any good book suggestions?

amjf088 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks to this thread I’ve got “The Big Short” and > “No One Would Listen” on request from the > library. > Added “No One Would Listen” to my list as well. I’ve also viewed every available Harry Markopolos video clip available online. Here’s a gem - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw_Tgu0txS0 I’m currently reading Too Big To Fail. Reads like a horror book. The Great Gatsby is fantastic. I will add to the classics list - Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde, Adventures of Huckelberry Finn. Yes…seriously.

OK, OK, wouldn’t want to be the Sudoku-on-the-phone-guy!! For non-finance books, I REALLY enjoyed Ken Follet’s “Pillars of the Earth” and its follow up: “World Without End”. Pillars of the Earth is one of those few books I enjoyed reading twice. All of James Clavell’s “Asia” books, from “Shogun” through to “Tai Pan” and “Whirlwind” are sublime as well.

Someone previously asked about “the quants”. I just picked it up today, but any reviews out there?

Amjf, I really enjoyed Ken Follett’s “Pillars of the Earth” as well. Their actually turning it into a special on HBO. I read it years ago in high school. Ken Follett’s novels are exciting, full of adventure, sex and violence. Especially with respect to topics about WWII, british MI6 etc. Another book of his I would highly recommend is “The Needle”, about a German spy during WWII, “The Key To Rebecca” is also about espionage, WWII era and is an exciting read also. Right now I’m reading Fyodor Dostoevsky’s “Crime and Punishment”. “Count of Monte Cristo” by Alexander Dumas is also very good Never cared much for F. Scott Fitzgerald

nodes Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Must read: > > Barbarian at the gate > LIAR’S Poker > The Black Swan > The Smartest Guy in the Room > Freakonomics > Damn, it feels good to be a banker > The big short by Micheal lewis i’ve read and recommend all of these also, ‘Confessions of an Economic Hitman’ by John Perkins is a good read for this global era.

Just finished Super Freakonomics - it was a good read. The Big Short is next on my list.

friends !! what are you reading now a days ? I found Big Short good…even fool’s gold was ok I dont want to read anything on crisis…tons of books around with same thing any other sphere …sth like macro econ, hedge funds, PE-VC space etc thanks in advance

any comments on More Money Than God: Hedge Funds And The Making Of The New Elite by Sebastian Mallaby

The Holy Grail of Macroeconomics: Lessons from Japan’s Great Recession - Richard Koo not the most exciting like the big short, but a very good look into what we could be facing today.

Animal spirits by robert shiller and george akerlof, gr8 and fast read on behavioral economics

thanks to both of you I will start with Animal Spirits

For those asking about The Quants, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Really humbling to read about all the intelligence out there, especially in an industry where so many people think they are “smart”. While some people will likely focus on those that folded as failures, I think it is hard to think of anyone in the top 1% of earners as a failure. At any rate, I really enjoyed it. Quick read.

And for anyone that enjoyed Outliers, you should probably check out The Talent Code.

Marc Rich- king of oil. Really insightful

A demon of our own design by Richard Bookstaber Must read for anyone remotely interested in Financial Risk Management…not to say that it doesnt make sense for braoder audience

options, futures and other derivatives…Hull

I’m a huge sci fi nerd, but now that I think about it, some of the cyberpunk authors are a good read for finance types. The books in this genre focus on the near future, and often contain alot of insights into the products and markets that will develop in the next few decades. for example, much of the stuff in WIlliam Gibson’s early work (1980’s) is clearly observable today, e.g. data as business model / money maker. I would recommend Charles Stross’s “Accelerando” for a taste of this. Although, there are much better sci fi writers out there right now, if you are more hardcore. Greg Egan, Bruce Sterling are awesome and cyberpunkish Or, if you want something very dark and very clever, go directly to Peter Watts, most of whose work is available online for free via creative commons licence.

‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ was great as was ‘Atlas Shrugged’. I’m currently reading ‘1984’ and ‘The captured : a true story of abduction by Indians on the Texas frontier’, and I’m enjoying them a lot as well. I read Water for Elephants in the spring, it was a fun and easy read.

Liar’s Poker One up on Wall Street Warren Buffett way Traders, Guns and Money ** - Insanely awesome book on the screw-ups in the derivatives world.

My suggestion: The Greatest Trade Ever: The Behind-the-Scenes Story of How John Paulson Defied Wall Street and Made Financial History