Anyone knwo about working in the caribbean?

Hi all There are lots of countries in the caribean that are obviously big tax havens so lots of companies and I am assuming investment companies are situated out there. Im working for a big 4 accountant at the moment (I think they are all represented out there), so my dream (besides the ones involving karenC), would be to go work out on a beautiful caribbean island! Either wroking for a big 4, or maybe some investment company out there. Anyone got any insight on this, do you get lots of time off to be a beach bum or do you have to work crazy hours there? Whats life like there etc.

A lot of people over here take a year or two out to go over there… think it’s relatively normal 9-5 hours if you’re doing accounting but sure there’s nothing to spend your money on so nice bank balance when you come home!

Booze and sunscreen i assume! Will consider this after a couple more years experience here Just not sure if caribbean women are my style. Maybe ireland…

You’ll be in debt after you leave Ireland - the amount of tax levied on drinks here is insane! And believe me - you won’t need sunscreen :slight_smile:

Well then come with me to the caribbean kaz! Back on topic anymore stories from anyone who has or is working there would be great

I suggest Antigua…I hear they have some firm down there that generates solid, risk free returns every year without fail…you can audit their books

im not an auditor, but feel i could do a much better job then their former lot!

Working hours out here are pretty much the same as in the States, at least in my experience. The benefits come on the weekend, as a great beach is never too far away. But if you’re looking for an easier work life … that’s not a guarantee. Just like anywhere else in the world, a lot depends on what company you work for out here and the work environment fostered at said company … There are distinct differences, even on such a small island.

scandoworker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Booze and sunscreen i assume! > > Will consider this after a couple more years > experience here > > Just not sure if caribbean women are my style. > Maybe ireland… Scando, so many tourists you can have a new woman each week with no strings attached. Rent dont buy so when a hurricane comes your house doesnt get thrown in the ocean.

USFbulls Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > scandoworker Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Booze and sunscreen i assume! > > > > Will consider this after a couple more years > > experience here > > > > Just not sure if caribbean women are my style. > > Maybe ireland… > > > > Scando, so many tourists you can have a new woman > each week with no strings attached. Rent dont buy > so when a hurricane comes your house doesnt get > thrown in the ocean. What a lovely sentiment!

KarenC is the only woman for me. But should things not work out, i like your think USFbulls!

Men!

Is it generally easy to get work permits for down there? I’d like to get some exposure outside of Canada, and down south would be a viable option for sure.

Spent some time down there at a Big Four. The two main hubs are the Cayman Islands (hedge funds and structured finance) and Bermuda (insurance). I’m not sure if you’re aware of this scando but the funds in the Caribbean are not actually managed down there. All investment decision making is done “onshore” (generally NY or London). The funds are simply “registered” offshore for regulatory and tax purposes and outsource their back-office admin functions to offshore service providers. So what you find on the Islands are a bunch of administration shops who push paper for the funds. The work can be incredibly boring. In fact, I found it to be far more mind numbing than my audit days in a North American city. (Thank god my audit days are behind me). If you’re in audit, I think the busy season in the Caribbean is just as busy as onshore (very late nights). The rest of the year is generally 9-5. Life on the Islands is kind of what you make of it. They are very, very small and unless you are a scuba diving or snorkeling fanatic, it is easy to become bored. On the flip side, I can’t say I minded the sunshine every day and living in a condo on the beach in the Caribbean. I just couldn’t do it for more than one year.

I can see where you’re coming from with it getting boring, but I would look at it as being relaxing. I’m a bit of a bibliophile, so sitting on the beach in a deck chair with a book on the weekends sounds like a great time to me. But yeah, you do it for a year or so and then move back.

Planning to go lay on a beach on a mat with a good book, chilled coconut drink and nothing but clear blue sea and sky for a couple of days… So i’m with you there man. Would do it for maybe one week then i have to get active again.

Mona8835 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Planning to go lay on a beach on a mat with a good > book, chilled coconut drink and nothing but clear > blue sea and sky for a couple of days… So i’m > with you there man. Would do it for maybe one > week then i have to get active again. FYI I enjoy long walks on the beach… haha

you go walk i’m gonna bum around in the ocean and watch the fish swim. HAHAA

scandoworker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > im not an auditor, but feel i could do a much > better job then their former lot! please go and be a fund accountant in the caymans

fund accountant is even worse monkey work than low level audit. requires zero knowledge but you do need to be able to push paper VERY fast.