Advice

I am a software engineer trying to break into the finance industry. I am 29 years old. My plan is to work at a mutual fund for a few years as a mutual fund analyst and then start my own investing company. I intend to look for a mutual fund analyst job after giving my CFA. I love analyzing stocks and investing. Please let me know if this is practical and if so what carrier path and courses should I take to accomplish the same. Thanks

Hmm… I smell werk…

Why do you want to move into an area that is bleeding? Do you have any idea what you are trying to do?

My plan is to become a hedge fund manager and making $10 million a year. I love stocks and investing too. Maybe I’ll do that after I win the World Series with the Yankees.

you guys are horrible. he’s asking for advice and you’re being cynical and of course sarcastic! >=P

What are you wearing?

Go look at the paint dry John!!! and keep to the topic before Chad banned ur crazy (_Y_)!!!

Mona8835 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you guys are horrible. he’s asking for advice and > you’re being cynical and of course sarcastic! >=P I think JTLD was serious about the world series part.

Mona8835 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Go look at the paint dry John!!! and keep to the > topic before Chad banned ur crazy (_Y_)!!! She’s putty in your hands.

don’t encourage his insanity brian!

You have a long road ahead of you but its not impossible. First things first, are you registered for any CFA exams? This may be a good test of your conviction for pursuing your goals and will teach you some basic stuff and maybe focus your attention on a particular area of interest. Obviously, you are going to need to get your foot in the door at an asset manager and it is hyper-competive (even in normal times) and many people your age will likely have an experience, credential and network edge over you. It will be a ton of work for sure and will require sacrifices and a bit of good luck.

JustPass Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You have a long road ahead of you but its not > impossible. First things first, are you > registered for any CFA exams? This may be a good > test of your conviction for pursuing your goals > and will teach you some basic stuff and maybe > focus your attention on a particular area of > interest. Obviously, you are going to need to get > your foot in the door at an asset manager and it > is hyper-competive (even in normal times) and many > people your age will likely have an experience, > credential and network edge over you. It will be > a ton of work for sure and will require sacrifices > and a bit of good luck. (((Applaud)))

If you really want to pursue this career then network like crazy and get a CFA and/or a top ten MBA. The real question is why in the world would you want to do this? The way the market is right now you have an extremely tough road to travel. I’d be careful you have to at least prepare for the possibility that you’ll spend 5 years of your life working for something that you’ll never get. All the while neglecting an awesome career where you actually get to build/create things and get paid a $hit load of money to do it.

Mona8835 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Go look at the paint dry John!!! and keep to the > topic before Chad banned ur crazy (_Y_)!!! Is that how yours looks like?

go hit on Karen.

im gonna puke right about now

i’m with you. pass the bucket once you’re done.

I think you should transition by obtaining an MBA. Alot of people do it that way, and they are all old like you.

abdullasm Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am a software engineer trying to break into the > finance industry. I am 29 years old. My plan is to > work at a mutual fund for a few years as a mutual > fund analyst and then start my own investing > company. I intend to look for a mutual fund > analyst job after giving my CFA. I love analyzing > stocks and investing. > Please let me know if this is practical and if so > what carrier path and courses should I take to > accomplish the same. > > Thanks and Ryan Secrest is straight. yer welcome.

i think asset management is still an essential service. funds will probably start flowing in, in a couple of years.