Advice for 5-year career plan

Hey folks… I have been trying to figure out where to set my aim, and I think you guys might be able to help me figure out where I should be looking. I have an undergrad in accounting, spent 9 years working in accounting roles. In 2004, I completed my MBA with a concentration in Finance. For 2.5 years, I worked for a billion dollar privately held (LLC) holding company under the title of “Financial Analyst”, building the consolidated financial statements (BS, P&L, Cash Flows) for presentation to the BOD and banks. I left that role for my current position of one year, also titled as “Financial Analyst”, with a 4 billion dollar international holding company, analyzing and breaking out internal charges on a large outsourcing contract, and performing monthly analysis on the monthly results for a handful of their internal cost centers. I am making the high end of mid-five’s, and after a few false starts, have set my eyes on getting through the CFA program. I plan to stay with my current employer at least until I get through Level I, and probably Level II. My thought is that while I have not worked in the investment world, my experience in Operations and the construction of FS should be helpful once I make the leap. Any advice on where I should be looking for a next step?

Bump…wow…no one has any advice? Guess I’m screwed, eh? :wink:

bump…wonder whatever happen to this chap

He is dead.

Given that this was written in 2007, this dude is like 40 years old…

high end of mid 5’s… wow, had to think about that for a second. Think he was making 70k? I love how peeps give clues like: top-20 business school in either NY, MA or CA. Also a Yankees fan and would never move more than 5 miles from them. Saw the Olsen twins yesterday in class. Sorry I can’t be more specific about the school but I could get discovered.

being over 30 years old, with over 9years of experience and can’t break into a 6 figure salary? note to self: accounting sucks balls.

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > being over 30 years old, with over 9years of > experience and can’t break into a 6 figure > salary? > > note to self: accounting sucks balls. word is bond

If dude was Big 4 he should have been making 100k+ after 10 years in accounting and then switching to industry. note to self: sucky accounting career sucks balls

Guy should be on high 7s. Everything else is failure.

I’ll bet twenty lakhs he’s Indian. 50-60k is good change here.

his name is Greg Coyle, doesnt sound Indian to me.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/gregcoyle

Step 1: Cut a hole in a box

Still there. Shame for him on that front, but as long as he is getting paid decently & is happy enough, fair play.

Wait, how do you know his name? wake2000 = Greg?

A good example of why those 2nd tier MBAs are very hit or miss. I’ve heard it’s especially tough in this case, as there are plenty of Booth and Kellogg grads to take the good jobs.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wait, how do you know his name? wake2000 = Greg? click on the username numbnuts

I see. I assumed that no one would actually put their real name there…

Funny how the guy didn’t get any responses when needed almost four years ago, and now his thread is reaching 20+ posts.