Alphabet soup, annual dues and professional development requirements

Reading this forum I concluded that some people (including me) clearly overestimated and sometimes they were misguided by posts of some forum participants, the numerous certifications and their combined value. Below I made brief analysis and made conclusion. I included two states with or without MBA. Adding PhD overcomplicates analysis but does not change conclusion. The criteria for adding value are increase of competitiveness and ultimate earning power. Let us assume we have following guys With MBA: Mr. 123456, MBA, CFA, CAIA, FRM, CPA Mr. 111111, MBA, CFA, CPA Mr. 222222, MBA, CFA, CAIA Mr. 333333, MBA, CFA Mr. 444444, MBA, CPA Mr. 555555, MBA, CAIA Mr. 666666, MBA, FRM The people that clearly lack competitiveness are Mr. 123456, 555555, 666666. Mr. 111111, 222222, 333333, 444444 are best suited for CFO/Investment type jobs. Without MBA Mr. 77777, CFA, CAIA, FRM, CPA Mr. 88888, CFA, CAIA, FRM Mr. 99999, CFA, CAIA, CPA Mr. 77770, CFA, CAIA Mr. 88880, CFA, FRM Mr. 99990, CFA, CPA Mr. 77700, CPA, CAIA Mr. 88800, CPA, FRM Mr. 99900, CAIA, FRM The people that clearly lack competitiveness are 77777, 88880, 77700, 88800, and 99900. 88888 and 99999 certifications could be considered overwork. Optimal are 77770, 99990. Work experience requirements CPA path is three years in audit and assurance practice CFA path is four year of relevant experience in investment industry CAIA path is one year of relevant experience and equivalent to US bachelor degree or four years of relevant experience FRM path is two years of relevant experience in finance industry. Thus minimum time needed to complete CFA, CAIA is 4 years. But minimum time needed to get CFA, CPA is 7 years. Adding time for MBA would be from 6 till 9 unless you will study during MBA courses. Annual dues for membership CFA 300$ CAIA 250$ FRM 150$ CPA PD >300$ and 40 hours per year. So if you have more than 2 certifications you will have annuity due 400-1000 $, this is significant. And do not forget about time and efforts needed to get PD. Overall Conclusion The best combinations of certifications/degrees are MBA, CFA (or MBA, CPA depending on type of job). If you are not going for MBA then CFA, CAIA or CFA, CPA so other is overwork of various magnitude. Time minimum range is from 4 to 9 years to get the optimal combination. This means no FRM needed. If you are going for MBA, only CFA or CPA is needed in addition. This will maximize job opportunities and minimize costs. PS PRM is a bit better than FRM because of absence of annual fees. FRM is hard exam but has limited career opportunities. Ask people with FRM they sometimes do not even point it in resume.

uhhh… I’ll keep this in mind?

Sleep much?

yeah really. how bout you dedicate this time to studying?

Right, Mr. 123456, MBA, CFA, CAIA, FRM, CPA How does this guy lack competitiveness? Are you saying he is too expensive given his extensive work experience to acquire thos designations as they all require X years of experience in a field? Somebody could have overlapping work experience, for instance someone in a treasury department would have work experience that qualifies for CFA, CAIA, FRM, and CPA. Your conclusions are whack!

Interesting observations. I already have passed the CPA exams, just waiting on the experience req to be licensed. Also taking Level 1 this Dec. Hoping to have both under my belt by age of 27. MBA seems kind of a rip off to me, but I’ll cross that bridge when it comes.

this truly is the dumbest post I have seen in a long time. Not only from the conclusion and methodologies, but the inputs and biases you have. We are all dumber for having read it, and may God have mercy on your soul.

What about a person who only gets a CFA designation? And let’s say for example, that the person in question is smart, business savvy as shit, and has great communication skills. Instead of sitting in the library for seven years, he/she decided to put his/her skills to use. Does that change your analysis?

http://www.beearly.com/pdfFiles/Sellers24102004.pdf

YOU have an annuity due, or does your (future) employer? Where is your empiricle evidence?

Didn’t you learn you are supposed to separate facts from opinion…or in this case opinion from more opinion.

I wonder if this guy bought his BA II Plus Professional calculator in a shop in India for 3600INR + bill… Also, I have deduced that a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato, but without pickles is the best combination, as the cost of the pickles is less than the additional benefits they provide.

sbmarti2-you must mean: Turkey Sandwich 114593 that is much better than Turkey Sandwich 115567

this analysis is retarded. Becky Quick is extremely hot. i like how they have the cameras move around so we can see all sides of her. they need to start diong that for Amanda Lang on BNN and have her walk around and cross and uncross her legs more.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > this analysis is retarded. > > Becky Quick is extremely hot. i like how they have > the cameras move around so we can see all sides of > her. > > they need to start diong that for Amanda Lang on > BNN and have her walk around and cross and uncross > her legs more. I’ll fight you for her

What about an undergraduate degree with no designations but makes firm tons of cash. What’s this person’s value?

Wait, this wasn’t the original post a sarcastic joke?

ok, I am just 24 and I wrote this post because being unemployed since june 2008, I passed FRM, CAIA level 1, took on previous week CAIA level 2, statutory license and two last paper of ACCA exams and got ACCA degree (analog of CPA but deals with IFRS). No I am doing CFA level 2. And IMHO I see useless of some of degrees which I started mainly because of reading this forum and my post is just a bit of analysis which I believe is useful. You can consider me being dumb and I some times also believe in it because instead of having rest I took FRM exam after reading this forum in june.

“Wait, this wasn’t the original post a sarcastic joke?” There’s no sarcasm in a post that long…I don’t care how much time one has on his/her hands.

ok, I am just 24 and I wrote this post because being unemployed since june 2008, I passed FRM, CAIA level 1, took on previous week CAIA level 2, statutory license and two last paper of ACCA exams and got ACCA degree (analog of CPA but deals with IFRS). Now I am doing CFA level 2. And IMHO I see useless of some of degrees which I started mainly because of reading this forum and my post is just a bit of analysis which I believe is useful. You can consider me being dumb and I some times also believe in it because instead of having rest I took FRM exam after reading this forum in june.