Applied for membership in advance of 9\8

What are you gonna do with the ‘CFA’ letters in 2-3 weeks?? lol…

Touché.

What does under “Under Review - Society” stutus mean? Does it mean that my experienc was approved? Why it has to be approved twice, once by CFA institute and second by CFA local society? Do i have to apply to the local society?

Probably waiting for you to pass so they can come back to you with the approval and your charter in one email.

FWIW - I had applied for membership and had gotten my work experience approved prior to the exam last year and paid my annual dues, etc. I did it to motivate myself to study and get it done. All I had to do was pass the exam. So, on August 11, I opened up a ‘Pass’ email. Honestly, I was more relieved than anything. Two hours later I logged into the CFA Insitute website and the ‘, CFA’ was after my name. THAT’s when I got really happy and excited. And now, in the CFA membership directory, it shows August 11, 2015 as the date my charter was granted. Some of my other friends and colleagues show the same date as well.

Yeah, I applied for membership prior to the test results this year. I feel if I fail then it’s a tax on my hubris and membership w/o charter does have a few cool benefits. If I pass, I don’t have to wait a month or two in agony about work experience approval and various approval metrics. I’m the guy that buys movie tickets in advance than rather wait in a line. I hate inefficency.

I read somewhere that the affiliated membership was recommended if you did not have the required work experience. I accidentally was about to apply for this, but read this thread before I finished the app – I was confused because they didn’t ask to submit work experience for approval.

I’d say if you live in a country with no society and want to continue in finance, you may want to move to another country. Or…you can probably reach out to the CFAI to see if they will work with you to establish one. I’m sure they’d love to add another country to their rolls.

Submitted my application on Thursday last week. Followed up with all 3 references the same day and they replied by Friday morning (London time).

Monday evening (London time), i received an email saying all approved. It seemed too good to be true, phoned CFA and they confirmed verification/approval. So it took less than 48 hours.

If i pass, i will pay and activate. If not, i will think about it.

Is that how it works? Once they’ve approxed you just have to call in and pay dues, and then you can add the letters to your name?

My work exp. was approved last week and is with the local society - would there be any other reason the society doesn’t approve my application?

Verified/approved effectively means green from both the CFA institute and local society. Once that is done, it shall show up in your profile. And hopefully, if we pass, then yes it is allowed to use 3 letters as soon as the dues are paid.

And it is not necessary to pay the dues within a certain amount of time from approval.

Re reason for society’s decision…it varies from society to society - how often they meet, their workload etc. I am based in london and UK society seems to be pretty quick.

All this along, i was told one month as the best case scenario; i was surprised to see it all done in 48 hours.

To be a member. To be a charterholder you forgot the small detail of *passing all three levels of the CFA exams.*

I think they could do a better job of explaining the levels, but this is how I consider the hierarchy in the context of how a rational candidate would apply:

Affiliate Membership: Agrees to Code of Ethics; lacks work experience and (typically) CFA exams.

Note: Technically, a person w/o job experience but passed the exams may choose not to be an affiliate to save money while picking up job experience. Conversely, a person that has work experience could remain an affiliate (although that’s just dumb). I guess a person could have all three and remain an affiliate but that’s insane.

Regular Membership: Agrees to COE; has work experience; has not completed CFA exams.

Charterholder: Agrees to COE; has work experience; has completed CFA exams.

Yeah of course re: passing the exam, I was just asking about the administrative piece

beatmeup, good, very good/

yes

I have my work experience approved and provided 3 work references. It’s currently under Local Society Review (since 12 days).

Am I correct in the assumption that if I got approved for the regular membership and pay the dues right away I can put the three letters after my name IF I would receive positive news on August 9th?

I wouldn’t use the letters until the CFAI explicitly says it’s ok. It would be awful to stumble out of the gate and get the letters taken. That said, a post in this thread seems to imply the designation is bestowed very quickly after all the steps are taken:

You’re right. Let’s just hope time goes by quickly

will you get a diploma in paper form in case you pass?

Hi All,

Those who applied for the designation, would you be able to give some hints on what kind of points you have outlined in your job description and how long was the description? Is it a page thing or a few sentences?