Aggressive Homeless People

If you work in a populous area, or take a train to work, you are bound to run across a bunch of homeless people that are panhandling. It is what it is, and I feel bad for some of them, but every once in a while, you encounter one that insists on talking way more than the initial ask or attempts to insult you if you’re not receptive to the begging. For these, I need to bite my tongue and resist the urge to tell them where to go or to give them my theory on how they ended up in such a sorry position. How do you handle this sort of interaction?

I tell them I left my wallet at the office or home. That way if there were considering to get violent or want to jump me, they’ll think twice and be like… maybe he really doesn’t have his wallet… I’ll wait for someone else.

I look at my Speedmaster and say sorry i am late for a meeting but i will catch you on the way out

I just look them in the eye and say “not today pal” and that usually works. It helps to have an accent that sounds angry to the American ear

there was a bum or a drunk pissing in the sidewalk on my run yesterday. so i called the cops. they are an eyesore.

most of them are mentally challenged so its not their fault. they need proper help in a confined institution.

in the philippines, in the rich parts, they ban bums. there are cops who pick up bums and drop them off at the poorer areas.

pretty funny video of this dude talking about his first real estate investment and bums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_OeCR-xPvc

^ I don’t recall being anywhere else in the developed world where there are so many people on the streets who are clearly mentally unwell and in need of help

I laugh a little, then watch some YouTube videos in the comfort of my home.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxnHckgLIEU]

#BumFights

nyc has a ton but i never felt comfortable in Dublin where there was usually one hanging out by each ATM. like what you think im just going to give you a crisp 20 euro? wtf

soem fun facts:

"In 2004 the United States Conference of Mayors… surveyed the mayors of major cities on the extent and causes of urban homelessness and most of the mayors named the lack of affordable housing as a cause of homelessness… The next three causes identified by mayors, in rank order, were mental illness or the lack of needed services, substance abuse and lack of needed services, and low-paying jobs. The lowest ranking cause, cited by five mayors, was prisoner reentry.

Homeless Assessment Report, as of 2017 there were around 554,000 homeless people in the United States,[1] or 0.17% of the population.

• 4% are Native American (over-represented 4x compared to 1% of general population).
  • 39% of the total homeless population are children under the age of 18.
  • 42% are African American (over-represented 3.23x compared to 13% of general population).
  • 71% reside in central cities.
  • Over 60% of people who are chronically homeless have experienced lifetime mental health problems
  • Over 80% have experienced lifetime alcohol and/or drug problems

anyways i find it hilarious that you would try to engage? why? do you think ur the one that going to change their life? trust me you dotn care enough. be nice/courteous/apologetic then call the cops.

I tell them I don’t carry cash. Which is true. One had a go fund me, though.

If you think NY has a homeless people problem, then you should compare it to San Francisco. There are essentially villages of homeless people there with unparalleled levels of aggression. Why this California city refuses to take measures to encourage people to live decently is beyond by comprehension.

Anyway, there’s no good way to interact with panhandlers. Just don’t respond, don’t acknowledge, and don’t make eye contact. People who I give money to are like those subway musicians. At least they have initiative. Some are pretty good in fact.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY3yzLA-g24]

I was nearly going to write, please don’t post the video of Bateman stabbing that poor bastard. Predictable, but great scene. “You, know, i just don’t have anything in common with you…” Classic.

No, quite the contrary, I don’t have any desire to change their life. I’m talking about responding to their stupid sh*t they say when their handout request is rejected. To let them know my disgust and perhaps have them think twice about that strategy going forward.

And you know I don’t have a choice when it comes to posting AP clips.

^accelent scene. Tank

i don’t walk anywhere really, but i keep small bills in the console of my truck and give whenever asked at a stop light. I don’t care if people are lying as to why they need it. And in reality it doesn’t matter. Acts of kindness put loving energy in the aether and it affects the collective consciousness. a dollar given with genuine love has multiplicative effects and what the person does with it is of no concern to you. give with love and see what happens to the world you witness.

Even if I don’t get a chance to give them money, I make it a point to send love to people who i see struggling. people might think that’s silly, but the truth is we are are antennae and transmitters of energy and our collective experience depends on the type of energy we give and receive.

Aggressive language and posturing. Homeless people are like predators - they prey on the weak and meek because strong opponents are a threat to their well-being.

Then again, I once came across a transient that had a Remington 870 stuffed down the leg of his pants. Hard to say how aggression would have turned out with that one.

i just tell them that i got no money to spare. what with saving for all the cool holidays, coke and bottles, and watches…

This is the only reasonable post in this topic.

It’s almost like there is a runaway affordable housing crisis in major cities. What is the median rent in SF right now? Something like $3,400 for a 1-bedroom. Yeah, let’s encourage the homeless to live better. That’ll do it.