2012 - The Coming Apocalypse

Throw a huge orgy

Happy to say I agree with kkent. There are pieces of scientific knowledge that can be embedded in legends and seemingly mystical things like astrology. Long ago I read something on astrology that changed my thinking on the subject. The point was not that things like Saturn and the Moon control your destiny, but that there are cycles in human lives and human history that tend to repeat themselves on roughly the same cycles as the planets. Thus, the position of Saturn and the phase of the moon aren’t the causes of things - they are merely the clocks telling you when it’s time to be aware of specific things. Although I don’t buy it hook, line, and sinker, it did convince me that some astrology could be consistent with a scientific viewpoint, though one would still like to know the underlying causes of these cycles, rather than simply that they come around. No so different from the sunspot cycle, really, which actually does have real effects. I’ve also read research that says that the Moon actually does have some remarkable influences on people. There is some evidence that the moon can even affect things like menstruation and fertility much as it does the tides. I find that hard to believe, but it seems that women are more likely to be fertile when the moon is in the same phase as it was when they were born, even if that phase comes in the middle of their “visitor.” I wouldn’t do my family planning based on this, but it is fascinating to contemplate.

i’d short the market! haha

“No, not in this case. Astrology is fundamentally based in a deep, fundamental understanding of mathematics and astronomy.” No it isn’t. It’s based on a bunch of con artists spouting vague BS at anyone dumb enough to listen and believe it.

o…i need to complete my cfa before that

Mandelbrot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “No, not in this case. Astrology is fundamentally > based in a deep, fundamental understanding of > mathematics and astronomy.” > > No it isn’t. It’s based on a bunch of con artists > spouting vague BS at anyone dumb enough to listen > and believe it. You’re incredibly dumb if you believe that astrology–which I DON’T believe in–doesn’t require deep knowledge of astronomy and astronomical positions. It’s one of the original sciences known to man, although–as stated now twice before–it is mystic and based upon some form of spiritual beliefs (which I don’t believe–I’m not on astrologist). Nobody here is talking about the garbage that comes out of women’s magazines. As is clear by any fundamental understanding of history, we are talking about the Mayans and Nostradamus, among others, not about Cosmo Magazine.

Mandelbrot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “No, not in this case. Astrology is fundamentally > based in a deep, fundamental understanding of > mathematics and astronomy.” > > No it isn’t. It’s based on a bunch of con artists > spouting vague BS at anyone dumb enough to listen > and believe it. As a believer in astrology I take offense to this. What if I told you your religion was BS?

I think what our conservative-reputed friend is saying is that while the conclusions of astrology might not have been correct, they were based on some patterned observation of natural phenomena. This constitutes a form of scientific inquiry, even if the conclusions ended up being purely coincidental.

Man is the measure of all things. No point wasting time on what the planets’ could say or what the markings on your palm mean. I believe that there is no such thing as right or wrong, good or evil, heaven or earth. There are only choices and choices have consequences. We as, humans, always want to cling onto something, some belief that will help us rationalize our actions – a sad attempt, nevertheless. Make a choice, live with it without emotions. But it’s easier said than done. I try to live by this rule and have failed so far. One day I hope to succeed.

sid3699 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I try to live by this rule and have failed so far. Switch to astrology, guaranteed success in 10 days.

edgeraz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Switch to astrology, guaranteed success in 10 > days. ^Lol. Hitler also liked Astrology. Maybe MattLikesHitler would like to discuss the topic in further detail.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Happy to say I agree with kkent. There are pieces > of scientific knowledge that can be embedded in > legends and seemingly mystical things like > astrology. > > Long ago I read something on astrology that > changed my thinking on the subject. The point was > not that things like Saturn and the Moon control > your destiny, but that there are cycles in human > lives and human history that tend to repeat > themselves on roughly the same cycles as the > planets. Thus, the position of Saturn and the > phase of the moon aren’t the causes of things - > they are merely the clocks telling you when it’s > time to be aware of specific things. > > Although I don’t buy it hook, line, and sinker, it > did convince me that some astrology could be > consistent with a scientific viewpoint, though one > would still like to know the underlying causes of > these cycles, rather than simply that they come > around. No so different from the sunspot cycle, > really, which actually does have real effects. > > I’ve also read research that says that the Moon > actually does have some remarkable influences on > people. There is some evidence that the moon can > even affect things like menstruation and fertility > much as it does the tides. I find that hard to > believe, but it seems that women are more likely > to be fertile when the moon is in the same phase > as it was when they were born, even if that phase > comes in the middle of their “visitor.” > > I wouldn’t do my family planning based on this, > but it is fascinating to contemplate. This is very interesting that you bring this up. My father is very well-engrossed in chinese astrology. He was telling me this past weekend how Asian countries and European countries have a completely different view of the subject. Most of the Western world will cast off astrology as superstition. However, if you go to China or Korea, astrology is a major in universities. That’s right. It’s a scientific theory to be studied and that’s the perception and how it’s regarded. My dad has two Master’s degrees in Theology from top American seminary schools. He believes in both astrology and the Bible and that they aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive. I don’t necessarily believe it, but I don’t think it’s completely impossible that the timing of your birth will determine your destiny. He has made some startling predictions with fairly close accuracy. Is this coincidence? I don’t know. So I maintain an open mind about this whole thing. Here’s an example of a prediction he made. He once met a really rich and successful guy at the driving range. When people are successful, oftentimes they think it’s of their own doing and this thinking clouds their judgment. Anyway, he read his fortune and told him to be very careful of women over the next year. Something really bad may happen. Fast forward one year and he finds out this guy ended up being seduced by a woman. She wooed him and after they had sex, she blackmailed him for money. If he didn’t pay up, she would call the cops and claim rape. Whaddyaknow? Now he’s in prison for rape, when the sex was consensual.

Rich people dont have sex. They have Fidelity.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Rich people dont have sex. They have Fidelity. now it is really getting boring.

pupdawg82 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nuppal Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Rich people dont have sex. They have Fidelity. > > > now it is really getting boring. I agree.

^+1 The Fidelity joke was funny when it was used tactfully and sparingly. Now it’s just annoying to me. Just my opinion.

The Mayan calendar doesn’t really end, they just didn’t think to put anything beyond that date. It’s more like a Mayan Y2K. Astrology is not science in any way, shape or form, and equivocating it with science on any level does a grave disservice to any scientific field.

NakedPuts Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >equivocating it with science on any > level does a grave disservice to any scientific > field. I hate being grammar police, but dude equivocating ain’t fitting here. Do you know the meaning of that word? I think you meant comparing instead of equivocating. Try astrology, it will help you overcome all your grammar confusions, 10 days guarantee.

^^^ I agree on name and shape, but there are some similarities in form.

Astrology is just like fundamental analysis or technical analysis. It is a system that some believes because it has worked for them in previous times. It is another way for people to turn into mindless idiots, as they are fooled by randomness.