2nd Bachelors?

I majored in Actuarial Math for my Bachelors. Not really sure why you are asking this question on a CFA forum. random. But regardless… have you checked to see if you even need a degree in math to take the actuarial exams? why not just buy some text books, start studying, and sit for the first exam. See what happens. I think its on stats/probability and a little Calc (or at least it used to be). Honestly, you’ve got to be of a particular personality type to be an actuary. I realized before I was done w/ my program that I didn’t want to get into it, but figured having a math background would help me out so i stuck w/ the program… I honestly think a 2nd bachlors is a waste of money. I think the 2nd or 3rd exam includes some Econ… you’d prob ace that w/ your eyes closed.

Thanks to one of the posters, I am looking into getting in UTDallas for MS Finance. I wasn’t thinking of getting another bachelors to vamp up resume. I’ve always had a thing for math and statistics. I figured it would help too since I hope to enter the financial field. And if I were to go that route, I would go full time and do it better this time around to get the most out of it. But it looks like after some consideration, I probably won’t. I’ve always known that I want more than just a bachelors degree. I don’t know why but I guess I’m a big believer in education and of course wanting to go furthur with my career that I don’t have yet. But for sure, the Masters of Econ doesn’t interest me as much as some of the others.

nolabird32 - I wasn’t going to do it to get into the actuarial career, that just seems extremely boring. But I heard those exams were much more complex than CFA exams. I post up questions like these so I can get sound advice and it worked, nothing’s wrong with that.

You live near Katy Trail I bet. Dallas is definitely the social scene of north Texas, although I bet it doesn’t compare to New York. I worked at Nobu, off of Maple and McKinney. You’re definitely in the right spot cause it’s the more affluent part besides Highland Park. Victory Park is very nice too, lots of development there. That’s the cool thing, you can get the busy more fast track lifestyle and then walk or drive a few miles and you can do a lot of outdoors/suburbs activities. And I think Texans do have more friendly personalities, although there are always exceptions. Worst part is just the humidity and heat. And some people complain you gotta drive to get anywhere. When I do move back to Texas in the next couple of weeks, I hope to live in Dallas. It’s growing and I think more people are understanding that Texas isn’t all cowboys and ranches. I went to school in Arlington but dining, shopping, and socializing usually happened in Dallas or Addison for me. And working there for a year allowed me to know most of Dallas pretty well cause I liked to drive around and waste expensive gas. Go eat at the French Room.

If you’re not interested in becoming an actuary, then getting another bachelors in actuarial math doesn’t really make that much sense (I’m really not trying to be a smart ars…) Numi is right on… maybe it would be helpful if you give us an idea of your career goals. Do you want to be a quant analyst? If you’re just interested in Math as a sort of hobby (like learning languages are to some people) and not as a way to get ahead in your career, then I guess its up to you if you want to spend the tuition $$ or not.

And yes, you’re in the more materialistic part of Dallas too since there’s more $$$. And those that don’t have it will pretend they got it too.

nolabird - It was an idea. I wanted to consider my options and I figured since I want to go back to school anyway, I just included it in. And acturial math was open to statistics too which I thoroughly enjoyed since I took 3 courses as an Econ major. I find the classroom more challenging given the right professors. And I’m not that disciplined enough to do anything on my own. It’s one of those thing where if I pay for it, I would value it more. Hopefully anyway. Well I definitely know that I want to be in the financial field. Quant analysis is one of the top if not the first on my list but I’m not at the point where I know for sure until I try at least a couple of things - which I haven’t been able to because of the market and my lack of experience. People change, things change so I am not willing to commit to one specific career choice until I learn my options. But you guys are a better help than my biased family/friends.

