Guys, I just got my Study package. This is my first time giving the exam ( level 1 June). I am just curious … being 24-25 is too old to give an exam? I know allot of ppl who are CFA’s by 23. I am just feeling too old… Any input or advices please…

Dude, I’m turning 27 and I’m studying for level I. If I were you, I’d feel very ahead.

I agree, you should feel at very worst on pace. I dont really know about others, but I am 27 and just took CFA level 1 in December. I wish I had focused on this earlier (I also wish I had done the CPA last semester of College instead of waiting until 1-2 years into work…so I would have started CFA sooner). Anyway, it seems everyone has different reasons/career paths for taking it, but from what I can tell you are not that old at all (I feel old at 27 though). Would love to hear others thoughts…

I don’t know where you guys are located, but here in Vancouver, I’ve heard from current big shots that they didn’t get their CFA’s until after a good 10 years of work, so when they were about 32-33ish. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys. I was told age does not matter for education. But when you see ppl at a young age being a CFA holder by the age of 24-25, I feel little bit left behind. But I guess, what is most important the appropiate experience for the exam. Do you guys feel that the education from you CFA has helped you in you career?

It would be very difficult to become a charterholder by the age of 24-25 because of the minimum work experience requirement. I am 22 and would feel lucky to finish by 26.

Well as long you have the exams out of the way… . Experience could come later… have you passed the exam yet?

No, I sat for Level I this December.

I think age is not important, in Turkey, there are few CFA holders and their average age was over 30 when they held CFA. Now I am 23 and began to study for June 2008 for level 1.

when L3 results came out in August, a thread for geezers (over 40) was started on that forum for people to post their results.

sza107 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Guys, > > I just got my Study package. This is my first time > giving the exam ( level 1 June). I am just curious > … being 24-25 is too old to give an exam? I know > allot of ppl who are CFA’s by 23. I am just > feeling too old… > > Any input or advices please… Age doesn’t matter (in my opinion). I didn’t know what I wanted to be in my early 20s. All I was interested in doing was parting and making enough to pay my bills and party. At 27, I know exactly what I wanna be when I grow up and I feel I’ve reached the level of maturity needed to focus on my goals. Some people know what their career path is at 18, some do at 50. If you can do it go for it, age aint nothing but a number :wink:

I feel that the CFA was originally created as a designation that would help complement experienced professionals in the financial services industry. Obviously what started as a designation to pursue in one’s thirties and fourties has over time almost become a prerequisite in this field. I feel that many people who are young take the CFA as a means to further differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack - not necessarily because they truly enjoy studying the material (find me someone who is young and enjoy’s locking themselves in their room on saturday night while their friends are out partying and I’ll eat my words). Therefore as far as age goes, I believe it’s somewhat irrelevant. I don’t think you’ll be behind as long as you have experience working in finance. However, if you find yourself lacking in experience then going up against those in their early twenties might be a tougher uphill battle when it comes to entering the industry. But again, that really depends on the type of position your applying for or what, if any, connections you have. Nothing is tangible the only exception being the CFA after your name - who cares what your age is.

Hey… I may be the oldest guy (38 yrs) sitting for level 1 in June; Do I care…absolutely NO

sza107 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > > > I know > allot of ppl who are CFA’s by 23. > > > You mean passed Level 1 and are now Level 2 candidates? Sure, I know lots of people like that too. Passing the level 1 exam, though, is quite a ways away from obtaining your charter. Maybe you should look at the CFA Institute website and figure out the differences.

You guys are making me feel old (at 34)…

sorry gangrel, Did not mean this to happen. I was just curious about other ages?

I kept scrolling down to find someone older than me, but alas at 42, I believe i am the old timer of the forum!

Sorry your not quite the senior citizen (I am sure you are ok with that LOL) 44 here, will be 45 sitting for L1

im “only” 25… and i sat for the 2007 december exam… would i have sat for it sooner if i could’ve? not a chance… i enjoyed my hanging out and partying too much… its only now that i feel i should try to further my career/education and start taking life seriously =)

I sat for L! at 49. I think I win so far (but I’d rather not…)