I just turned 21 a month ago

You guys are all so old… Backward regression makes me 18 years. Sadly that was 12 years ago.

I did Level 1 in Dec 07, 2 months after turning 23. I don’t really see the need to compete to get that CFA qualification when you are in your 20s. Just do it when you feel like it/when the need arises! Do not feel pressured when you see a young dude sitting beside you while you’re doing the paper! Age is no barrier to learning…Aren’t there instances of old folks getting university degrees too? I really respect them for that!

Agreed with HydrogenRainbow, but I say do it early and get it over with the exams if you have the choice. It works to your advantage especially when you’re fresh out of college - your brain is still accustomed to taking exams.

24, writing in June. Was going to start it at 22, but kept putting it off as Finance isn’t necessarily my career of choice. I am working towards an Accounting designation, and having done most of what L1 teaches you, i figured i might as well give it a go while i am young, have the time, and don’t have a family. I want to get all major studying/designations completed by 30.

buffetier Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Agreed with HydrogenRainbow, but I say do it early > and get it over with the exams if you have the > choice. It works to your advantage especially when > you’re fresh out of college - your brain is still > accustomed to taking exams. That’s the reason why I decided to take L1 the moment I was done with my school exams (I just completed my final semester a couple of weeks ago). It really was great skipping some parts for my sch corporate finance exam revision as there was a huge overlap. Otherwise, really, just do it when the time is right for you. :wink:

redbaron - You and I are almost tied in age (I just turned 45) and obviously think the same way. I got my BA in 84, law degree in 87, pilot’s license in 91, instrument rating in 94, instructor rating in 95, scuba certification in 02, and now maybe the CFA (at least Level I but no promises after that). Learning stuff is fun.

I’ll be retired by 35, so I thought I may as well get my CFA before I’m 30.

I plan on writing L1 in December 2008. I will turn 32 the week after that exam.

chrismaths Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ll be retired by 35, so I thought I may as well > get my CFA before I’m 30. > > > > > > > > > > > > > That’s a nice target to have! To retire by 35 :smiley:

i’m 17 and a virgin…

Although it is a great accomplishment completing the CFA program when you are 23, 24 etc, I view this the same way I view going back to business school at such a young age with little experience. I waited 5 years to go back to school and material that was covered in my finance and accounting classes actually related to what I experienced at work. Maybe its just me, but I retain information a lot better when it’s more than just some words in a text book. I also think that most people’s performace at work suffers when studying for the CFA exams. Why waste the first 3 or 4 years in the real world studying when you should be taking full advantage of the learning experience at work, which in my opinion is much more valuable. I think that by taking a break after undergrad and then revisiting this material by participating in the CFA program or going to business school, you get more out of this process. Just my two cents.

Age 22 now, late next year will turn into 23; 2008 lvl 3 candicate CFA is less important compared with the school graduated and the W/E. So just keep hard working…

I’ll be writing my Level 1 in June @ 27. You are ahead, dont feel bad. I dont think age matters much anyhow, its all relative.

I am 21 and writing level I this June. If I do pass all three consecutively, I will be 23, but I will lack the work experience. If I don’t pass them consecutively, it won’t be as big of a deal since I still would need the 4 years.

A ha… I am happy not to be the oldest here. I am now stepping on my beginning 30ths and start with level I. I think it is ok. I totally agree with Jalmy8 opinion. It depends on where u live, yr condition, yr financial service industry in yr own country. Vietnam with new securities market since 1994, so getting CFA now is neither soon or late for anyone want to work in financial fields

I’m 21 at the moment, will be 22 by June 08 L1 exam. I’ve heard of people sitting L1 in Dec last year at the age of 20 just as they finished Uni, but they haven’t got jobs in an investment field yet. I would say the youngest you can be to get a hold of a charter is if you’re 24-25. You would need some serious luck to get a job in the field with no experience and having just finished uni.

Enzoin10 is right! Working environment and experience is very important but the sooner the better i think. Thing is harder if u both work and get CFA every year. Even u have any experience in work, once u hold the charter, u can access problem more quickly. And company prefers something more steady like yr certificate. They will give u chance to apply yr knowledge and get experience. If we have leisure time, chance and ability to learn, why must we wait until 24 or 25 or more actual experience?

I’m 22 and will be sitting for L1 in June. If all goes well, I will be done when I’m 24. Started working full time in analysis when I was 20, so work experience won’t be a problem.

Jeez I hate you young guys- I’m a fresh 23 but damn…21 and passed L1? I wish I had the balls or ambition to take L1 back then…I was too busy doing “keg stands” and “power hour.”