AM All Topics below 50 - PM All Topics above 50 & 70 - Any ERROR

Friends, I studied hard and completed AM session almost all parts…I got <50% in all the 11 Topics which is enough to trigger a stir in anyone’s mind…PM scored with flying colors…all topic above 50% and 70%…

Do you think any possibility of an error…I was certainly not that bad as it turns out in score…Any hope in Retab…in history has anyone got any surprise in Retab…

What’s your handwriting like?

Did you clearly number each question on your answer book and follow all instructions correctly?

Yes, warcraftaddict…my handwriting is praised by many…i took enough care in marking the questions and took utmost care to write the answeres at proper place, done it neatly, i demonstrated the steps correctly with proper formulas wherever needed…completely shocked to see the result…even if I got >50 in 1 out of 11…i wudn’t have complained…but this is completely shocking…

I must admit that it does sound strange.

Did you manage to finish all of the AM paper easily within the time limit? I was writing brief sentences & bullet points in handwriting far from my best and I just managed to finish all questions before the 3 hours were up…

Perhaps you filled in your candidate number on the front page of the book incorrectly? It’s all I can think of because, if you did well in the PM, then it’s highly unlikely that you’d be <50% for ALL sections in AM.

How did you feel after the AM? Were there questions you felt confident about? I think if someone ended up with <50% in all sections, they’d know straight after the exam that they’d just had a shocker.

And sorry, I’ve no experience of retab but, from what I’ve read other says, it’s a waste of time :confused:

Thanks again warcraftaddict,

I could not finish 1 or 2 Qs of AM but moment I realised I’m running out of time…I did answer some inportant points to make sure I get some credit…In 1 or 2 areas I was not sure so wrote something that is best I could…

however reamaining say 60-70% parts I did pretty well and was expecting atleast 50-70% bracket…I was not feeling after the AM session ended that it will a straight sweep of all lowest band across all sections.

Getting <50% in all AM topics and >50%/70% in PM does seem pretty odd. I say get a regrade, what have you got to lose but $100. If you don’t, you will always be wondering, “what if?”

Mailtohm, I had almost the same situation as you do besides the my pm doesn’t look that good as yours. But still I am sure I won’t be so bad in the am, accually had good feeling after am. I totally lost, don’t know what went wrong. Think to apply for the retab. What about you?

Mailtohm and zizhao,I got same ,all <50 except 2 in AM and in PM all >50 and 70. This happened to me last yr too,But last yr I was rushed and not able to finish exam. This yr i spcially took care to write bullets and finished everything on time. I just think overall we did not make to te passing score as I have always scored in band8 and this band7. so probably a few correct MCQs would have saved us.

The times where this problem happened to people, is when they wrote their answers on the question booklet instead of the lined spaces. Since CFAI only grades lined spaces, the graders saw basically blank pages, and gave 0 points across the board.

While I sympathize with your situation, to suggest an error is really pushing the limit I think. Your score matrix perhaps reveals a useful detail about the type of learner you are. Maybe you are one of those who definately know whats wrong when you see it written down as an answer choice and struggle to put down your complicated thought process on paper when answer choices are not available like in the am session. I think you just suffered from using a bad "technique" for the morning session. Work on it and you are home and dry.

I am in somewhat of a similar situation as you, and I am wondering whether I should do a retab as well :frowning:

I have the same issue as the OP. I got <50 in all essay sections and did quite well in the afternoon finishing band 7. Had I gotten even over 50 in 1 or 2 sections, I’m guessing I would have passed.

I’ve been thinking of a retab but <50 could just be 40 across the board, not necessarily zero but I did my best to indicate where my answer was and I felt floored after the morning but not that bad.

Last year I was even less prepared and scored over 50 in some morning sections.

I’ve been thinking about retabing as well.

I can’t believe that I have 9 questions below 50% in the moning essay part which is not in line with my peformance in the afternoon at lal. There are way too many odd results this time around which doesn’t make sense to me.

Another one is this thread from yilmazkarakas with the same odd result as above:

http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-iii-forum/91324305

Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 20 - - * 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 15 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Individual 16 - * - 4 Equity Investments 17 * - - 5 Economics 20 * - - 6 Portfolio Management - Institutional 18 * - - 7 Portfolio Management - Institutional 14 * - - 8 Fixed Income Investments 17 * - - 9 Fixed Income Investments 9 * - - 10 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 18 * - - 11 Portfolio Management - Performance Eval. 16 * - - Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 36 - * - - Economics 18 - - * - Equity Investments 18 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 18 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 - * - - Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 18 - - * - Portfolio Management - Risk Management 18 - - *

Cries

Thanh, I have also a very similar result as yours and I was very surprised to see such low scores in the AM vs. the PM. Anyone think that we ran into a couple graders who didn’t follow the same instructions as the rest as far as what answers get credit? I understand that some questions were tough and <50% may be right, but on all of them?

itera

are you sure about this? I placed many of my answers in the spaces between the questions. I was told that was ok to do during the exam. I am afraid that’s why I did so poorly in the AM scoring below 50 in 9 out of 11 sections. My PM was great.

If what you are saying is the case, can’t we retab this? I mean it was never explicitly mentioned to write answers only on the blank spaces page.

i am very surprised with my AM section as well … 4 sections in a row below 50% (plus then some more sectoins below 50%). I thought i did okay. NOw thinking #1. Either i was too wordy or didn’t cover main point somehow (didn’t really pratice writing essay quesiton much) or #2. totally messed up somewhere that i didn’t put them in right place. But then agian, hard to think, i’ll mess up 4 quesion in a row.

You cannot write your answers between the questions. it must be on the lined answer sheets. This happens to several people every year, and these people end up failing everything in the AM. you cannot retab this. CFAI does not regrade AM answers

itera is correct. They don’t regrade anything. You pay the fee for somebody to go and recount something that’s already been counted and recounted already. Save the money and use it for the 2014 exam.

Failing sucks, I know, but learn from your mistake and nail it in 2014.

Help me remember someting … (wondering if i fell for it). If essay question had part a, b, c - was there spaces in between? Were they white space without line & are all answer supposed to go in lined section? I don’t remember exactly - but bit surprised got 4 in a row below 50% (where i thought i did okay). Wondering if i messed up someting.