Applying to b-school on a lark -- is it worth it?

After another day of dealing with retards at work I wonder if it’s really my time to go to b-school. Personally I think MBAs are a joke academically and only worth its cost for getting a higher paying job later. That being said I just spent the last half hour browsing through Harvard’s on-line application. My question is, is it worth it for me to go through the aggravation of completing the application, getting the recommendations, paying the fees, and taking the GMAT before the October 1st deadline? My hangups are that a) as accomplished and bright as I am I am not ultra-confident that I will be accepted to Harvard or any other of a handful of other schools that I would attend if accepted, such as Penn, b) if I were accepted I’m not 100% sure I would attend, and c) I am not sure if I want to fork out the $$$ to apply to multiple schools and take the GMAT. The upside is pretty obvious – getting a name like Harvard or Penn on the resume and pushing my career forward, and if I don’t apply will I regret not seizing the opportunity while I had the chance now? Is it even worth me doing the application or should I just spend the $250 on a 5-year subscription to Vivid Videos online?

no

Dude, aren’t you like 30? Are you looking at full time or exec programs?

I read somewhere IHIHM is actually 37.

just deal with morons at work and enjoy p0rn!

shortest post ever by numi

know this - by attending a top mba school you are in effect purchasing 1) a rolodex and 2) a life-long brand name. everything else these schools supposedly teach you is marketing schpiel. so, if your life will be incomplete without 1 and 2 then go ahead apply. simple. going through this process has made me a realist. the people who made it rich and still continue to work didn’t do it for the money. they did it because the $$ gave them the means to absolute freedom. freedom from the taxman, politicos, bosses, even time…

thommo77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > shortest post ever by numi and that too without editing. This should go in a record book

Forget about Harvard just start day trading.

You have not seen idiots until you sit in an MBA class

I was reading on the GMAT website that it takes 20 days to receive your score. But then I was reading another post where numi was bragging about his score the same day he took the test. So if I were to do the application do I have to take the GMAT at least 20 days before the October 1st deadline or can I take it on 9/30 and brag about it like numi?

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was reading on the GMAT website that it takes 20 > days to receive your score. But then I was reading > another post where numi was bragging about his > score the same day he took the test. So if I were > to do the application do I have to take the GMAT > at least 20 days before the October 1st deadline > or can I take it on 9/30 and brag about it like > numi? I did GMAT right before I applied. They give you your score right after you take the test and the admissions people take your word for it and then GMAT sends them the official results a few weeks later. Not sure how it works at all schools.

Average age at Wharton last year was 29. I have a 30 y/o friend who is attending, it’s a pretty normal time to do mba.

You will get the score on the same day. They will also ask you 4-5 different school names where you want to send your scores. That’s a free service but for every additional school, they will ask you to pay $20 or something. In the meantime, you can brag about your mock test scores.

The only score you don’t have is to the written part basically, which isn’t that meaningful. I think you are correct in your assumption about the academic part. You certainly aren’t going to learn anything new regarding finance. You may however take away some good tools for thinking about other aspects of business such as strategy, operations, and marketing. While they won’t make you build a better financial model, you may have more robust thinking when making your investment thesis/assumptions. Then again you may not. If you’re looking to make a job change and you want to move up, getting an MBA may be a useful tool. If you’re career is already fairly established (and it sounds like it is) I don’t know that you’ll get a lot of value other than additional padding of the resume and some good contacts.

I was kind of hoping this wasn’t the case (that you get the score same day) because I was trying to find an excuse not to apply. But sounds like realistically I could put together a strong application in the next 30 days if I really wanted to…good thing numi really blew me away with his advice.

Based on my experiences 30 days is not enough to put together a strong application. I’d spend at least a month or two just for the essays. You’ll be amazed to see how many times the essays change before you hit the send button.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- Is it even worth me doing the application or > should I just spend the $250 on a 5-year > subscription to Vivid Videos online? Never pay for online p@rn.

itstoohot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Based on my experiences 30 days is not enough to > put together a strong application. I’d spend at > least a month or two just for the essays. You’ll > be amazed to see how many times the essays change > before you hit the send button. He is JTLD/ihihm. Faster and Smarter than Chuck Norris.

cfaboston28 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > itstoohot Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Based on my experiences 30 days is not enough > to > > put together a strong application. I’d spend at > > least a month or two just for the essays. > You’ll > > be amazed to see how many times the essays > change > > before you hit the send button. > > > He is JTLD/ihihm. Faster and Smarter than Chuck > Norris. touche