2013 Mock Score Breakdowns

I’m trying to figure out how to best use my time from now until exam day. How did everyone else do on a per topic basis?

I scored really poorly in the some big topics (FRA, Eqt, and Ethics). I’m just wondering if this is because I’m weak at these topics and need to review these or if it’s just because these item sets were ridiculously difficult. In Schweser mocks I consistently scored 80+ in Ethics and was high 60 - low 70s on FRA and Eqt, so I didn’t think these were my weak topics. Based on Schweser, I should be hitting PM, Econ, FI instead, but CFAI mock says otherwise.

Ethics 58% QT 67% CF 67% Deriv 92% (I had some lucky gueses here) PM 58% FRA 54%** EQT 50%** FI 67% Econ 83% (couldn’t believe how easy this section was, am I the only one who thought this? I was praying for 33% in Econ) AI 83%

Overall: 64%

I was scoring around 80ish a week before Level I so I didn’t really study much in the past few days at all,

I’m getting less for Level II so I’m stepping it up, but if I was in your place I would probably just make sure I’ve memorized a couple of formulas and work on not stressing.

what, so you’re saying you think my scores are “good to go” scores?

I feel like I know the material but the format of the actual exam and the time pressure really threw me.

If I were you’d I’d definitely be hitting FRA and Equity. Because they are the bigger sections, CFAI really tests the nuance of the topics.

Also ethics. Scores in ethics can vary quite substantially. I’m doing an hour of ethics practice questions each day until the exam, virtually the 1 use of qbank for level 2.

Don’t take the advice to slow it down! The 1st rule of level 2 is to disregard your experience from level 1, that goes for the realtive difficulty of mocks to the real thing, the translation of mock scores to your final score etc.

I agree on Economics, I was wincing when I turned the page onto that vignette and ended up with 6/6.

Kudos for the Derivatives score by the way!

For ethics, those scores vary the most for me. one mock, I get 10/12 and another I got 6 straight wrong to wind up with a 3/12! OUchie

FRA+EQUITY+ETHICS IS GAME

Denifinitely do: FRA BBs, Equity more problems, Ethics review ROS and Soft Dollars + Qbank 40/day, and rest of topics just to keep fit with it :slight_smile:

I have always counted my lucky gueses as wrong answers on every mock I have done. wink At least the score was as conservatie as possible…

ECO shd be easy in exam also fucking subject angry

What was your scores without guesses? That’s a much better measure and eliminates non-recurring items that may not show up on test day. When I do mocks, I star “Guesses” and compute two scores.

I think the above gives a better way of studying, since the odds of getting those 6 questions on test day isn’t very likely. My opinon though

And you look like you are doing well man. Just keep pushing and “peak” a day or two before the exam. That’s my goal – I’m hitting FRA hard, trying to memorize all the rules. Memorizing formulas and revisiting sections again, as I try to utilize the research in learning to my advantage in the CFA exam. But I’m not very confident relative to my L1 success (I don’t think I’ll be finishing this test in a total of 2.5 hours, level 1 was a joke to me)

What was your scores without guesses? That’s a much better measure and eliminates non-recurring items that may not show up on test day. When I do mocks, I star “Guesses” and compute two scores.

I think the above gives a better way of studying, since the odds of getting those 6 questions on test day isn’t very likely. My opinon though

And you look like you are doing well man. Just keep pushing and “peak” a day or two before the exam. That’s my goal – I’m hitting FRA hard, trying to memorize all the rules. Memorizing formulas and revisiting sections again, as I try to utilize the research in learning to my advantage in the CFA exam. But I’m not very confident relative to my L1 success (I don’t think I’ll be finishing this test in a total of 2.5 hours, level 1 was a joke to me)

Ethics 50% Deriv 92% Fixed Inc 67% Port 83% AI 67% Quant 83% Fin Rep 42% Corp Fin 42% Equity 44% Econ 67% Overall 59%

I don’t understand this logic for anything other than motivational purposes. This mock was a random sampling of test-caliber questions, he took guesses on those where he wasnt 100% confident, the guesses turned out in his favor.

I’ll grant you that these are unlikely to turn up on test day, but the same can be said for most of the other questions he answered confidently and got right. I can assume that CleverCFA will not be leaving questions blank on June 1 because he doesn’t want to answer the questions that he’d only be guessing on - he will simply guess on them like he did here.

Great motivational tactic. True indicator of a score? No.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by a guess. I tend to strip out a couple of answers per practice exam where i simply just did not have a clue, usually calculation based questions where you don’t know the method. for example, i did an exam today and i’d forgotten how to calculate economic income, i randomly guessed the correct answer but i marked is as an incorrect answer when computing the overall score.

I don’t see the value in stripping out wordy/concept questions where you made an education guess though. There will be a lot of them on exam day no matter how well you know the material.

another 92% on derivatives! so you must have got at least 5/6 on the swaps item set, how did you guys do it?

Ethics: 67%

Quant: 67%

Eco: 50%

AI: 100%

FRA: 71%

Equity: 50%

CF: 42%

FI: 75%

PM: 75%

Der: 75%

Overall: 66%

Time was a massive factor for me on this exam. Equity and CF are usually my strong points aswell.

This is the real answer.

Yeah, anything you want to ask?

We need a statistician to regress the most commonly correct letter answer of past level 2 tests, so we can find the highest R^2 and know with the highest level of confidence what we should choose for our guesses

How did you know that the swap payments were to be calculated semi annually? Was there anything in the vignette or question that gave it away or was it just trial and error? if the latter, how did you have time?

I didn’t, I started a thread about it here (which you replied to), nobody so far has been able to answer. I calculated with yearly rates, my answer was wrong, so I guessed on the closesed one to my answer and it was correct.