Definitely do a masters instead. It is not just content, but level and depth of understanding that is important. A masters in mathematical economics or even just statistics will be more valuable than a 2nd bachelors.

chitasan- if I remember correctly- didn’t you just graduate and don’t you basically have no real work experience?? I think it might be mistake to just go straight back to school w/out first testing the career waters a bit. You should at least get an idea of what it is that you will enjoy in “real ife” (as opposed to your preconceived notions of different career paths). This forum is full of ppl trying to shift career paths, even those who have the so-called “dream jobs” find that they are not a fit. I also sometimes find myself feeling like I’d be happiest just going to school for the rest of my life- learning about all of the various subjects I have interests in, but you really got to buckle down and figure out where you want to go w/ your career and I personally think thats not possible if you’ve never had a job (not referring to waitressing, etc.- even though I probably made more $ doing that). Don’t give up on the job search just yet. I’m in dallas too- are you looking for positions here?

Well I am hoping to work given the chance. If not, I will look for something to get by. Believe me, if I could I would be working like everyone else. I am looking and I spend at least an hour everyday applying for jobs. It hasn’t been long since I graduated but I am getting worn out, restless, and feeling very down as I’m sure many of you have sometime in your life trying to look for a job. But I haven’t given up or thought aboutdiverging. I am just making added plans that I would eventually. And I have been offered jobs that I have rejected because it didn’t fit my career plan. I don’t want to start at a place or industry where I know I will leave. Yes, I am looking for entry level job and most of what I know is waitressing, like you did. I can’t see myself not going to school even at least part time or learning or doing something similar to improve myself at least. At least for the time being I have the level 1 exam to keep myself busy. And I already miss school, sadly. Maybe I’m just not used to not going to school. I went every semester allowed: summer, maymester, wintermester. I wasn’t the greatest student academically, but I did what I could while working nights and weekends. And at this point, I am privileged enough to be able to go to school full time, financially, so it is something for me to think about. Cause in a few years, I might not have that anymore or have been out of the school thing so long I don’t wanna go back. But when I have idle time like I do now since I haven’t worked or been in school for 3 months, my mind idles - thus the creation of this thread. Yes, I am looking for jobs in Dallas. If I do go back, it would be a Masters. So everybody, relax.

youre being stubborn.

balls…

chitasan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You live near Katy Trail I bet. > > Dallas is definitely the social scene of north > Texas, although I bet it doesn’t compare to New > York. I worked at Nobu, off of Maple and > McKinney. You’re definitely in the right spot > cause it’s the more affluent part besides Highland > Park. Victory Park is very nice too, lots of > development there. That’s the cool thing, you can > get the busy more fast track lifestyle and then > walk or drive a few miles and you can do a lot of > outdoors/suburbs activities. And I think Texans > do have more friendly personalities, although > there are always exceptions. Worst part is just > the humidity and heat. And some people complain > you gotta drive to get anywhere. > > When I do move back to Texas in the next couple of > weeks, I hope to live in Dallas. It’s growing and > I think more people are understanding that Texas > isn’t all cowboys and ranches. I went to school > in Arlington but dining, shopping, and socializing > usually happened in Dallas or Addison for me. And > working there for a year allowed me to know most > of Dallas pretty well cause I liked to drive > around and waste expensive gas. > > Go eat at the French Room. Yeah, I actually live pretty close to Katy Trail – probably about half a mile or so. I’m renting a one-bedroom apartment in one of the newer high-rises. It’s pretty new and is supposed to be pretty nice, but the cost of rent here is so reasonable compared to New York so I’m excited about that. I’d estimate that a comparable apartment in New York based on amenities and space would run me 3x as much. I guess I didn’t realize how expensive New York really was until I actually moved out. Did you go to UT-Arlington? How did you like it there? Also, what’s the social scene like in Addison compared to Uptown? As I mentioned earlier, I usually hang out in Uptown or Victory Park but would definitely like to branch out. I see a lot of people here trying too hard to make an impression and would just like to check out some places that are more chill. In my view, “yuppie” is fine but pretentious is not. Anyway, I’m actually heading to Addison this evening to meet with some of my former classmates so maybe I’ll get a taste of what the place is like. How was Nobu by the way? Was it fun working there, or was it pretty hectic? The one in New York is good, but it’s much more of a corporate atmosphere than anything else. You don’t see people there going out on dates or leisure so much as you do with business meetings. The one in South Beach is like a huge party, and a bit over the top – there were dudes in wifebeaters and sunglasses during dinnertime when I was there. Must be a Florida thing. Anyway, the times I ever went to Nobu were for business-related stuff, so I was wondering if it’d be the same down here or if it’s actually a little more casual. Anyway, good luck with the job search and the move…not sure I can offer that many useful tips since I haven’t been in Texas long enough, but there seem to be a number of DFW residents here such as akanska who might be able to point you in the right direction.

