After the CFA Program

Is anyone is going to pursue another designation (CAIA, CMT, FRM…etc.) or do you feel the CFA is sufficient for your career/personal needs?

If you are going to pursue another designation, in what area do you work?

I’m done. AM for me.

I’ve been thinking about this, even asked similar question in general discussion forum. Short term I’ve got no desire to pursue additional designations… going to enjoy the free time and time with family then possibly lesiurely work on improving my financial modeling and try to lean a programming language (not a necessity but seems like good knowledge to have and stay relevant, probably just use MIT free online courseware). Long term, who knows, may be get bored and revist this.

Of course, this is a moot point if I’m studying for Level 3 again this time next year.

I hear you. First things first, lets pass this exam!

for sure. pass first.

i heard FRM is not so hard, you can potentially pass 2 levels in the same test day.

I am very used to the studying for the past 2 and half years, it would be a shock if suddenly there is nothing to study for. I may do FRM.

since i dont believe in the weak form hypthesis i am interested in the CMT designation. talked to a buddy of mine he says its a good course for people just gettng into trading!

If, no, let me rephrase, WHEN I PASS, I will party like it’s 1999

I was thinking about CAIA but that seems to hold little value in the finance world

I’ve heard FRM is more for banking risk, is that correct? I plan to pursue the PRM.

I’m done with designations, but I am starting business school in the fall. I think an MBA and CFA will cover me. FRM material looks somewhat interesting; CAIA not so much.

The CMT interests me for personal reasons (trading in my spare time), but will likely not do much for career growth. The CAIA is a little bit more applicable to my career, but I have yet to decide if I will pursue it.

CAIA is still a major unknown IMO

i have never been envious of anyone with CAIA written after their name

I’ll be taking FRM part 2 november. I guess it’s easy. Devoted very less time for part 1 an passed with Q1 in all. Won’t be doing CAIA because that’ll lead me to have the same certifications as Greg Filbeck and I don’t wanna be like him. Also considering MSc in finance from Uk, france or somewhere but it is very expensive and don’t have money.

I just looked through the CAIA curriculumn, and I really don’t see how it adds anything to a CFA charterholder’s skillset. You’ve really got to like spending money and taking tests for it to be worthwhile. I think it’s great that people enjoy continuing to learn, but at some point you’re better off putting the time into your actual career and not into collecting designations that have little marginal value. (I am only referring to doing CAIA after CFA, and not denigrating it on a standalone basis.)

CAIA is for those who cant pass the CFA exam for whatever reason…that’s what I think, take it for what it’s worth

^ that sounds about right

i will be checking if that thing in my pants still works, however i probably have no game now, i will go tell a chick can we have sex in butterfly spread position

I just wish someone would had thrown acid on my face when I was thinking about CFA Level-1 few years ago. These designations are a waste of time. I would have better spent my time doing an MBA from some good school.

^ i feel you, the only reason i am doing it is cause at this point it is all sunk cost, all that keeps me from CFA designation is a couple hundred hours which to me seems like it is worth it

however if 18 months ago i knew what i know today, i would not have started CFA

in 900 hours I can probably make GMAT cry, and do some things that would make me look good on MBA application, and work overtime and save a lot of money for top MBA

anyway, lets kill this sucker.

I have an MSc and an MBA and have been asked why I pursued both. The MSc is far more research oriented and imho, more similar to the CFA curriculum than an MBA. That said, both degrees were good learning experiences, but do not compare to the CFA program. In terms of cost/benefit, the CFA takes the cake.

I’m interested to know why you feel this way. Is it mainly because you think the MBA would have opened better or more doors for you? Has the CFA pursuit not helped you at all?

I’m not judging, just interested to know