Anyone just passed CFA and thinking of doing MBA?

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bernanke, check this out from gmatclub > > http://gmatclub.com/forum/low-gpa-profile-please-e > valuate-63275.html Wait!!! 4.0 in a distance education program is sufficient to cover up your bad undergrad GPA?

Best ranking I’ve seen: http://poetsandquants.com/2010/08/05/our-new-mba-ranking-of-the-top-50-schools/ The Mossy top 15 looks something like this: 1. Harvard Business School 2. Stanford Graduate School of Business 3. The Wharton School – University of Pennsylvania 4. University of Chicago Booth 5. Columbia Business School 6. Massachusetts Institute of Technology Sloan 7. Kellogg School of Management 8. Dartmouth Tuck 9. New York University Stern 10. University of California, Berkley Haas 11. Yale School of Management 12. University of Michigan Ross 13. Duke University Fuqua 14. University of California, Los Angeles Anderson 15. Cornell University Johnson

Mossy, thanks for the link. Anyway, obviously you guys know that rankings are only one indicator of which school you should go to. Geography, lifestyle, and the school’s specific strengths are also important. My wife turned down Harvard for a “lesser” school for these reasons (this was law school though).

Mossy, thanks. That’s very helpful.

$tarving_Banker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mossy695 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > That has me worried about my chances > > at HBS even with a high GMAT. > > Nobody has a good a shot at H/S, period. It’s just > too competitive. > > I passed L3 and scored 760 on my GMAT, too. 2 > years of WE, international experience and fluent > in another language, some leadership experience > from college, and currently sit on a junior for a > non-for-profit org. > > I am applying there but honestly do not expect > anything, which I think is a healthy attitude for > anyone gunnin for HBS. There are plenty of good > schools besides H/S. Totally agree – nobody can take H/S for granted even a little. Its simply too competitive, and the applicants are all just total studs. That being said, I hope that my good GPA/GMAT/WE/CFA progress/etc will make me look good enough at least on paper to get an interview. Then I just have to shine! But you’re right, H/S are in another league in terms of competitiveness. Even the other schools I’m applying to, like Booth, Columbia, NYU – they all have very low acceptance rates. Its a battle out there, and it may come down to factors out of your control such as what mood the adcom is in when they review your app.

I went to a Harvard MBA info session and was quite disappointed with the alumini (some got me thinking how the hell did he got in??) but most of all i really hated a few aspects like not being able to take a semester abroad which for me is super important. Will I apply to Harvard? Probably. Is it my first choice? No. Rankings are important but it’s all about finding your fit IMHO…

Bernanke Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Bernanke, check this out from gmatclub > > > > > http://gmatclub.com/forum/low-gpa-profile-please-e > > > valuate-63275.html > > Wait!!! > > 4.0 in a distance education program is sufficient > to cover up your bad undergrad GPA? This really depends on where you are doing your distance learning from. Many of the top 15 schools offer distance/continuing ed. courses and high marks here would be looked at quite favorably. Especially if these courses are in higher maths, sciences, programming, etc… (anything perceived as challenging). However, that extra big smiley face and gold star sticker in arts & crafts at local community XYZ is not going to cut it.

At the end of the day MBA is worth more for the contacts made while in business school at T+10years if not for the networking aspect would say equivalent depending on industry. in IB MBA is far more valuable while in IM the CFA is more valuable.