2nd Bachelors?

I am up late thinking and now I have a headache. Yes, I am not used to thinking. But I needed some opinion on this. I have a BS in Econ and I am considering going back to school. MBA is very likely but I am not ready for it. I don’t have experience and I would prefer to get plenty before I go back for MBA even though some schools do accept new graduates w/o experience. I don’t think I want to be sitting in those classes if one of those schools do accept me. I’ve always wanted to get a degree in mathematics, actuarial/statistical mathematics particularly. I think it would go well with my Econ degree and maybe broaden my career choices even more. I also know that the actuarial field is growing. I am considering it because with today’s market I might have a real hard time finding a career job. I also would like to give myself a second chance at college since I didn’t take the first time around as seriously as I would’ve liked. I know what NOT to do now. But learning from my mistakes is yet to be known. Most of it is wanting to do something I’ve always thought about (since my sophmore year). I’m still young and I don’t think it would hurt to try. I’m just battling over opportunity costs of time and money. And also what is better, another BS or getting a Masters in Econ - which I am not as sure about.

Get an MA in Mathematical Finance . . . I know Columbia has one http://www.math.columbia.edu/programs/main/mafin/index.html Or I am sure some schools have straight up math if you want to do that

I think you should just get an MBA though if going back to school - why would you want to do all the applications and schoolwork without the benefits of having an MBA?

In my opinion, I don’t feel that an MBA is any relevant/beneficial for me till I get actual related work experience. I don’t want to just learn without applying. I’m also in Texas and intending on staying here. North Texas to be exact. SMU, UTA, UTD, UD, and UNT are pretty much my only options. I wanted to start from scratch if that makes sense and maybe increase my chances of better grad school potential cause I don’t feel like I have much now. I am also wanting to learn more advanced math. But I guess I can take those course as electives with a Masters/MBA. But you are right, I have not though of mathematical finance, gotta check up on the programs now. Good thing I posted my headache.

Most schools will not allow you to do a second bachelors. You might want to look at part-time Master’s programs to allow you to gain the experience before you apply for MBA programs.

What about TCU? It’s probably not as good as SMU but better than the other choices you’ve listed…

The schools I’ve looked at allow it. Am I just being stubborn? I found one quantitative finance master’s program but it seeks experience and certain prereqs.

chitasan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In my opinion, I don’t feel that an MBA is any > relevant/beneficial for me till I get actual > related work experience. I don’t want to just > learn without applying. All good MBA programs focus on applying classroom theory to the real world, through case studies and group projects. This is pretty much the point of an MBA program. Most MBA programs require you to work full time for 2 years before going back to school.

I prefer the Dallas area over FW. And I’m not looking to pay an arm and a leg and house for TCU or SMU. Also, coming from a different background, I prefer to be in classrooms with more diversity in terms of demographics and income level. Not to say that TCU and SMU don’t have certain qualities such as alumni and possibly better programs. Also I wouldn’t mind another bachelor’s to start over cause I didn’t understand college the first time around with moving out, working, paying bills. All I wanted to do was just get out of college ASAP and didn’t do as well as I wanted going to school 18hrs and working 30+ a semester.

Yes, that is why I can’t get MBA yet. And yes, some schools here allow you to enter MBA programs if you’re a recent graduate. But those are the programs I’m not sure I want to try.

chitasan, i’ve always really wanted to get BS in Math. I always loved math and i would probably become a mathematician if not for certain events out of my control that happened in my late teens. How long will it take to get part time BS in Math? 2 years?

CSK, you are the first to be pro BS math. If I do it, yes it would be around two years. I think it would broaden my career options but nobody else seem to support the idea. Of course I should do as I like but I don’t wanna waste my time if it doesn’t.

You could look into an MS in Finance program. These typically take nine months and give you pretty good a access to recruiting. I have a friend who went to school with me (small liberal arts school) and got an MS in finance and it looks like it provided him with great recruiting opportunities. He is know working as an analyst at a boutique investment bank in the southeast. Also, this option was suggested to me by a recruiter who rejected me (after final round) from a corporate banking analyst program.

chitasan, the reason i am pro, is that i dont believe in MFE, unless you have SOLID theoretical math background. I dont want to solve equations i dont understand, that is not how i study

That’s the same logic I have. What is it that you do now CSK? How are your math skills?

i am a developer for one of the major investment banks. My math is not that advanced, i am solid all the way up to derivatives (meaning, i can solve problems even now with easy) but later it gets blurry. I know material but not to the level i would like to, that is why i know cant go to MFE, even though i can get in, and have college credits to do so

Chitasan, can you elaborate on part-time Bachelor degree? Do i call counsler to find out about it?

Part time Bachelors degree? I guess it depends on the school but with today’s growing enrollment at universities, I am sure you can do part time schooling at almost every universities now whether it’s 8 AM or 8PM classes. And online courses? I’ve never had one myself but I heard they can be quite effective and more flexible to working man’s schedule or distance but they might require more discipline. Yes, definitely call the counselor. Sometimes it feels like they don’t answer your questions correctly and it gets frustrating - but I’m sure they know more than you or me. And I’m sure your company will pay for it so that’s even better! I say come to Dallas and we can go to classes together so you can tutor me.

Chitasan - UT Dallas just announced a new MS - Finance program (starts this year) concentrating in financial engineering. I’m not sure if this is exactly what you want, but it seems like a solid curriculum that will allow you to stay in Dallas and not drain your bank account. Core Courses are: Investment Management Fixed Income Securities and their derivatives Options and Futures Markets Mathematical Finance Numerical Methods in Finance Statistics for Exonomists Applied Econometrics and Time Series Analysis Theory of Finance

Good to know! I was looking at the website earlier but didn’t see that. Has anyone ever heard anything about UDallas? I’ve lived here all my life but have never heard much about it. That’s probably a sign.