A price for failure?

When I was checking out the CFAI website for the exam ticket, I noticed that there is an option to withdraw from the test a month beforehand. This may seem like a dumb question, but I’m wondering because I’d like to know if failure has any real-life consequences other than those of a purely psychological or motivational nature. Why would anyone want to do that, even if they failed? (They could always take it again and do better, right?) Other than for just pure ego alone, is there a stigma or implied cost to not passing the first time?

i suppose if you work around other highly competitive people with CFA charters, they might look down on you if you fail (not that I condone, but I’m just thinking of a hypothetical situation) anyways, the price of success is steep : )

That’s weird. I signed up for L2 in October sometime of 2007 and never sat for the exam. I guess technically I failed L2…not sure why it really matters. I guess psychological. I just wish you could get a g-damn refund within, say, 30 days of signing up if you are more than 6 months out. I quite literally pissed away $600 for absolutely zero reason whatsoever.

I guess the refund is more related to the fact that you can sign up again for the next level as soon as this is possible; now it will not be possible to sign up again (should one want to) until the results have been released even though you may never even have been at the exam. I start to think that there are quite a few who will need more than one year to prepare properly for Level II and, indeed, there seem to be one or two retakers around, lurking on the boards. Maybe we didn’t “piss away $600”, maybe we rather should see it as if the price for some of us is $1200 since we need more than one year to prepare… With a full time job and other interests, and the reading material being what it is, I know I for one couldn’t have put down all that much more effort than I have done already. Not without this studying becoming an absurdly nerdish 100% time consuming obsession anyway.

If you withdrew, you can promptly register for the dec exam, if you don’t withdrew the earliest you can register for Dec exam is in August (2 months after the exam took place)

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That’s weird. I signed up for L2 in October > sometime of 2007 and never sat for the exam. I > guess technically I failed L2…not sure why it > really matters. I guess psychological. I just wish > you could get a g-damn refund within, say, 30 days > of signing up if you are more than 6 months out. I > quite literally pissed away $600 for absolutely > zero reason whatsoever. Hey kkent, Just wondering why you discontinued your pursuit of the charter?

king_kong Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey kkent, Just wondering why you discontinued > your pursuit of the charter? too many liberals pursuing the charter, lol

Not monetary… just the wasted time and effort of cramming. I would pay $3000 to pass this exam… that’s how much my time and effort is worth to me. Fark… so much to memorize for L2!

i bid 10k…10,000 I’d pay!

kkent didn’t take the test? This is the guy that spent his undergrad years studying instead of socializing and took level I in college? Did he finally realize there was more to life??

Ummm, excuse me? I took L1 in June right after my senior year. I graduated in December 2006 technically, but took a BS course to stay in school and have fun with my friends. I spent maaaybe 90 minutes a day, 5 days a week, studying for the CFA exam, coupled with one class during my final semester in college. Consistency–90 minutes a day consistently for 5-6 months adds up coupled with a degree in finance. BTW, I was in a fraternity and partied hard for my first year and a half in school. Getting drunk 2-3 nights a week gets old fast. I had better times hanging out, hiking, and doing clean stuff with my friends my final 2-2.5 years. To the question, I dropped out because the CFA charter isn’t particularly relevant to commercial real estate valuation or finance.

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ummm, excuse me? I took L1 in June right after my > senior year. I graduated in December 2006 > technically, but took a BS course to stay in > school and have fun with my friends. I spent > maaaybe 90 minutes a day, 5 days a week, studying > for the CFA exam, coupled with one class during my > final semester in college. Consistency–90 minutes > a day consistently for 5-6 months adds up coupled > with a degree in finance. > > BTW, I was in a fraternity and partied hard for my > first year and a half in school. Getting drunk 2-3 > nights a week gets old fast. I had better times > hanging out, hiking, and doing clean stuff with my > friends my final 2-2.5 years. > > To the question, I dropped out because the CFA > charter isn’t particularly relevant to commercial > real estate valuation or finance. LOL. Failure is no reason to give up. The real “failure” is if people spend all that time / money / effort and *then* “p1$$ it away” without trying. IMHO, kkent: your first 2 paragraphs do a wonderful job explaining the third…

Dude, who the f*ck are you and why are you attacking me? I’m not putting anyone down–all I said was that I–as in ME–pissed away $600 by signing up for L2 and then dropping the program something like 3 weeks later. How the hell do you get personally offended by this, enough to start attacking me??? Gesus phuking krist.

Kkent wrote: >Getting drunk > 2-3 > > nights a week gets old fast. If you’re doing it for a year and a half in a frat maybe…with work the way it is right now, it would be awesome to be able to get drunk twice a week…mmmm, beer.

KKent, I’m not attacking you but the fact is any kind of “rational” valuation like you would’ve learned in the CFA program isn’t relative to real estate. Oooh let’s do comps. Some dumbass spending free gov’t money that he’ll never be able to pay back bought that property for X amount so this property here is worth at least 2x amount. That’s real estate valuation.

Yeah, you’re right. That’s how it is.

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > To the question, I dropped out because the CFA > charter isn’t particularly relevant to commercial > real estate valuation or finance. So it is not even relevant to finance ? hmmm I remember when you dropped out you wrote something close to : " I realized that I do not have the brain to work as an analyst" … not sure of the exact words, but you got the point.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > kkent Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > To the question, I dropped out because the CFA > > charter isn’t particularly relevant to > commercial > > real estate valuation or finance. > > So it is not even relevant to finance ? hmmm > > I remember when you dropped out you wrote > something close to : " I realized that I do not > have the brain to work as an analyst" … not sure > of the exact words, but you got the point. Reading comprehension, jackass. That’s commercial real estate finance as the context of the rest of the thread clearly states.

hahaha

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > kkent Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > > > To the question, I dropped out because the > CFA > > > charter isn’t particularly relevant to > > commercial > > > real estate valuation or finance. > > > > So it is not even relevant to finance ? hmmm > > > > I remember when you dropped out you wrote > > something close to : " I realized that I do not > > have the brain to work as an analyst" … not > sure > > of the exact words, but you got the point. > > > Reading comprehension, jackass. That’s commercial > real estate finance as the context of the rest of > the thread clearly states. You are the real jackass. I remember you saying that “you are average” and “went to a state university and scored low to average GPA”. Nothing wrong with that - except that you do not have to berate a qualification you are not capable, able or willing to pursue.