Anyone pass CFAI sample exams and FAIL last year?

Is performance on these truly NOT indicative of exam results?

I did… I got over 70% on both sample exams I tried, and I failed the real thing, mind you though I marginally failed… Will probably fail miserably this time around though.

how much over 70% were you on the samples?

I don’t know what happened to N.Van last year, but > 70% on two sample exams makes it pretty likely that you will pass.

unless you do the sample exams open book… hehe jk

N.VanCandidate Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I did… > I got over 70% on both sample exams I tried, and I > failed the real thing, mind you though I > marginally failed… > Will probably fail miserably this time around > though. Terrifying.

N. VanCandidate, I read what you wrote above and now I’m in need of a clean pair of shorts.

That really is scary N.Van - why do you think you will fail this year?

I need a hug

N.Van you should probably calm these people down. Reasons why N.Van could get > 70% on sample exams and fail the actual exam. 1) Couldn’t sleep for three days prior to the test 2) Left calculator at home 3) Had stomach bug and threw up four times during exam 4) Discovered that his girlfriend had left him two months prior and in his studying frenzy hadn’t noticed. 5) Treynor-Black wasn’t on any sample exams 6) Spent half the time flirting with the proctor 7) Filled in ovals with a #3 pencil 8) Has severe agoraphobia and was freaked by the Javits Center 9) Cheated on sample exams by invoking “lifelines” 10) Folds under pressure

Joey I want you as my lifeline. You can expect quite a few calls come 6/7.

jpm351 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That really is scary > > N.Van - why do you think you will fail this year? because I have not studied nearly as I studied last year…I’ve probably studied about 30-50% what I did last year and last year this time I was in much better shape than I am this year…along many other reasons… I got so clsoe last year to passing it killed my motivation all together… Joe was correct: 5) Treynor-Black wasn’t on any sample exams

I had my money on #4 and #7. Those damn #3 pencils

so…were you scoring in the high seventies or just breaking seventy?

ozzy609 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > so…were you scoring in the high seventies or > just breaking seventy? mid 70’s, 73-76 from what i recall

whoops. And ANOTHER pair of shorts ruined.

I did too. My top score for one of '07 CFAI exams was 83%. Whilst I believe that the CFAI exams are a good example of what the actual questions are like, you have to beware of CFAI trying to completely screw you over in certain vignettes come exam day. For ppl who sat the '07 exam they would know what I am referring to ( eg CFAI having an entire Portfolio Management vignette dedicated to TB, or having the Econs vignette testing intricate details of the growth theories). These curve balls WILL be the difference between you passing and failing. My advice would be as follows - dont let a ‘pass’ score on this years CFAI sample exams give you a false sense of security. As come exam day if you are borderline pass/fail you could find that CFAI decided to dedicate an entire vignette to some obscure LOS which you paid little attention to - which will push you towards a FAIL. N.VanCandidate: you failed with me last year, however your results were far more borderline pass/fail than mine. Would you agree with what is written above?

Would it be even a good tactic to study things that aren’t on the CFA sample exams?

This thread is not helping me

no kidding - I’m really sorry I asked