Redbaron & Busprof - Thrilled you got me whooped !

HAAAH ur the man !! thats funny… I wanted to take the exam earlier… yes i was partying and working too… but was fun… But i do wanna get this outt of the way

well at 36 and having just sat L1 in Dec i have to say that i felt a little like i was back at uni or something on exam day… whatever. i did my CA when i was 25 and this has been a breath of fresh air in terms of broadening horizons (exclude FSA from that) and revisiting stuff that I think i only wrote learn (con hangover) many yrs ago. reapplying this layer of knowledge on top of 10yrs+ work experience has been empowering and well worth it. i’m with kenanadu, age ain’t nothing but a number…

wait a second. i took level 1 when i was 21 (i just turned 22 on the 9th) and i was told i was insanely early. i thought most people don’t start till their mid-late 20’s. plus, even if i pass them in one fell swoop, i won’t get the charter until i’m at least 25 (you need four years experience, right?) honestly, i wouldn’t even bother thinking it was too late until maybe you’re in your 40’s…but i don’t really think THAT is too late. i just want to get it out of the way asap, but i don’t think anyone who’s older is at any sort of disadvantage.

I think the only thing people should be concerned about is passing, who cares if you are 24 or 50 just pass the test.

nm

I am 26 an just took Level I in December 07. Most people I know that work in finance, accounting, other business fields have never heard of the CFA. A few of my best friends work at EY and KPMG in Dallas, and they haven’t even begun to study for the CPA yet and they are my age as well. So if you are in you 20’s and are studying for the CFA, you are not behind.

Micheal, People ask why in my mid 40s am I starting something new. Fact is most of us will change careers several times before we die or retire. I passed the CPA in 88, Pilot’s license in 94, MBA in 99, Instrument rating in 2000, and CFP in 2005. I may just earn the CFA title and then after a few years try something new. These challenges keep me young. I think it is great that so many young people are willing to take on this exam; it shows some real ambition. But to take the advice of an old guy, never stop learning and never stop challenging yourself. . It is a great way to live. Merry Christmas !

I wrote L1 in December, and im 21… 22 in 5 months Anyone younger?

Wrote L1 in June, just turned 22.

busprof Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I sat for L! at 49. I think I win so far (but I’d > rather not…) No, you didn’t win. A friend of mine (he is also a cohort of mine) just started level I at age of 51. I started level I at age 47 and got my charter at 50.

Sitting for LI in June; I’m 43. Congrats 3 weeks. I am trying to get mine by age 46.

Really good to hear from ppl of all ages… it really helps to know age is just a number !! thanks for the posts guys

I’m hoping to use it to land in ER as a semiconductor analyst. I have an MBA-Chicago, MSEE-VaTech, and CPA and have worked several years in the semiconductor sector in Marketing.

Guys, I am trying to get my fact rights here: Even if I pass the exam by 2009. Starting June 08… I still would be needing 3 years of exp to get the charter? Do you feel the CFa insitute would allot level 2 twice a year?

sza107 - Only Level 1 is sat twice a year, 11 & 111 are June only i believe. Merry XMas all. I’m in the UK and it is raining as usual !

i’m 21…will be turnin 22 in may…:slight_smile: so when exactly is 5 months…nigel128 ? :smiley:

quantforCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’m 21…will be turnin 22 in may…:slight_smile: When I was 21 I still thought I wanted to have a career in engineering physics and quantum mechanics, or had just decided to give it up, I don’t remember anymore. I can’t recall I had ever once heard of AIMR back then. OMX started derivatives exchange that year but I was quite oblivious to that fact back then.

I was 36 when I wrote L1 and will be 37 when I write L3 in 08. I knew about CFA years ago and could have wrote it then however the job I had didn’t make sense to put the time and effort into it. I’ve since changed jobs and hense it’s more appropriate now to obtain the charter. As someone already said, CFA is a professional vs. and educational designation and therefore should complement your position. As a matter of fact, although you can technically go throught the program in 2 years, I thinks the levels are designed to write it when its appropriate in the progression of your career. Thus, this may span over decades. Hence, Level 1 (Basic Concepts and Techniques) --> Sr. Year uni. - Entry Level Level 2 (Valuation) --> Analyst Level 3 (Portfolio Management) --> Portfolio Manager Furthermore, many candidates come from non-business majors and have worked in their respective industries for a number of years and would like to do equity research in their field.

quantforCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’m 21…will be turnin 22 in may…:slight_smile: > > so when exactly is 5 months…nigel128 ? :smiley: April 22nd… Damn so i guess im not the youngest