Just out of curiosity, are the majority of finance jobs in Texas in the Dallas area? Or are there some in Austin, Houston, or San antonio?

I don’t hear of there being many in San Antonio, but there are a lot in Dallas and Houston. A lot of the energy and commodity shops are in Houston. Both Dallas and Houston have offices for many of the investment banks, though I believe Dallas does have a greater concentration of hedge funds and private equity firms.

chitasan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well I am hoping to work given the chance. If > not, I will look for something to get by. > Believe me, if I could I would be working like > everyone else. I am looking and I spend at least > an hour everyday applying for jobs. It hasn’t > been long since I graduated but I am getting worn > out, restless, and feeling very down as I’m sure > many of you have sometime in your life trying to > look for a job. But I haven’t given up or > thought aboutdiverging. I am just making added > plans that I would eventually. And I have been > offered jobs that I have rejected because it > didn’t fit my career plan. I don’t want to start > at a place or industry where I know I will leave. > > > Yes, I am looking for entry level job and most of > what I know is waitressing, like you did. > I can’t see myself not going to school even at > least part time or learning or doing something > similar to improve myself at least. At least for > the time being I have the level 1 exam to keep > myself busy. And I already miss school, sadly. > Maybe I’m just not used to not going to school. I > went every semester allowed: summer, maymester, > wintermester. I wasn’t the greatest student > academically, but I did what I could while working > nights and weekends. When i graduated, it was post 9/11 and post dot com crash… jobs were scarse. i worked a couple months at a temp agency until i was able to land something i wanted. just a thought… might keep you occupied. > If I do go back, it would be a Masters. So > everybody, relax. LOL. isn’t the subject “2nd Bachelors?”

nolabird: Well all topics evolve!! Yes, I have checked out temp agencies but they seem to look for at least a relative amount of experience. I might have better luck if once I get to Texas I try these job hunts in person. numi: The social scene in Addison is not as big as uptown of Victory Park. It’s mostly concentrated on Beltline and the Tollway. I guess in comparison, it is more casual and relaxed; more yuppie than pretentious. There is a good amount of businesses and hotels there since it’s between Frisco/Plano and the downtown Dallas so you can definitely expect a lot of business dinners in restaurants. Yes, I went to UTArlington. It has a good accounting, nursing, architecture, and engineering programs. The accounting program is supposed to be one of the top in Texas. Otherwise, it is mostly a commuter school and relatively cheap - but like all universities can still break bank accounts. I always wished I would’ve ventured out to a different school. Arlington is just a regular suburb but at least it is not a hick town and can do a lot for you if you’re not into Dallas culture. Being between Dallas and Fort Worth helps its appeal. The Nobu here is different and more casual. It is not that big of a party scene like it is in Miami except for rare nights where parties are promoted (my old manager who worked in Miami too told me that his female co managers would sometimes wear bikinis and short skirts at work). There is usually only a small amount of business dinners there since Dallas has the highest amount of restaurants per capita, they have a million of other options. Business men from the Crescent and neighboring buildings coming in after a long day of work to get buzzed and/or wait for potential eye candy or pros, yes. I hostessed there and a lot of people from New York would tell me that Dallas Nobu is much more friendlier and relaxed. Apparently, in NY hostesses are not supposed to smile and give a damn about the guests unless they’re Brad Pitt? The food is good and very different from anything I’ve ever seen but prices are a bit much - even though I spoiled myself there all the time. That’s also another reason Nobu is different and not as busy as most other Nobus, the average person in Dallas is not willing to shell out that much for dinner (100 min a person if you wanna be satisfied, drinks not included). So mostly, you get the more affluent customers, business people who can charge write-offs on their Amex, or dates, parties, and special occasions. After working there, my love of sushi has developed. I went to NYC last Winter. Boy, I don’t think I can ever afford to live there. But I can definitely see myself being there with the fast pace.

