AF Bucket List

+1

But do it in another thread. Don’t hijack this one.

Finish the Tevis Cup.

What the Asians call drifting isn’t drifting; it’s sliding. In a true drift the tires aren’t sliding, they’re rolling; it has to do with slip angles and oversteer. Talk to F1 drivers about drifting.

I have to rethink some of this. I’m remarkably happy with things lately, even though I can name a number of ways that things could be better.

I would like to travel a little more

It would be nice if I could work half time and have enough money to be social and travel more, particularly if it means being able to see the people I’d always promised to visit.

I’m really more about having experiences than having things.

Bang my wife smiley

Eat curry with rahul.

Respect.

Interesting? Can you post a youtube showing the two so I can contrast? I thought any handbrake powerover slide around a hairpin turn was a drift.

So did Paul Walker drift or slide into that tree?

I’ll see if I can find a video of a true drift, but I don’t hold out a lot of hope. On the surface, a true drift doesn’t look nearly as exciting as a power slide. (Note: when you’re driving, a true drift is far more exciting than a power slide; it’s like playing chess with the car, whereas a power slide is manhandling the car.)

I have a book entitled “How to Make Your Car Handle” that has a photograph of Jackie Stewart drifting a corner in F1: the car is turning, the tires are rolling (not sliding), and all four wheels are pointed straight ahead.

To understand a drift you have to understand slip angles, and to make a car drift it has to oversteer (i.e., have larger slip angles on the rear tires than on the front tires).

Years ago I got into a “discussion” with my father about drifting. He used to drive an MG special in road races, so that, naturally, made him an expert. When he told me that in a drift the tires are both rolling and sliding, it was impossible (for me) to get him to understand that those two situations are incompatible: rolling tires aren’t sliding, and sliding tires aren’t rolling. Fortunately, the discussion took place in the presence of another former race driver who didn’t have the I’ve-done-it-and-you-haven’t-so-I’m-right-and-you’re-wrong predisposition; he listened to what I said and concluded that I knew what I was talking about.

If there were skid marks, he slid. If not, he may have drifted; you won’t see any ex post facto evidence of a drift.

They still do, it seems a lot harder to enter than before when it was less popular. Pricing has also gone up over the years, they are doing multi country races now. According to their website “The entry fee for the 2014 Event is £40,000 (forty thousand GB pounds) per vehicle containing two (2) people.”

http://www.gumball3000.com/pages/2014_terms

^ Sick. I watched the Teckademics Documentary of the Gumball and it looks epic. Hilarious that the waiver states you must follow all applicable driving laws! Guys in the video were getting 3-4 speeding tickets a day in the rally. Another guy had footage of his GT3 going 202 MPH by a cop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZnNSFizpoE[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZnNSFizpoE]

I get it, so like an indy car which inflates it’s outer tires to more pressure than inner tires to give it the natural ‘drift’ around a oval track.

Is this what they call a thread drift?

Depends: are there skid marks?

Maybe the pros have their own venacular but I haven’t heard the term drifting used in real racing. I’m flipping through Ultimate Speed Secrets, a book that has been on my night stand for about a month, unread, and they don’t mention drifting at all. They do mention slip angles under the race car dynamics chapter though.

Here’s a Slip angle video for those interested.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxGrwu0wqv8]

I’ve been trying to learn that for a while now at the karting track but it’s very hard with the tires changing temps every lap.

Get my private pilot license, (re) learn guitar, get CFA, travel to at least 5 of the 7 continents.

Last year I celebrated passing L1 with a tandem skydive. Very awesome but hard to top in terms of adrenaline. I don’t what to do this year if I pass L2, any suggestions?

Pamplona?

I don’t get it. A couple of people mentioned skydiving. Why don’t you just do it? It’s like $200, and maybe an hour’s drive from pretty much anywhere. What are you waiting for?

On my bucket list:

1. My dad has owned this plane since 1985 that I spent countless hours of my childhood with him flying. He’s been talking about selling it because he’s getting old. It’s located in Germany, I live in Australia. I’d love to have the money and time to buy it off him and spend a couple of months flying it over to Australia together. Like a aerial road trip. That would just be fcking awesome.

2. Own a house with its own personal runway/hangar with a collection of my favourite aircraft in it (including my dad’s).