Sign up  |  Log in

Just Registered for Level II

Hi everyone,

Just registered for Level II, can’t believe it, feels like I just registered for Level I. But I’m super excited to get back to the grind. Went into Level I unsure, but I came out on top. Could have went either way. 

I’m having a problem deciding what test prep I will be using for Level II.

For Level I I read Schweser Notes in their entirety, did CFAI text for places I had problems, CFAI EOC questions and Kaplan mocks/Qbank. I felt prepared but I felt I could have been better prepared. I do not have a formal education in finance. Probably should have done more mock exams.

For Level II I’m considering Calk and Board. I hear a lot of good things about him, but I’m concerned that not having the Schweser notes and reading through the CFAI text books instead may take up too much time. I will start studying after Labor day so time is on my side. 

A bit confused what to do, any input would be appreciated. Thank you.  

The best just got better. Schweser's upgraded content and redesigned study platform are exactly what you need to pass the Level III exam. Save 10% when you preorder a Premium Package for a limited time.

CFAI textbooks are really a must on level 2.

As long as you start studying around Labor day, it doesn’t matter if you study straight from the curriculum or some 3rd party provider, you will pass. 

If you're the first out the door, that's not called panicking

This is what I’m hearing. Maybe I’ll stick with the cfai text this time around and ditch schweser notes. Time on my side. For level 1 thought cfai text was much better but I didn’t start till Jan I don’t think I would had enough time. 

truth01 wrote:

This is what I’m hearing. Maybe I’ll stick with the cfai text this time around and ditch schweser notes. Time on my side. For level 1 thought cfai text was much better but I didn’t start till Jan I don’t think I would had enough time. 

I’d say you’re better off studying at least FI, EQ and FRA straight from CFAI books. 

It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

Welcome to the Frey! I’m using Meldrum and CFAI curriculum. I was disappointed with Kaplan for L1 too.  Even though I passed, there was definitely stuff in the CFAI mocks and qbank that Kaplan didn’t cover and I spent review speed reading the corruculum to fill the gap. I Also wound up buying Meldrum for L1 one subject at a time.  We have time so I’m reading the whole corruculum. I’ll probably still get Wiley qbank because they have a nice app to work on questions on my phone. Meldrum seems to have a nice size qbank as well. I like to save the CFAI qbank for April.

I’m sure Kaplan is sufficient for many people. I’m just not good with the minimum effort strategy. 

Financial Planner
BBA (Finance & International Business) 1998,
MBA (With a Global Perspecytive) 2011,
ChFC® 2018, CLU® 2019
Owns an Independent RIA/Insurance Agency
Series 65, Life, Annuities, Health (Expired 6,63)

I had ordered Meldrum for level 1 along the way to compliment my Schweser studies, but did not like MM’s videos. They were too lengthy and I had a tough time retaining the knowledge. I learn best by reading. 

Also feel like Schweser minimally prepares you. Grateful for their program because I did pass level 1, but with time on my side, leaning towards Nathan Ronen and cfai text. Will order test prep mocks, and qbanks probably. Def not schweser qbank though thought that was useless.  Schweser mocks was all I did for level 1, so pretty good material there. 

truth01 wrote:

I had ordered Meldrum for level 1 along the way to compliment my Schweser studies, but did not like MM’s videos. They were too lengthy and I had a tough time retaining the knowledge. I learn best by reading. 

Also feel like Schweser minimally prepares you. Grateful for their program because I did pass level 1, but with time on my side, leaning towards Nathan Ronen and cfai text. Will order test prep mocks, and qbanks probably. Def not schweser qbank though thought that was useless.  Schweser mocks was all I did for level 1, so pretty good material there. 

MM Videos are indeed long.  I’m watching them in chunks now, by Los, as I read.  For L1 I either watched entire videos or the sections where I was struggling to understand. I’m also following his review schedule to get the eoc’s done in time for each release.  That will mean 2 passes of all blue box examples and eoc’s before I even start my review in April. 

I do plan to buy Kaplans secret sauce and quick sheet. They were great for the last week or so in L1.

Financial Planner
BBA (Finance & International Business) 1998,
MBA (With a Global Perspecytive) 2011,
ChFC® 2018, CLU® 2019
Owns an Independent RIA/Insurance Agency
Series 65, Life, Annuities, Health (Expired 6,63)

I also have just registered for Level II, and share the same doubts and excitement. I decided to follow CFAI curriculum solely, as time is (still) on our side… Good luck everybody!

Congrats for getting registered.

Did they provide curriculum through vital source drop down format or pdf page wise format?

Will also get Kaplan secret sauce, review sheet in addition to their mocks. Will couple this with cfai text, chalk and board and probably a few orher’s mocks. Happy to have solidified my strategy for level II. 

I relied exclusively on the Schweser material for LEARNING the material. After I had learned the material, I did all of the Topic Tests and practice problems on the CFA website, reset them all, and then did them again. 

Lather, rinse, repeat.

The key to Level 2 is to just. keep. grinding. 

I did Kaplan + CFAI supplemental material (EOC, BB).. i did not have time for the full curriculum. I felt like what I used was way more than enough given my demanding job, so it depends on your study style. 

Passed Level 2 in 2018 using my buddy’s 2017 books, and 6 mock exams from kaplan plus the 2017 CFAI mock. Good luck!

What kind of books?