chitasan: I recieved my bachelors in finance from UTD in 2005, the first class to which they awarded undergraduate finance degrees. This is the first time I have heard of them offering a masters in finance. One of my reasons for not wanting to complete an MBA there was that the content was pretty much what I took at the undergraduate level, but a bit more difficult. This curriculum looks like it would actually build on the finance undergraduate, and the CFA track…that is a good direction. Looking at the content of the new degree it looks like it will be good. I studied for the CFA exam but decided a bit more work experience would be more beneficial for me at this time. If you like Math you will love studying finance. I would encourage you to go to the campus and take a look. It is similiar but different than UTA. They were started a research university and the feel of the place is still a research university. THe management building is new and I really think they are going places. There are some really good professors there. Should you ever see a class taught by Peter Lewin http://www.utdallas.edu/~plewin/ take the class. There are some other professors who are great also. It is a good school, not NYU or Univ of Chicago, but solid and is ranked, a great value for the money. Texas instruments helped to get the university off the ground and still contributes quite a bit. Take a look you’ll like it. I think I read enrollment had doubled in 7 years at the business school. Like UTA it is mainly a commuter university, though there is quite a large population who live on campus, very diverse, lots of foreign students. I do not live in Dallas any longer or else I might look at the Master in Finance myself. I am working at a regional bank in commercial credit. If you like Sushi…be sure to go to Steel in uptown over on Welborn, near Oaklawn. One of my best friends, Jeff, was the sushi chef there before he opened the Steel in Atlanta…incredible sushi, the Head sushi chef now is Daniel who will take care of you also. Kinda pricey but I think they still have Wednesday happy hour sushi specials. A typical rich place but is very nice. The staff can make decent moeny also. And be sure to check out Carsons on the tollway near Addison, and Sherlocks too.

I tried Steel a couple of years ago. Don’t remember what it’s like but it can often be a social scene. Carsons is good. And I love Sherlocks, the one in Arlington anyway. I got kicked out last time I was there for my graduation semi celebration. =) Yeah, I know UTD is relatively new compared to UTA or the other schools in UT system. But it is in a good location and lots of high tech businesses are there. Their 3 Masters of Finance programs look promising and challenging. Definitely looking to apply.

stop wasting time!!! Make sure you are well read. Read business week, HBR and other sources regularly…youd be surprised how much you can know. No one cares if you have 2 bachelors. Its not going to make you perform better in grad school. Work on your GMAT, get into a good MBA program, get in and get out into the job market. Experience is important career wise. EMployers dont care if you sounded good in in grad school.

Hey chitasan – it sounds like Arlington is a pretty good place to be. It’s a bit of a travel from Dallas, but I hear the cost of living is much better, and if you like the suburbs, that’s a good place to be. A couple of my friends just moved there from California and they work in downtown Dallas now, but just bought a house in Arlington. They like the area a lot. It sounds like I’ll have to go check out the Nobu down here sometime. Any chance you can get me some employee discounts? They might still cut you some slack since you worked there, right? :slight_smile: The Nobu in New York is definitely pretty corporate and not the place I go to for leisure occasions. I really enjoy sushi, but fortunately there are many other great places in New York for that. From what people tell me, there’s quite a bit down here too. Last weekend when I was in Victory Park, I passed by a restaurant called Kenichi. Some people really like it, but I’ve gotten mixed reviews from others. Seemed to be pretty trendy, but I don’t know how good the food is there. Have you been there? I’ve been to Steel and I like it there. It’s pretty trendy, and the food is pretty good. On the weekends, there are a lot of people there on dates; on the two weeknights I’ve been there, I’ve seen quite a few older women there. No idea if they were single or not; I’m thinking they were MBA’s (“married but available”) if that makes sense. From what I gather, there’s actually a lot of that going on down here? In fact, I was just in Addison yesterday with a couple of college buddies, and there were quite a few ladies in their 30-somethings by the bar area as well. Not that there’s anything wrong with that – I guess what’s been surprising is that they’re a lot more proactive and outgoing than New York women, if you know what I mean. I wonder if it’s a Texas thing?