Anyone just passed CFA and thinking of doing MBA?

Just passed LIII and scored a 760 on the GMAT – where should I apply? I’m thinking: Chicago Booth, Columbia, NYU Stern, NW Kellogg Perhaps if I get accepted into one of those, I’ll apply to H/W in R2. Opinions?

With a 760 you should be set for H/W/S too, right?

Idk only 2 years of work exp, so not much intl or leadership experience. I could only touch on college ECs and like “anecdotal” leadership experiences – nothing formal like being a manager or PM really. That has me worried about my chances at HBS even with a high GMAT.

NYU loves CFA, have look at their resume book.

Bernanke, care to share? not the book, but what it has concerning the program? how many graduates are CFA charterholders for instance?

Good to know this. If you can share the book, that’ll be great too. Also, do you think you get better chance if you also took undergrad at NYU (just curious). Bernanke Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NYU loves CFA, have look at their resume book.

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > if the CFA was an MBA what would you rate it as? > Top 15-20? > > Is the CFA >= Cornell/UVA/UT Austin? I’d say it would be worth a 40-50th ranked school.

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > if the CFA was an MBA what would you rate it > as? > > Top 15-20? > > > > Is the CFA >= Cornell/UVA/UT Austin? > > I’d say it would be worth a 40-50th ranked school. That’s probably about right, only it requires considerably more work (at least according to a friend who is a Booth MBA/CFA), and it’s value plummets considerably outside of any of the major financial hubs. The bright side is that it costs about 5-10% of the costs of any of those MBAs, and that’s assuming you take classes and seminars for every level.

mossy695 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- That has me worried about my chances > at HBS even with a high GMAT. Nobody has a good a shot at H/S, period. It’s just too competitive. I passed L3 and scored 760 on my GMAT, too. 2 years of WE, international experience and fluent in another language, some leadership experience from college, and currently sit on a junior for a non-for-profit org. I am applying there but honestly do not expect anything, which I think is a healthy attitude for anyone gunnin for HBS. There are plenty of good schools besides H/S.

This is small portion of resume book, students associated with a small fund managed by NYU students studying there, nearly all of them are somehow associated with CFA: http://people.stern.nyu.edu/mpsif/docs/resumes/mpa-resume_book-2009Fall.pdf It’s a very small section indeed. I had talked with some NYU admits with IT exp, they advised that if you have non finance exp and if you clear CFA L3, then your best bet is NYU Stern. NYU also has strong network in sell side ER, so CFA on your Resume will act on your favor. In totality I do feel that NYU favors or must be favoring CFA, because all NYU admits (with crappy experience) around me were associated with CFA.

Bernanke, that’s great info. Do you have any similar insights on Coumbia or Wharton? Many thanks.

Bernanke, are you an MBA student at Stern? If so can you provide some detail on your background?

No, Columbia and Wharton are out of my league, although Columbia is my fav.! All I know about Columbia is that, they are very good at placing their students in PE, after Harvard of course. Edit – quote

Stern students have great resumes. No one with IT background though… Don’t know how good that is for AnalystForum

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bernanke, are you an MBA student at Stern? If so > can you provide some detail on your background? No I’m not, but I know a guy with 3 yr of tech support exp (that too in India) and CFA L3, who got in.

I don’t know if it’s off the current topic, but since everyone’s taking MBA, so here’s my little query: Where you should apply if you have bad GPA (let’s say 2.8/4), anyone with bad GPA here?

Bernanke, that is mine gpa as well and from a top 100 school (double ouch). hoping with a CFA, strong GMAT (studying right now), and strong essays I can break into the top 15

Bernanke, check this out from gmatclub http://gmatclub.com/forum/low-gpa-profile-please-evaluate-63275.html

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bernanke, that is mine gpa as well and from a top > 100 school (double ouch). > > hoping with a CFA, strong GMAT (studying right > now), and strong essays I can break into the top > 15 Wow… nice to see an AF’er in the same boat, same background same target.

I was told that businessweek ranking is not reliable. So what is the general top 15? Can anyone list here? Sorry for the dumb question. Thanks.