Actual Exam Day

Of the 240 questions on the actual exam, does anyone know whether the questions are combined. For example: Will a macroeconomics question be combined with a corporate finance question? In addition, I assume that microeconomics is also on the exam (the candidate body of knowledge isted on CFAI’s site seems to focus on macro).

The questions aren’t combined. The questions are split up by sections where you might see questions 1-15 as ethics, 16-28 as Quant, etc. If it is listed in the LOS then it is fair game for the exam. Although the LOS may focus on Macro, if there are any LOS’s on Micro then you just may see some questions on it.

Thanks TMurf. Therefore I should expect to see the questions grouped by section (ex: ethics, quant) and should expect the grouping to be in the same order as the candidate body of knowledge. This would mean that the portfolio manager questions would be at the end.

Would anyone else like to add to this thread??

NYLS Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks TMurf. > > Therefore I should expect to see the questions > grouped by section (ex: ethics, quant) and should > expect the grouping to be in the same order as the > candidate body of knowledge. This would mean that > the portfolio manager questions would be at the > end. Yes. You do Ethics questions first, then quant and finish with PM questions. At least that is how they are numbered, you can of course start with any section you want.

Yes…as a LIIer…I confirm that all of the questions are separated by category and are for the most part in order (ethics, then Quant…and PM at the end)…you will have questions from all sections in both seatings of the exam. Other items to note: 1) Expect more security than at the airport (except no metal detectors) 2) Leave ALL Belongings in your car 3) Do not write on your admin ticket…if you get a pen mark on it…reprint it (have an extra one)… 4) Bring an extra calculator in case your battery runs out 5) Expect one large room for all of the test takers…there were over 1500 in one room in DC last year 6) bring a watch to monitor time

Nice input jasonindc… Thanks

How does one account for lunch? Should one bring one or is that an item to be left in the car?

I would say leave it in the car… you have plenty of time to get to your car, eat, nap, and eat again before teh afternoon test. My test center has lockers that are generally empty because the exam is not during the school year, so i was able to stash my stuff right beside my test room. So venture to your test center a couple days before the test so you can get a feel of the area and the room you’ll be writing in.

Is the “admin ticket” the email the CFAI sent after registration? Or is it something else? Also, I am taking test in NYC, but the exact location was not indicated. Does anyone know where in the city the exam is held? Thanks.

the admin ticket is a piece of paper that actually says exam ticket on it. they haven’t sent it out yet. we’ll all be getting an e-mail soon enough confirming test center location and availability of these tickets.

May one bring a bottle of water?

Good question analiticar. I was wondering if we could bring water also. 3 hrs is a long time.

To add to my experience…last year the DC test center was the Dulles Expo center…regarding basic necessities 1) Water-you could not have bottles…however in the back of the room they had large jugs with cups so you could help yourself to water…could not bring it back to your seat. 2) Bathrooms were there as well…just have to raise you hand and the proctor comes to your desk, takes your test and admission ticket…then you take your ID (which you leave on the table during the test)…and then you show it to get your test and ticket back (they think of everything). 3) Pack your lunch and leave in the car…figure if there are 3-5 fast food places…you only have 1 hour to get from the test center to your car…get to the food place…eat… drive back and repark.

are any of the exam questions multiple part questions?

agree with jason…from cfa web site on FAQ’s Why are candidates not permitted to have water at their tables during the exam? Candidates are not permitted to have drink containers in the testing room because, in the past, exam answer books and answer sheets have been damaged as a result of spills. This potential problem is made worse by the fact that candidates typically share tables with other candidates. Water stations are provided in the testing rooms at convention halls/exhibition centers and drinking fountains are accessible to candidates during the exams at universities/schools. No multiple part questions on exam either.

regarding multiple parts…it is possible…they may give you a FSA question for instance and you may have to answer 2-5 questions (calculating ratio’s etc…) from the data. But you should not have to base your answer to part 2 on an answer to part 1 (i.e…you won’t be penalized for getting the first part wrong and then applying incorrect data to the second question. They also like to give the following type (common in Econ and FSA) Statement 1: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Statement 2: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Choices a) both are correct b) both are incorrect c) 1 is correct, 2 is incorrect d) 2 is correct, 1 is incorrect This way they test two concepts with one questions (and assume in a lot of cases that you know one so you get put in a 50-50 situation).

thanks jasonindc

Is it allowed to bring the calculator manual to the exam?

analiticar Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is it allowed to bring the calculator manual to > the exam? is not allowed