advise, especially from AMERICANS

I did my BBA at the American University of Beirut. It is not one of those wanabes that simple name themselves “american” It was founded by Americans in 1866, it is registered with the Board of Education in the State of New York, the business school is AACSB accredited, and it is about to become a CFA partner. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_University_of_Beirut#Accreditation I am banned from entering the U.S. for another four years. My long term plan is to live in the U.S., thats where I spent a good part of my teen years… My school is considered the top in the Arab world, and say the top 5 in the region. But I am not sure if employers in the states would know about it… I know in four years I can get into a top US school cause my university is known in the academic world. Most my professors were AUB grads who did their phd at harvard. So to sum it up…Have any of you guys in the US heard of my school. Do you think employers have? And would I be better of holding it off for 4 years

i haven’t, but i’m not an academic. i’m sure their network is stong, however, so i would leverage off of that.

I’ve never heard of it.

ahmadmadoff Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I did my BBA at the American University of > Beirut. > It is not one of those wanabes that simple name > themselves “american” > > It was founded by Americans in 1866, it is > registered with the Board of Education in the > State of New York, the business school is AACSB > accredited, and it is about to become a CFA > partner. > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_University_o > f_Beirut#Accreditation > > I am banned from entering the U.S. for another > four years. My long term plan is to live in the > U.S., thats where I spent a good part of my teen > years… > > My school is considered the top in the Arab world, > and say the top 5 in the region. But I am not sure > if employers in the states would know about it… > > I know in four years I can get into a top US > school cause my university is known in the > academic world. Most my professors were AUB grads > who did their phd at harvard. > > So to sum it up…Have any of you guys in the US > heard of my school. Do you think employers have? > And would I be better of holding it off for 4 > years Only way to find out is to build your resume over that period then apply. Even if your school isn’t known by a recruiter, your diverse background and good letters of recommendation / strong job experience may help you.

ahmadmadoff Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I did my BBA at the American University of > Beirut. > It is not one of those wanabes that simple name > themselves “american” > > It was founded by Americans in 1866, it is > registered with the Board of Education in the > State of New York, the business school is AACSB > accredited, and it is about to become a CFA > partner. > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_University_o > f_Beirut#Accreditation > > I am banned from entering the U.S. for another > four years. My long term plan is to live in the > U.S., thats where I spent a good part of my teen > years… > > My school is considered the top in the Arab world, > and say the top 5 in the region. But I am not sure > if employers in the states would know about it… > > I know in four years I can get into a top US > school cause my university is known in the > academic world. Most my professors were AUB grads > who did their phd at harvard. > > So to sum it up…Have any of you guys in the US > heard of my school. Do you think employers have? > And would I be better of holding it off for 4 > years Why are you banned from coming to the US if you don’t mind me asking?

I’ve heard of it but I have a few persian friends.

> Why are you banned from coming to the US if you > don’t mind me asking? overstayed my visa at the time. now my priority date for greencard is current, but i cant get it till i been out of the US for total of ten years… kinda blows, i am beggining to revert back to the arabic-english accent that tells the investment bank, i am here to blow up the bank, rather than i am here to make you money… how is the US with races/profilin… i been out for 5 years, when i was there it was not bad even for a middle eastern, but then again i was young, and young people tend not to care…

ahmadmadoff Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Why are you banned from coming to the US if you > > don’t mind me asking? > > overstayed my visa at the time. now my priority > date for greencard is current, but i cant get it > till i been out of the US for total of ten > years… > > kinda blows, i am beggining to revert back to the > arabic-english accent that tells the investment > bank, i am here to blow up the bank, rather than i > am here to make you money… > > how is the US with races/profilin… i been out > for 5 years, when i was there it was not bad even > for a middle eastern, but then again i was young, > and young people tend not to care… Re: Your overstayed visa: That’s not that bad a situation at all. But you seriously need to figure out a euphemism for “banned” dude. Using that phrase makes me think you were unceremoniously deported and then the president himself explicitly singled you out as someone to be exiled for ten years, probably for something to do with huge amounts of drugs or something illicit involving clowns. Try saying that you won’t be able to apply for a greencard for X yrs due to previously overstaying your work permit or something, but don’t use the word ‘banned’. Re: your university - never ever ever heard of it. Re: Racial profiling - in big cities, much less of a problem. I imagine if you went to smaller towns or got in front of certain people (jerks), it could potentially be a strike against you.

I think it’s important to distinguish between potential employers and university admissions departments when talking about foreign applicants. For employers, foreign academic credentials are almost always a negative - they are just not familiar with universities in other countries. For university admissions, having an international background could be positive or negative, depending on how many people from your country apply to a particular program. I don’t have any knowledge about your particular university though. It might be relevant to examine AUB’s overall record of placing graduates in US graduate programs, rather than just the people who happen to be professors at your university.

I’ve heard of American University, their main campus is in Washington, DC. That’s you best bet to get recognition for your degree, try to land a job in Washington, DC.

lol . Ur right Thanks for the advice guys. I obviously will wait for a larger sample before i decide that going to aub will be shootin myself in the foot, again. Your help is greatly appreciated and tell ur army to stay out of my country. When i leave the shithole u can have it.

You don’t keep much to yourself do you? :slight_smile:

nop, thats how i am About the washington, unfortunatly the two schools r not related.but hey my best chance is to go there, maybe some employer thinks they are

nop, thats how i am About the washington, unfortunatly the two schools r not related.but hey my best chance is to go there, maybe some employer thinks they are

Sign up for an online MBA, UofP (my alma mater) is running a program. BTW that is University of Phoenix, for those not in the know.

sorry if i offend anyone doing an online mba… in my part of the world, people would laugh at you if you have an online mba, after all you can get your chinese friend to take your tests… so apperantly thats not how it is in the US ? if i was to do an online MBA from a US school it would be taken seriously ?

okay, so i looked into it, there seems to be reputable universities offering online programs, so i was wrrong to look down on it… BUT will your degree say that you did it online? i wonder if that brings it back to my previous question of being laughed at…? thanks guys.

ahmadmadoff Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > okay, so i looked into it, there seems to be > reputable universities offering online programs, > so i was wrrong to look down on it… > > BUT will your degree say that you did it online? i > wonder if that brings it back to my previous > question of being laughed at…? > > thanks guys. Dude he was kidding. What you said in your first post (“in my part of the world, people would laugh at you if you have an online mba…”) is very true here. Stop looking online, don’t even waste your time with that.

lol, supersadface, i actually started thinking about it seemed like a back door to getting a top quality education while being outside the US but yeh, something about it smells fishy, but for example duke has a 120k online MBA, people would laught at you ? seems a lot cheaper to buy a clown outfit for $20, lol

American University of [insert random country name] seems pretty common. people may think they’ve heard of it at first cause its such a common name, plus there is AU in DC which is unrelated of course. at least it’s accredited and the degree, gpa etc. is standardized with US educaitonal system i.e you dont have to explain that your Scholar Diplom Rank X2 is equivalent to BA with 3.8 GPA or some crazy $hit like that