AM Partial Credit Scoring

Anyone have any knowledge on how they give partial credit? Is there a link? As an example lets say they ask to calculate something and it’s a 6 point question: You write out the equation, and the inputs correctly and screw it up in your calculator. Do you get 2,3,4 ? You do a 12 point IPS question step by step line by line and forget or interpret one part wrong what do you get?

I wonder what happens if you forgot to label your answer

JP_RL_CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wonder what happens if you forgot to label your > answer they dont count it. it said clearly to label all your answers. i made 100% sure to do that.

So if you write the whole answer show all the steps/calc’s get to the end and don’t label it, no points?

Can’t recall if I labeled it or not.

Hopefully it’s clear enough for me. I circled some of the answer’s. I didn’t draw an arrow saying “THIS IS MY ANSWER!”

I kept using the wrong numbers, but I caught myself (hopefully) each time. I wrote a statement for pretty much every answer making it quite definitive. The labelling is important I’m sure, but the marker would have to be pretty cold to give you zero when it’s quite obvious what is what. Don’t take it for granted though I suppose.

I wonder why they just don’t label the pages like they do for the templates, would make it easier. I made sure to underline/circle my answers, thanks to a tip from Schweser…

if you show your calculations and they are correct and clear and final number is wrong because of calculator problem, you can receive full credit

Am I wrong in only labelling A instead of 1A etc - I assumed given I was on the pages for question 1, labelling A would be enough? If that’s not the way I might as well resign myself to a fail already!

Millview Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Am I wrong in only labelling A instead of 1A etc - > I assumed given I was on the pages for question 1, > labelling A would be enough? If that’s not the way > I might as well resign myself to a fail already! I have done exactly that. If you remember, the right margin on the lined pages had the question numbers in BIG BOLD font. All I did was label A, B, C or i, ii, iii. I think we are OK.

CFASniper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Millview Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Am I wrong in only labelling A instead of 1A etc > - > > I assumed given I was on the pages for question > 1, > > labelling A would be enough? If that’s not the > way > > I might as well resign myself to a fail > already! > > > I have done exactly that. If you remember, the > right margin on the lined pages had the question > numbers in BIG BOLD font. All I did was label A, > B, C or i, ii, iii. > > I think we are OK. CFAI states: Each essay question consists of one or more parts (A, B, C, etc.). Some parts will direct you to write your answer in a template. Instructions in bold print immediately following the question will direct you to the page number of each template. All other questions should be answered on the lined page(s) following the question. For these questions, label each part of your answer clearly (A, B, C, or i, ii, iii, etc.) Of course it’s OK.

Thanks guys. I had a mild heart attack there! The one thing I find about these exams is that they are so time constrained that I tend to just launch myself at them. There were two questons that I answered on the lined pages first and then quickly had to rewrite the answers in the template. It’s not the content that gets me it’s the whole double negative, are they asking me that question really or something else etc, etc. As my friends said on Saturday night as “why do you do it to yourself?” I couldn’t come up with an answer at the time but with any luck I’ll be more capable in August :slight_smile:

I didn’[t circle my answer or anything, but I did label A, i, etc…since this is an english exam and we read left to right and top to bottom, as long as you have your answer in the right and/or bottom most portion of the question and on the right side of the = sign, that would be labeled well enough as far as I’m concerned. The exam didn’t say we had to circle the answer, just to make it clear that was your answer. JP_RL_CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Can’t recall if I labeled it or not.

hey when they ask you to write out the calc. lets say the calc for a 1 period dividend discount model do you have to write out like D1 = dividend at time 1, g = growth rate? or can I just show them my plug and play numbers? like… 10/(8%-5%) = 333.3 ?

I suspect if you got the correct answer you’d get full credit. If not, you’d get 0 credit. If you wrote out the terms, i.e - g = 5%, they could get the picture and give you some partial credit.

mp2438 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I suspect if you got the correct answer you’d get > full credit. If not, you’d get 0 credit. If you > wrote out the terms, i.e - g = 5%, they could get > the picture and give you some partial credit. On the calculation questions, I wrote out the equation and labeled my inputs for this very reason.

argh i did not write out the inputs

I tried to write the formula and then plugged the components.

Same here…by writing out the actual formula first, and then rewriting the formula with the correct components plugged in, you are effectively writing out and labeling each component without having to write a second list. jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I tried to write the formula and then plugged the > components.