39pct pass rate

The 39pct pass rate includes the 20pct or so of no shows right? If so then the pass rate of people who actually sat the exam is more like 50pct. Quite high if you ask me.

It doesn’t include no shows. Not only does it not include no shows, but it also doesn’t include people who sat for the morning and didn’t show up for the afternoon.

No. It includes only the people who sat and wrote both morning and afternoon session. prossetti is right.

if you do not sit for the exam, it does not count in the average

It’s been said a few times on AF that the 39% doesn’t include no shows. It only includes those who write BOTH the morning and aft sessions. I know, seems unbelievable to me…

lol

So what do we think is the overall pass rate of registered candidates? 20/25%?

actually, having seen how unprepared most people are at the day of the exam, I think 39% is about right…

Agreed, seems insane though… At least 20% must know they’re going in underprepared/having a snowball’s chance in hell…

if we estimate 30k registrants and 25pct no show/no finish, we have about 22500 who count. 39pct is about 8600 pass. so about 28pct overall passrate. (hope the math is right,doin this all in my head on the train to work)

seriously, I overheard the group that was sitting next to me at lunch how they finished reading the book 5 of schweser (I didn’t use schweser for L1, but I’d assume its on a combination of fixed income, derivative and alternative investment) just the night before the exam, and didn’t sleep until 4am…if I were them, I wouldn’t just slept in and forget it… and there was a girl sitting behind me in the exam room, she was talking to the guy next to her and she said she’s never heard of anyone who passed L1 on their first try…I guess she doesn’t google much or went to the wrong forum…

doworkson Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Agreed, seems insane though… > > At least 20% must know they’re going in > underprepared/having a snowball’s chance in > hell… that was certainly me, but I looked at it as practice. never understood those who just didn’t show! sure, it’s not how you’d like to spend the day (suffering through an exam you know you will fail), but it’s great practice and you PAID for it.

I concur. liaaba Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > actually, having seen how unprepared most people > are at the day of the exam, I think 39% is about > right…

I know what you mean. I know a few people who enrolled and then just found they didnt have time to write it due to work load at a new job, or other legit reasons and decided not to go. But maybe it’s better to write it after you study so you can possibly say you passed it on your first try. Will_R256 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > doworkson Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Agreed, seems insane though… > > > > At least 20% must know they’re going in > > underprepared/having a snowball’s chance in > > hell… > > > that was certainly me, but I looked at it as > practice. never understood those who just didn’t > show! sure, it’s not how you’d like to spend the > day (suffering through an exam you know you will > fail), but it’s great practice and you PAID for > it.

I worked for a firm that paid for exam registration and prep, and gave 5 xtra days off to study, etc. to people who enrolled. This was regardless of passing… so understandably quite a few ppl signed up w/ out the dedication and investment that many on this site have. It was common for people to just call it quits and not really put in the time- probably more than 50%… the only consequence was a kink in reputation. I don’t know how many firms follow this same practice.

wow 5 days and paid for the exam? Thats like a free vacation with no consequences.

I’d feel like a tool if my firm went to those lengths for me and that’s how I repaid the generosity. Reputation is approx all you’ve got in the end, I busted my ass for LI and I’ll go even harder for LII, because at this point I’m trying to build my rep not put asterisks on it. I also prefer to spend my time doing the opposite of studying, why would anyone want to waste they’re time and not put in their best efforts?! Alot of things can happen in life that can reasonably affect your performance on an exam; taking advantage of your employer making its best efforts to support your own personal development isn’t a reason that I respect at all. My firm will pay for my exams, if i pass, no prep whatsoever. I could only dream of time off. I guess I shouldn’t discourage those views; they keep alot of active AF members, on the right side of the pass rate.

Well, there are people who don’t need to know their stuff to be successful. We don’t have their talent and luck, that’s why we have to take this route.

LongOnCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > wow 5 days and paid for the exam? Thats like a > free vacation with no consequences. Truth, if you look at it like that. It’s like the firm’s encouraging people to take advantage.

after the exam, I was in the elevator with about 20 people, and at least 8 of them looked like they had just been kicked in the crotch, and then immediatly punched in the face. I think a lot of folks underestimate it their first time.