any good book suggestions?

DoubleDip Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Touching the Void is awesome. You have to see the > documentary too. … I just got The Big Short but > am starting reading for the actuary exam > (Probability) soon, just light reading, nothing > serious like CFA +1 for Touching the Void!

The Inner Game of Golf by Tim Gallwey

just ordered “Damn it feels good to be a banker”

my friend is gonna lend me I Am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne when he is done

Touching the Void…sounds like I need to go to the adult store for that title.

Inventing Money is a favorite of mine!

AlwaysBeClosing Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > michael lewis is a tool. how does someone who > worked for 2 years on a trading desk 25 years ago > think he’s qualified to give speeches on what went > wrong in 2008. my summer intern is more > qualified. You obviously haven’t read the book. Now who’s the tool?

anyone read the Quants yet?

Has anyone read “How I Caused the Credit Crunch?” I suppose it’s probably less serious than the “Big Short” but how does it compare?

cfafa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The Inner Game of Golf by Tim Gallwey Oldie, but a goodie.

Shrute Farms Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > AlwaysBeClosing Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > michael lewis is a tool. how does someone who > > worked for 2 years on a trading desk 25 years > ago > > think he’s qualified to give speeches on what > went > > wrong in 2008. my summer intern is more > > qualified. > > > You obviously haven’t read the book. Now who’s > the tool? I have read the book and it was a decent read. My problem with Lewis isn’t so much his books, it’s him going on Charlie Rose and on the speaking circuit preaching to us about what was wrong with Wall St. Entertaining writer, yes. But when it comes to speeches I’d rather listen to someone who’s actually worked in the biz for more than 2 years in the 1980s.

priceless by william poundstone one of my fav authors http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080909469X/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?ie=UTF8&cloe_id=70fbc1d0-7c7e-459a-8a7a-50e74d72daf1&attrMsgId=LPWidget-A1&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=157851746X&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0K2W8H3PZ59K4JXJCT50

I’ve never read the Harry Potter books, so that is my post exam distraction for now. I’m also going to read “The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society” as soon as I get it back from my neighbor. I also confess that I’ve cracked Whitman’s “Distress Investing”, which reads like a CFA text but has a wealth of information.

Thanks to this thread I’ve got “The Big Short” and “No One Would Listen” on request from the library. Other interesting titles in the genre of Things Gone Badly Wrong is “Den of Thieves” by Jame Stewart - all about Wall Street insider trading in the '80s with such names as Levine, Boesky and Milken. There is some controversey that this title is biased against Milken, but it is an interesting read. I’m also about to read “Smartest Guys in the Room” (Bethany McLean) which is a recounting of Enron. I saw a film version of this in school and enjoyed it, so I am going to try the book too.

den of thieves is good book should be required reading for wall street

Geez guys get a clue! If all you can talk about is finance… sad. You will be that one guy in the corner at the party playing sudoku on his phone because all he can talk about is finance… For people barely able to read a non-financial book, try: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald A great story, fairly quick read, and very appropriate book considering it’s about the decadence that is brought on by the economic boom-bust cycle. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas A classic tale of greed and vengeance, with lots of financial bits, as much of the Count’s plot centers on manipulating the financial markets and taking advantage of banking regulation. Get the Penguin books paperback for $10, as it is a new translation commissioned by Penguin that is much better than the only other existing English translation that dates to the Victorian Era.

+1 on Great Gatsby. Used to read it every year since i graduated college… its just an amazing book that is surprisingly brief. Thanks 'Donk.

I agree on the Great Gatsby as well as The Count of Monte Cristo. Also Dickens’ Great Expectations.

For some reason, I really enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird back in high school

…oddly enough, I re-read some high school classics and thought WTF was I thinking that this was a good book on the 2nd read.