What worked for me was using Wiley videos (and questions at the end) with CFAI EOC questions.. Cant stress enough to do the CFAI EOC multiple times.. I probably did all of them 3 times over. Then for mocks i suggest Kaplan

2017: Schweser self study, failed

2018: Schweser online class (January start), failed

2019: Schweser online class (October start), passed

I think the main thing that helped me was the earlier start. It allows you to get through the material faster so you can get to practice problems a lot sooner. Also the class keeps you on pace to complete the material with ample time for review and practice problems.

I don’t think taking the class is a game changer but it did help to keep me on schedule with my studying.

  1. I used only schweser with classes and videos. Passed first time. My name is just trolling. But schweser’s stufff gets too complicated at times, which is frustrating. If I had to do it again I would use Mark Meldrum and EOC until I drop. 

No need to read the curriculum. It gets super complicated, especially the derivatives reading. I used IFT videos and notes. I would put IFT notes to be the best out there. I also bought Meldrum’s package, just for fixed income and derivatives. Started in March and passed comfortably. As long as you put in the hours, you’ll be fine. 

The body achieves, what the mind believes.

quick and dumb question

for June 2020 level 2 exam, i need the 2019 or 2020 schweser notes?

asking because i have 2019 but if i recall i dont remember notes being ready until november for june sittings

Thank you for all the comments. I’m going to use Kaplan Schweser again for Level II. The Schweser Notes are good for me because I work full time. CFAI text will take too much time away from doing practice problems. So my stratergy is Schweser Notes, EOC questions, CFAI questions on their website, repeat. Lots of mocks, Kaplan mocks, CFAI mocks, and other third party mocks. Will start Schweser Notes as soon as them come out.

MM videos are LOS by LOS .. thats why you dont want to miss them. an excellent instructor to be honest… look at LinkedIn - tons of candidates passing CFA levels are majority tagging MM for thankful wishes due to his videos and content. 

dont just hear… go verify and search LinkedIn CFA candidates 

Enigma278 wrote:

MM videos are LOS by LOS .. thats why you dont want to miss them. an excellent instructor to be honest… look at LinkedIn - tons of candidates passing CFA levels are majority tagging MM for thankful wishes due to his videos and content. 

dont just hear… go verify and search LinkedIn CFA candidates 

Thank you but for whatever reason I didn’t care for MM videos. I tried them for level I and they are too long for me, almost like nail biting long. I learn much better at reading and then some sort of classroom for reinforcement. 

Level 2 would be big on understanding the concepts rather than memorizing. With hundred of formulas if you start memorizing it, it would be pretty much game over for you. every prep provide has youtube video. Check who can explain any particualr topic best without a slideshow and 100 bullet points . 

Rules_Of_Acquisition wrote:

CFAI textbooks are really a must on level 2.

Just for EOC and probably BB. I used only MM and the EOC questions and it went fine.

snfuenza wrote:

Rules_Of_Acquisition wrote:

CFAI textbooks are really a must on level 2.

Just for EOC and probably BB. I used only MM and the EOC questions and it went fine.

Yes. So Schweser notes, EOC questions (CFAI text),  BB exmaples (CFAI text), Kaplan Mocks, CFAI Mocks, CFAI online QBank, Konvexity mocks. Schweser also has topic tests, someone suggested do those also. 

Rules_Of_Acquisition wrote:

CFAI textbooks are really a must on level 2.

I’ll second this, I used purely Kaplan and the CFA qBank with mocks and after sinking 400+ hours into it I only just passed - saved by ethics and equity 90th percentile, flopped FRA. 

In hind sight I shouldn’t have neglected the CFA material, pretty stupid really. Level 3 is going to be pure CFA.

Also anyone reading this, I don’t recommend the weekly classes or 3-day crash course. It’s just word vomit and passive learning. No real value add in my opinion. 

Pushing will get a person almost anywhere, except through a door marked “pull”

Tez4715 wrote:

Rules_Of_Acquisition wrote:

CFAI textbooks are really a must on level 2.

I’ll second this, I used purely Kaplan and the CFA qBank with mocks and after sinking 400+ hours into it I only just passed - saved by ethics and equity 90th percentile, flopped FRA. 

In hind sight I shouldn’t have neglected the CFA material, pretty stupid really. Level 3 is going to be pure CFA.

Also anyone reading this, I don’t recommend the weekly classes or 3-day crash course. It’s just word vomit and passive learning. No real value add in my opinion. 

I plan to use Schweser Notes for my main books to read but will drill into CFAI text for places I need more and I’m having difficulty with.

I chose not to do the review course but the weekly classes do keep me on track. Congratulations on passing level II!

truth01 wrote:

Tez4715 wrote:

Rules_Of_Acquisition wrote:

CFAI textbooks are really a must on level 2.

I’ll second this, I used purely Kaplan and the CFA qBank with mocks and after sinking 400+ hours into it I only just passed - saved by ethics and equity 90th percentile, flopped FRA. 

In hind sight I shouldn’t have neglected the CFA material, pretty stupid really. Level 3 is going to be pure CFA.

Also anyone reading this, I don’t recommend the weekly classes or 3-day crash course. It’s just word vomit and passive learning. No real value add in my opinion. 

I plan to use Schweser Notes for my main books to read but will drill into CFAI text for places I need more and I’m having difficulty with.

I chose not to do the review course but the weekly classes do keep me on track. Congratulations on passing level II!

Thank you Sir. Schweser are great a summarising, I’d recommend hitting up the blue boxes on top of each section reading yes

Best of luck with this beast! 

Pushing will get a person almost anywhere, except through a door marked “pull”