn’t want to work out my 2 week notice period.

Good luck in the new gig greenie

Awful analogy. One is sad the other is excited.

My last day’s next thursday and I’m still getting tons of work. Im doing some prioritizing on what i bother with

But i’m definitely that guy that left at 4, then 3… today i’ll be out of here at noon…

While i appreciate that there is still a lot to do every day, at a certain point it’s no longer your responsibility if that last contract and those models aren’t ready.

I missed your post where you announced your notice. I’m assuming you’re moving on to bigger and better things (and bigger pay). I’m proud of you despite the fact that I can no longer use your low pay as jokes anymore. I’m hoping I’m not losing the short sleeve button up jokes with this move though. I’m not done with those.

@FT - check the “how much comfort money can buy” thread.

Yes, for those who are wondering–I did quit my job. Today is the first day on the new job.

And I’m actually getting paid on two different levels now. Base pay is about the same. However, after one year, this new job has some things I’d never heard of before, like “Quarterly Incentive Bonus”, “Christmas Bonus”, “401k”, etc.

Additionally, I’m getting paid separately for all my investment-related stuff. We have yet to determine the split, but there won’t be any overhead–all of my production is pure profit. And my boss will pay for me to go to the annual conference, training, etc. (whereas before, I had to pay my own way out of my production).

So, as far as I know, I’m getting paid the same right now. If/when the other stuff kicks in, I’ll let you know.

so did they give you a Rolie for your years of service? No? Not even a Casio?

Yes, for those who are wondering–I did quit my job. Today is the first day on the new job.

And I’m actually getting paid on two different levels now. Base pay is about the same. However, after one year, this new job has some things I’d never heard of before, like “Quarterly Incentive Bonus”, “Christmas Bonus”, “401k”, etc.

Additionally, I’m getting paid separately for all my investment-related stuff. We have yet to determine the split, but there won’t be any overhead–all of my production is pure profit. And my boss will pay for me to go to the annual conference, training, etc. (whereas before, I had to pay my own way out of my production).

Can you provide more details on what you mean by “split”?

Having your overhead covered is pretty sweet though - however if you have to “split” some revenue with your boss then you are paying for it this way. Some dealers also pay out a branch override / bonus depending on production etc…which your branch manager (BM) may be getting (and using a portion to cover your costs to attend a conference etc). The BM also collects a portion of fee for BM services as well.

Is your payout still dependant on the AUM per client?

[/quote]

^I have absolutely no idea on any of the above. We’re probably going to hash out these details in the next few days.

And I’m in a different situation than most retail FAs - I’m not in a “branch”. There’s me and the boss, and that’s it. We have another couple of people that work in the tax practice, but AFAIK, they’re exclusively tax and accounting, while I’m partly financial services, as well.